Slow Downloads With Vista?

JenniferZ

I cannot download large files on my new PC laptop.

It's a Dell that came loaded with Vista. I have it on a wireless router, but have no problem browsing the internet (though sometimes it takes a minute to load a page -- I think it should be faster, but it's not a huge inconvenience), or sending/receiving emails, so I don't think that's the problem. It has 4GB RAM and a 320 GB hard-drive with plenty of room and a T8300 processor), so IMHO I think it should be screaming fast!

However, I subscribe to a digital magazine that is in excess of 200 MB. My new computer transfers this download at around 35kb/second, which means the transfer would take HOURS, if not days. But when I download on my old desktop (Windows XP, 1GB RAM, 200GB hard drive, T1300 processor), I can download it in less than 5 minutes. Can something be done? I googled solutions and it seems that I'm not the only one with this problem. Many people said that they uninstalled McAfee and that solved the problem, but my computer didn't come with McAfee, so that won't work for me. (I have a paid subscription to Norton/Symantec, which came pre-installed.) Am I doomed to download on my desktop and transfer via the EHD, or do any of you know of a fix?

PS: ScrapGirls downloads take FOREVER, too...Help!

Ok, I'm using a Dell with Vista...

I did switch from IE to Firefox... that seems to work a little better for a browser... Actually I keep them both...

And, I use Extract now to unzip my Boutique purchases...

Both of these are freeware files...

And, I am wireless... and I'm not experiencing the slow response like you are talking about..

My new laptop has the home version of Vista running with IE on a wireless connection and my downloads aren't taking as long as yours. I think my desktop is a wee bit faster than my laptop, but not by a lot. Sorry I don't have a suggestion for you.

disconect the antivirus while downloading & I know this is not a popular statement but get rid of the Norton/Symantec. That is one virus software IMO & others I know that will mess up a pc quicer than you can blink your eyes. McAfee seems not to bother any of of pcs in the house or office. & 1 more thing ...check to see if your internet service provider has free virus program. We have comcast & get McAfee for free. The last but not least thing I would try is a spyware program on top of the virus program. You would be suprised to see how quickly a spyware will slow down the whold pc.

Hope any of this helps!!

We quit using Norton a while ago because it can really slow things down. It depends on your settings, but it can be running all the time in the background and bog down your system. They don't make it easy to get off either. When we were still using it several years ago, we changed the settings to update at night (when no one was using the system) or just when we clicked okay and it got better.

Well, I have a wireless laptop with Vista and it actually downloads faster than our desktop that has XP on it. So, I would try to disable any anit-virus software that you have and see if that helps. I don't think it has anything to do with Vista, although I could be wrong. I hope you're able to resolve it!

Hmm...I looked in Norton for a disable feature and I cannot find one. (On my desktop with XP, I just right clicked the icon and it would give me an option to disable for x number of minutes. Not so on this laptop.) I guess I am blaming Vista because my desktop has this same version of Norton and is fine and this laptop SHOULD be screaming fast (and it is for scrapbooking and non-internet-related activities.)

For those of you who gave up on Norton -- what anti-virus/spyware program do you use now? I don't want to go without it!

I am currently waiting to "chat" with a Norton tech...I'll keep you posted.

SO FRUSTRATED!

Jennifer

I Quit using NORTON, a while back and so happy I did.

I went to McAfee, best move I ever made.

It's not that expensive - just make sure you get the version that is a FIREWALL, and anti virus...

ONE option I would NOT do, is stop my anti virus software for every download - that is the POINT of a Firewall and anti virus software...

I might do that for one single thing... but to stop it every time...

Why have it at all..

Don't go that route...

Well, I had hoped for the best, but got what I expected from Norton's Chat Session -- no help. I was told that my problem was due to the fact that I have auto update checked and that I have to do it manually. So, I did the upgrade and when I reported that the system was up do date and protected, I was told to restart my computer, which effectively ended my chat session and I just tried to download a video and now it's loading at 16kb/second. ARGH!!!!!

Archived