Acdsee Specific Question About Tagging

viperwife

Hi all - for those of you using ACDSee, how specific do you get in your tagging? I started the other night and got super excited with all the possibilities, which has now seemed to become my downfall. With papers, for example, most are 1 color. Blue is blue. But what about patterns, where there are equal amounts of several colors? And would you then further label things like "plaid" or "stripes"? How crazy do you get with the tags? I'm overwhelmed by the options and just want to get through this and start getting used to ACDSee after creating 2 entire sets of everything (1 of complete kits and 1 of everything broken up). Tips?

I am just starting to tag stuff in my Acdsee, too. When I encounter a patterned paper, I tag it with "pattern," and then "stripe," "plaid," or "flowers," plus I tag it with the main colors that are in it. That way when I search for a color, I may get a nice complementary paper to go with it that I wouldn't have ordinarily considered.

HTH!

I tend to go crazy with detail. I do what Jennifer does with the paper. When it comes to flowers and word art I try to group them ie - roses, lilies, daisies etc. Word Art - girls, gals, love, get well, birthday, mothers day, etc.

Ribbons I do curles, stapled, bows, wraps etc.

I too was keeping 2 sets of everything, now with ACDSEE I am eliminating the second set and keeping the kits together. Sometimes you know exactly what kit you want and can find it easily that way.

HTH.

I usually recommend new users start with a simplified list. It's faster for tagging just main categories of stuff...like I have all my papers in 'papers', my 'fibers' has ribbon, ric rac, stitching, string...anything fibers...ETC. Then when I have more time I break my main categories down into sub-categories. And since everything is tagged in some kind of basic grouping first I can function and get some scrapping done. As I go I see where I'm more frustrated...like my first thing to sub-cat was wordart...I'm addicted to calendars so I needed to create a separate place for days, months, and calendar numbers/years/etc. Now I'm not slogging through dozens of Monday's when I'm looking for a good quote or sentiment. KWIM? Anyway, I'm letting my search patterns tell me how I really do things and what makes sense for my organizing.

Anyway, I'm about to update my style available for download at DSI and have a speed tagging blog post I need to update as well. But I went ahead and linked them up just in case that helps.

Kristi

Thanks all - I think I just need to do it and not think too much. Honestly, sometimes I find myself sitting for several seconds thinking "well, is that really a green or more of a khaki? And then would that then be categorized as brown?" Plus then there are patterns within a neutral color . . . I think I just need to slog through it and create a system that makes sense to *me*. I've looked up the style that Kristi posted and may use that (haven't unzipped it yet) but I think I just need to get some courage and then jump in. Hopefully over the next several days I can come up with something that makes sense!!

Archived