Think I'm Gonna Do It!

sweetaudrey

I think I am going to change to Ro's Way of Organizing files- by color coding and separating my collections. *breathe* I am so afraid that if I break apart the collections- that I am going to loose some of my "mojo" and that I'll regret not seeing everything that goes together in one spot. BUT I know that I will save tons of time; if I had specific things like eyelets, word art, and papers in specific places, instead of going through collection after collection looking for something.

I need some moral support! I know I've heard you girls over and over recommend Ro's way of organizing, and I have read and reread it, and am certain it will be fantastic. But the goober that I am has to make a big deal out of everything. lol. Oh, and did I mention that I am dreading the process too- I can go a little crazy during sells and I truly am addicted to the Boutique, so its going to take forever!!

Suggestions, comments, praise, warnings? Or should I just jump in and not look back!?

Best of luck indeed!! I'd have to agree with you in not splitting the collection kits. Could you have two things going...one as a set and the other as Ro suggests? Hmmm!

Please let us know what you think once you've gotten this completed. I would love to hear your comments through this procedure!

Here's a little cheerleader for you too :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

I have everything split up. I do have another folder with whole collections though. I did that one second. But I've found that I really don't need it because everything is so clearly labeled, I cansearch for the collection name and everything in the collection will come up. I just have lots of hard drive space.

why dont you do 1 thing at a time Audrey? take say your papers....or just pink papers..then move to the next color & see it go faster.

how did I do encouragment wise?

Caren

I've an EHD, plenty of space so I have kits and organized files. If I pick a paper out of the background folder, I know where to find co-ordinating pieces, in the complete folder. I feel it's a bit like re-inventing the wheel, the designer has already done the major work. But I like the organized files to get me going.

For encouragement, start with your new purchases, you will get to see everything in the kit as well.

Hey. I guess I could go back and check...but I thought Ro's method involved tagging (I think that's what it's called) from the Window's system. Oh, it's called shortcuts. I have my collections in tact but have shortcuts by types/colors/etc. The shortcuts don't take up any computer space (well, not enough to worry about) and you still have the collections together.

Audrey - this same exact fear of splitting up my collections sent me straight to ACDSee -- I don't split them up, they're still in their original location, but they're nice and tagged - I can find anything by any criteria I want -- I've tagged and tagged until I'm blue in the face, and now all I have to do is click on the category, and VOILA! Up it pops, and everything is nice and organized by collection.

Just a thought for you. :)

GOOD LUCK, whatever you do! You can do it -- it really does make scrapbooking more fun when you're grabbing things from all over the place. It's fun to go and look for a tag, and find something completely different than what you thought you wanted, and it's PERFECT for the page!

Oh i was once so afraid too... i didnt want to do it!!

but i found once i had it done, i LOVE it! I go to get that frame in that one collection, so i go look in the frames.. and guess what, right there is another frame that works way better! I LOVE IT!!

Once you are used to it, you will love it too!

Angela

I'm like April, I have it both ways. sometimes its best to just work with one collection, but sometimes just the right paper, or frame. or flowers embellie from another collection actually works better. It doesn't hurt that bad, really it doesn't.

I'm a tagger and use Adobe Bridge, which means I have the best of both worlds.

I need to make a confession to state what I'm about to say next. My confession is that I do have some things from other websites (no where near as much Scrapgirls though). I want to be sure to credit the right people, so I've kept things in folders by website, and then have subfolders by collection. Then I tag everything, by what type of item it is, and then whether it was free, purchased, or commercial purchase. So there are usually at least 2 tags per item. I don't tend to tag by colour because I'll change the colours anyway if they aren't quite right.

I'm not sure if this is an encouragement really. But can I confirm for you that there are a lot of benefits of being able to find things by the type of item (as mentioned by others above). So, now, choose your method!

I'm with Angela on this one! I feared it as you do now, but now I LOVE it! You will begin to see all new possibilities in your papers and embellishments!!! I think re-organizing actually helps the scrap mojo!!!

Audrey, I just started doing this last weekend using Picasa!!!! I made "album" catagories with all of my goodies (same as tagging). It took me awhile but WOW, it is so great. I can type "frames" in the search box and all of my frames pop up. I type "flower" and all of the flowers from all of the collections pop up. Once I find a flower that I like, I see what kit it is in...then type that name in the box and the entire kit shows up in the picasa window.

I am so glad that I took the time to do it! I am more excited than ever to scrap :)

Guest miss bumble

I took on this mammoth task about 2 weeks ago, as it was a huge job, (so many collection, not conplaining though) I'd set myself goals, to organize at least 4 collection per day, problems I have is,I keep stopping and cooing over them seeing things I never noticed before, it's going to take forever at this rate. All my kits are in alphabetical order, and I'm only on the D's, 3 cup's of Expresso later and the E's are getting closer.

