What Brand Of Laptop Is Everyone's Favorite?

Shelbi

I love my laptop.

I have a gateway.

But apparently it is on it's last leg. I have had quite the day trying to figure out what to do. It keeps locking up on me and I have had to do the hard shut off thing more times today then I like to admit......

I am trying to decide if I should take it to geeksquad to see if they can fix it or just get a new one.....

I had just upgraded the ram this summer too.

Anyway, I was wondering what you ladies had that you liked and would recommend.

I should say that I use my laptop ALOT. It is MY computer, no one touches it but me. I use it everyday, for work, for play. So I want a pretty durable one.

Thanks.

I'm pretty satisfied with my old dell. I would certainly look at them. I have an HP pc that I really love love so I would look at those too. My first laptop was a gateway and again I was satisfied with that. I've sort of been looking recently and Sony would be one i would consider as well. Its really hard to choose, with so many available with so many features. hope you have everything backed up. Happy hunting.

Michelle, I had a Gateway that I just LOVED also! I had just added RAM this summer as well. It's quickly dying and had to be replaced. I'm still in the throes of transferring all of my files to my new computer ... a Mac. I am in love with this new computer. Definitely a bit of a learning curve, but simply an amazing machine. If you are able to consider switching over to a Mac, I would suggest you look into it. On the other hand, we have some Dells for our business and have found them to be very nice. There are several old threads on the mb that are filled with suggestions for new computers. I read over most of them and found them extremely helpful. I would encourage you to do the same. Good luck on finding your new baby!

You already know my opinion, but I thought I'd send you a not so SUB-liminal message:

mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...ma

c...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...

mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...mac...ma

DELL! It's the only one I'd recommend. But before you take the leap, are you sure your Gateway is dying? I wouldn't necessarily go to the geeksquad, mostly all they want to do is reformat the hard drive and reload the OS - they are not in the business of troubleshooting. Do you have any warranty left? Can the Gateway people help?

If it really does fail - please take a very close look at Dell. As Jaine said, even if you need service, they are excellent and fast. No questions asked!

Good luck!

I just bought a 3rd Dell. The one we bought in 2003 is still working fine. We have given it more RAM and a bigger hard drive since then though. The one I bought dd a few days ago is a Vostro because it comes with an XP downgrade. It has a reputation for being a more durable machine. The first two are Inspirons. Good luck!

I have a 17" widescreen HP - I really like it, it's very durable, and it's my baby. :) It seems to have had a few issues with speed (like... when I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to shut a program down, it likes to LAG for a bit before popping it up), but other than that, I don't have any complaints. I LOVE the 17" screen -- whatever you get, get the 17". For scrapbooking, it's the only way to go! That is, if you have to get a new computer...

I'd LOVE a mac. I would LOVE it. Love, love, love. If I had the $$$ when we were buying this computer, I would have SO gone Mac. *sigh* They're SO pricey though. I got my HP at CostCo w/ a $300 off coupon - and I see those coupons all the time. It was a pretty good deal, for the amount of RAM and Memory I got on it - I was pleased,and still am. I love the sleek look of it, too, btw.

If I could afford a mac I would get one in a headbeat....

We are looking at dell's currently.

We JUST got a new hp desktop and I have to say I am hating the monitor, hating the vista, so I have a bad feeling about hp right now, sorry (to those who love it).

My gateway (that I LOVE) has been acting weird for awhile. I can only open word in safe mode, some days I can only open outlook in safe mode. It won't work with my EHD anymore, I was on the phone with them for 2.5 hours yesterday, they thought the seagate software was bad so we uninstalled it but now my computer freezes up everytime I try to reinstall it.

in fact it freezes up when I do almost anything......

I can't shut if out the right way anymore. I have a friend who thinks that windows is corupt (how would you check that or fix it?)

Thanks for the help ladies, I will continue working on it. I was wondering how the dell monitors are cuz I'm ready to throw the HP one out the window, and it is a lovely 24 in!!!! I would love it if it didn't give me a headache to look at it and if the colors weren't all wonky. We got it at sam's for $750 it was a grea deal!!

The nice thing about a Dell is that you can customize it and pay for the extras that are important to you. (Like a bigger hard drive and extra ram) They threw those in along with a better DVD burner when I ordered last Tuesday. I upgraded the processor too and her computer was around $700. We buy the 15" machines because they are lighter and use battery power more efficiently. (Remember, I am married to an engineer) I have a totally tricked out desktop computer that I use most of the time, so a laptop is not my main machine.

