Picasa 3 Beta Is Out!

kidsrgr8

I've been watching this thread with interest. I had an earlier version of Picasa years ago and liked it but didn't have that much use for it. Now that I'm digiscrapping, however, I'm wondering about getting this new beta version. I use PSP X2 and wondering if anyone else using Picasa uses PSP.

My dilemma with PSP is that it has its own "organiser" where it refers to the files on my computer. However, what I want to do is keep all my collections together but "shortcut" links to them in other folders, eg. papers, flowers, ribbons, etc. Hope that makes sense. PSP can't see the shortcut files so I gave up on that idea.

I'm just wondering, can Picasa work like this? Or is it the tagging that is making all the difference? And if so, maybe I should just be tagging my files in PSP and seeing if that works?

Not sure which way to go... any ideas?

I've been watching this thread with interest. I had an earlier version of Picasa years ago and liked it but didn't have that much use for it. Now that I'm digiscrapping, however, I'm wondering about getting this new beta version. I use PSP X2 and wondering if anyone else using Picasa uses PSP.

My dilemma with PSP is that it has its own "organiser" where it refers to the files on my computer. However, what I want to do is keep all my collections together but "shortcut" links to them in other folders, eg. papers, flowers, ribbons, etc. Hope that makes sense. PSP can't see the shortcut files so I gave up on that idea.

I'm just wondering, can Picasa work like this? Or is it the tagging that is making all the difference? And if so, maybe I should just be tagging my files in PSP and seeing if that works?

Not sure which way to go... any ideas?

Hello! Picasa is free to try, so I would play around with it. Make sure you uninstall any other versions of Picasa. Then load Picasa 3. Make sure you look at earlier posts and once it is installed go to the area where you make sure to check that you have .png files checked.

Then have fun with it. It only takes a snapshot of your harddrive so it does not make other copies of your files. Once installed, type "orange paper" in the search box it the top right hand corner. Any files with those two words in it instantly pop up. Try typing in "blue". You will see a beautiful array of blue papers and embellishments. The designers at Scrapgirls do such a fantastic job naming their files.

If you can't drag and drop the element you want to use into your program, try right clicking on the file which should bring up a box where you can click "open file with" and look for PSP. That may work. I know it works to open the element in Photoshop.

HTH!

Thanks Lynn, you're right, it is free, and I should try it!

Yes, you should try it. I have been able to use it w/o any tagging and it is sooooo fast. I had ACDsee and found that it was extrememely slow and would shut down unexpectedly on me. I went through a lot w/ tech support and they never were able to fix the issue. Fortunately, they are going to give me a refund.

It's free, so no big deal to try and if you don't like it, just uninstall it.

Good luck!

OH, and I meant to say that I had an earlier version of Picasa a long time ago. I don't remember which version, but I didn't like it at all and now I love it. So, it might be worth a shot for you.

I am super excited about this new version of Picasa, especially after reading everyone's comments. :) However, I am leary about downloading the Beta version. Any thoughts on this? Seems like it would be better to wait until all the bugs are worked out of the program possibly. I don't really know, just nervous about downloading it if they are still working on the program. Anyone know when it will be released as a non-beta version?

where do you get the upgrade for 3? i went to my picasa 2 and went to help and check for updates and it said i am up to date...but i have picasa 2 so thanks for pointing me in the right direction...and let me know if there are any bugs? dont want to mess with a good thing..i love using it for picture finding and making webalbums to send...dont use it much for adjustments to photos, use cs3

where do you get the upgrade for 3? i went to my picasa 2 and went to help and check for updates and it said i am up to date...but i have picasa 2 so thanks for pointing me in the right direction...and let me know if there are any bugs? dont want to mess with a good thing..i love using it for picture finding and making webalbums to send...dont use it much for adjustments to photos, use cs3

[/qote/]

I think that what Lynn, Cynthia and I are talking about is using it to organize our digital scrapping supplies as well as photos. It is great for searching for supplies for your layouts. I rarely use if for editing photos. I use PSE for that. As far as bugs, I don't know yet. It's free, so I don't see what it would hurt to try it, unless you have Picasa 2 and all your stuff is tagged. In that case, you might what to figure out if your tags will transfer over. I don't know the answer to that. Lynn might have figured it out.

Here is the link to download. If you have Picasa 2 already you will need to uninstall it and then install Beta 3. If you don't do it that way, it will not recognize your png files properly.

http://picasa.google.com/

I am super excited about this new version of Picasa, especially after reading everyone's comments. :) However, I am leary about downloading the Beta version. Any thoughts on this? Seems like it would be better to wait until all the bugs are worked out of the program possibly. I don't really know, just nervous about downloading it if they are still working on the program. Anyone know when it will be released as a non-beta version?

I don't know about the non-beta version, but I do know that Picasa 2 is still available, so if you don't like 3 you can just download Picasa 2 again. HTH.

I don't tag things either, Jennifer. It's never appealed to me to put that much time into it. I use Ro's system, and I've added a few of my own categories (to adapt the system to "me"). I don't have a problem with duplicating my files if needed. In other words, if I have a Christmas border, I put it in my "Christmas" folder and also copy it to my "Borders" folder. I have 4 small kids, so I named a folder specifically for baby/kid things. If I have a jar of baby food, it goes into my baby/kid folder, and another copy goes into my "food" folder. That way, I can find anything I want quickly. Sorry, if I'm confusing someone else, but it works for me! :P

I don't tag things either, Jennifer. It's never appealed to me to put that much time into it. I use Ro's system, and I've added a few of my own categories (to adapt the system to "me"). I don't have a problem with duplicating my files if needed. In other words, if I have a Christmas border, I put it in my "Christmas" folder and also copy it to my "Borders" folder. I have 4 small kids, so I named a folder specifically for baby/kid things. If I have a jar of baby food, it goes into my baby/kid folder, and another copy goes into my "food" folder. That way, I can find anything I want quickly. Sorry, if I'm confusing someone else, but it works for me! :P

That's pretty much exactly what I do. I have found that I can find most everything I want in Picasa w/o tagging. I don't really have time for tagging. Maybe one day!

Archived