I have'nt looked at how to use bridge yet, but the way Ro has explained her way of organizing is Fantastic and so straight forward and easy once you get into the swing of things, it's hard to beat. Also have a shortcut to my Goodies file and pressto it's all there in folders waiting to be opened all neat and tidy, if DH knew I was organizing my stash, I might have to go oranize his sock draw ouch maybe I'll have to tag his sock's so they won't get lost. Nightmare xx

Hey. I guess I could go back and check...but I thought Ro's method involved tagging (I think that's what it's called) from the Window's system. Oh, it's called shortcuts. I have my collections in tact but have shortcuts by types/colors/etc. The shortcuts don't take up any computer space (well, not enough to worry about) and you still have the collections together.

This is what I do too and it works great - I can access by collection or group. If I know the name of the item or collection, then I know right where to go. If I need to browse for just that right element, then I look through the tagged files and I can see all of the fasteners, or frames, or flowers, or word art, or whimsy drawings, or whatever. it is the best of both worlds. I just have to remember that if I decide to move things around I have to do it through my organizer program. I use ACDSee to accomplish all of this.

I couldn't get my mojo until I organized like this, it was so much easier and funner for me to do layouts this way, I could easily mix and match with the papers sorted by color etc. You'd be surprized how well things go together for everything when you just mixed them all up. I LOVE this system and would never go back! :)

I've an EHD, plenty of space so I have kits and organized files. If I pick a paper out of the background folder, I know where to find co-ordinating pieces, in the complete folder. I feel it's a bit like re-inventing the wheel, the designer has already done the major work. But I like the organized files to get me going.

For encouragement, start with your new purchases, you will get to see everything in the kit as well.

I break up all my kits and....NO TAGS!!! Gasp!! I love it, it is very quick (once you have it in place and split things up as you get them.)

On the RARE occasion that I want to use something from a collection, windows, PSE organizer and Adobe Bridge all have search features where I can find all of my 'BMU_' products or go one step further and find all my 'BMU_ShabbyFabulous' items.

Once I split everything up, I find that I rarely even need to see everything from one collection. I also have a folder where I download all the previews for the collections, etc. I can peek in there too, if I want to know if there is a matching frame or something.

GO FOR IT!! you will love it!

OK! I'm convienced I need to do something. I also use Adobe Bridge, should have mentioned that.

I have to say, I'm kinda confused now (not hard for that to happen). Is tagging where I keep eveyrthing where it is, label it, and then find it by searching? And is that different from Ro's method or did I just not understand that? I always find a way to make things just a little bit harder....

I want start organizing pretty soon...it sounds like this is going to bring me more "Mojo" rather than take it away!

Thanks girls!

Oh Audrey! I'm a long-standing member of the goober club. I can't bring myself to separating my kits for the same reasons you mentioned. Plus, with my A.D.D., I'm afraid I'll never find things that go together. So, I'll give you all the support you need to say "go for it," and please let me know how you like the system.

Now, I'm going to read everyone's replies to this, as I'm really interesting in what everyone has to say. Good luck!

I have mine set up like April. I've used Ro's system, but I have a separate folder where I've kept my collections together. That way, I can find everything from one collection, if I need it; but I've, also, got all of one type of thing in folders like Ro describes. Thank the Lord, I learned my lesson about organizing before I started here at SG. So I've been organizing from the beginning. Makes it easier now. You can do it, Audrey! Good luck!

Remember that all the files have the name of the kit in their title. If you really need to find them all, you could do a windows search for that part of the name (eg search "DressUp" brings up EVERYTHING with that in their title. So as long as you aren't naming your documents or other files the same as your Scrap Girls files you should be able to find them.

I have never scrapped this way, and I actually just thought of it now. I usually just go through each folder looking for what I need but I might try this next time!

I also have a folder where I download all the previews for the collections, etc. I can peek in there too, if I want to know if there is a matching frame or something.

This is what I do. I put all the previews into one folder called KITS in case I want to refer to them. I never have though!

I discovered scrapgirls and Ro's organizing method before I had many elements, so I have been organizing them this way almost from the start. It works really well for me.

Thought I would update... :)

Ok, I'm on a roll. I am going with Ro's way, and while I am still in the early stages- I can tell I am going to love it!!! My papers look so pretty! I can tell everything is going to be easier to find, and I think I will have a better knowledge of everything I have when its complete! :)

I've made getting organized my main goal this month- but since the weather is going to get goofy- we are planning on staying home all weekend- I'm sure I can get alot accomplished then- as long as we have power!!

Thanks for the "push" girls!

Archived