I got a Dell Inspiron and I ordered it specifically with XP, NOT Vista!! (I don't know if you can do that anymore, but this was just last year - Dell were the only ones still offering XP as a choice). I absolutely love my Dell and we are currently thinking about a laptop for 14yo DS, I will go Dell again.

We have 3 Dells in the house, all 17s, all with vista. We are the few that love vista, I use it at work too.

My shallow favourite part of the Dell was choosing the colour. DH has black (boring), DD has spring green, I have espresso brown (not boring, looks awesome with my furniture). See, I told you I was a little shallow :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well my poor gateway is dead.

I am online right NOW ordering a Dell with a 17inch screen.

It probably won't fit in the cool new laptop/camera bag I bought JUST SO I COULD TAKE MY LAPTOP AND COOL CAMERA ON THE PLANE IN ONE BAG WHEN I GO TO THE SCRAPGIRLS CONVENTION......

But oh well......

I ordered the Pink one (see I'm shallow too) I kinda wanted the plum one but that would take longer to ship.....

The pink one is pretty. I have blue, and it came way darker than it looked in the photos. Purple wasn't an option last year. They were back ordered forever last year, and I would have taken even longer for mine to get to me if I'd gotten pink. :D Guess dh wouldn't take it so much if I had though. ;)

Enjoy!!!

My first laptop was an HP and it was a good computer, but I soon needed more of everything when I started digiscrapping. So I just bought a Compaq Persario A900. It runs with Vista, which for me wasn't hard to get used to. I've got 3 gb , Intel Processor CPU with 1.73 GHz with a 32 bit operating system and a 17 in monitor, which I just love !

I really love the computer and it didn't take long to get used to Vista.

But to save my memory I use a Seagate Maxtor 500 gb EHD so all my supplies are on the EHD which saves my 3 gb of ram. HTH , I also was very pleases with the price , about 700.00

New computers are such fun!

I've got a Dell XPS. I love my little rocket. One of the things you can do with an XPS is change the colors of the glowing lights on the case. I have a choice of 16 different jewel tones. I'm using ruby, to match my red case.

Ngaire,

I can't wait to meet you and Joann!!!!

One of the reasons I was in such a hurry to get another computer is I was so worried I wouldn't be able to get to the convention. How could I scrap without a computer????

I had a thought when I went to the computer store to pick up my "old" laptop, the repair place wanted SO much money to put in a new hard drive. I think I am going to buy (anyone know where I can get one for cheap) and put it in myself (is that hard)? and give my old laptop to my DS.

He is really getting into computers and since that one has XP on it (the guy at the place said that I could get the OS cuz I have a number for one on my laptop, like maybe I can download it or it might be on my restore disks) he could use that Alice program I want him to learn. It doesn't work with vista (or if it does it takes lots of messing around). He was so disappointed when my computer died cuz we were going to put it on there.

[quote name='Shelbi' date='Sep 12 2008, 01:23 PM' post='503491'

I had a thought when I went to the computer store to pick up my "old" laptop, the repair place wanted SO much money to put in a new hard drive. I think I am going to buy (anyone know where I can get one for cheap) and put it in myself (is that hard)? and give my old laptop to my DS.

He is really getting into computers and since that one has XP on it (the guy at the place said that I could get the OS cuz I have a number for one on my laptop, like maybe I can download it or it might be on my restore disks) he could use that Alice program I want him to learn. It doesn't work with vista (or if it does it takes lots of messing around). He was so disappointed when my computer died cuz we were going to put it on there.

You should be able to put in a new drive. Bob buys them at Fry's and get pretty good deals. Your xp registration numbers are still good, so you shouldn't have any problem with that. It isn't that easy to put one in and get everything up and working. You need drivers and stuff too. Have any friends like my dh around there? He works for good chocolate. :D

that[/b] easy to put one in and get everything up and working. You need drivers and stuff too. Have any friends like my dh around there? He works for good chocolate. :D

LOL. Well you know April we have family in Oregon!!!!

When I bought the computer the Geek Squad at best buy made me a recovery disk with apps and drivers.

would that help me?

I do know a woman who knows a guy who she uses for all her techie stuff I hear he works cheap, but not for chocolate. LOL.

My DH is threatening to do it, he's great with CARS not so much with computers.

Archived