Do I Need A Separate Negative Scanner?

Guest deannayh

Guest deannayh
:unsure: [b]If I want to scan the absolute best quality photos/artwork AND Negatives...Are those combo scanners ok...or do I need a separate scanner for the negatives?[/b]

I am looking for a 12x12 or larger format scanner right now. Should I not worry about limiting myself to the ones with "Negative scanning cababilities" and get separate scanners...or go for the combo?

thanks,
deanna

I personally own the Epson Perfection 3170 scanner and it is my work horse use it nearly every day (because of the job here) scanner. It scans photos/artwork/negatives/slides and the results a great. It has the special holder to do negatives and slides. I can really say that Epson has it down. Mine is a couple of years old now so they probably have new editions, but this one is working so well for me that I don't have any reasons to look around for another one.

If it should happen to go on the fritz one day, I'll simply go straight out and replace it with a similar item because it has done just a good job for me.

Not this one. It's 8.5x12

I have a Mustek A3 USB scanner that does nearly 12x12 (11.78 x 17 or something... close enough that you don't miss anything).

I have to tell you though, I've pretty much given up on 12x12 layouts because those albums don't fit on my shelves. (I use 8.5x11 for paper and 8.5x8.5 or 8x8 - reduced from the origianal 12x12 - digital prints).

So now even though I have the bigger scanner, I don't use it much at all anymore. But is a decent scanner and it only cost me $140. It mostly sits here unless I'm going to scan in some of my hand-painted 12x12 papers or something like that now.

My Epson is my workhorse all-day-use-it-constantly scanner. If it ever went down, I'd have to immediately replace it. And I'd replace it with an Epson. The scans from this thing are great.

When I was at Scrapworks and Making Memories, we had some scanners by different makers and the scans just weren't as good - and some of those scanners (particularly the MM ones) were very expensive.

Guest ScrappySue
I just noticed my scanner is also the Epson 3170 (DH got it me for Christmas and I know he does a lot of research before buying anything!!) and agree with Ro that it is awesome. It is the first decent scanner I have ever had and I am so pleased with it :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Good luck with your search!

Guest deannayh
The only scanner I currently have is part of an all-in-one, and EPSON CX5200. It's a printer (that part died about 3years ago), a scanner (does good job, I just need a larger one) and a copier (died with the printer)

I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but I need a need a larger scanner for large background pages I make. I also need a different scanner to do an insane amount of negatives ( I have been into photography since I was able to hold a camera) My first camera was one of those little 110 thingies :rolleyes: And yes, I still have my negatives! (Including actual pictures of the Space Shuttle CHallenger. What a sad day that was) :(

And the printer part, I have already replaced with my Canon i9900 (which I *LOVE*LOVE*LOVE!) I am going to get a cheap laser printer to do my transfers, I'm tired of going to the copy store and paying them all that money! I really want the Xerox 7700, but that's not going to happen unless I win the lottery considering it runs about $5000.

Anyway, I like the sound of your EPSON Perfection 3170 quality, but I know I will be frustrated if I can't do the larger sizes. I do a lot of 12x18 stuff right now and I hate to buy the smaller one, only to have to spend money again to get the larger one. I just want to spend money ONCE - you know, do it right the first time :)

deanna

Archived