Cutout Text?

Guest Ruth Graber

Guest Ruth Graber
How do you cutout text so that the layer underneath shows? I thought I saw how to do it once but can't find it. Also, once that is done, how do you apply an inner shadow? Any help by you geniuses out there is appreciated.

Ruth

Normally you type the text on the layer using your text tool. Most programs create a new layer for this automatically. Then you just add shadowing to the layer, as usual.

Does that help at all?

If you are porting in text created in some other program (such as Word), then you will need to get rid of the white background that comes along with it.

If that's what you need to do, let us know and I'll tell you how to do that.

But I will need to know what software you are using!

[quote name='Ruth Graber' date='Feb 16 2006, 07:21 PM']How do you cutout text so that the layer underneath shows? I thought I saw how to do it once but can't find it. Also, once that is done, how do you apply an inner shadow? Any help by you geniuses out there is appreciated.

Ruth
[right][post="33333"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

In psp use the cutout effect (effects/3d/cutout) and then a drop shadow (effects/3d/drop shadow). Just position the shadow so it falls "inside" rather than "outside."
Lori

This technique is probably the long way around... but works with any program that has a magic wand. I usually have three layers. The layer on the bottom you want showing through. The layer you want cut out and then your text on the top layer. Make the text a color that is completely different than your second layer. Position your text where you want it. Merge or lock the text layer and the layer you want cut out. Using the magic wand select the text once it's merged, hit delete and it will cut it out from that layer. After all the text has been deleted or cut out, add a shadow to the cut out layer (creating shadows is different based on your program.) move it until you've got a shadow on the inside. Then lock or merge your cut out layer and background layer if you want it one object.

Guest Ruth Graber
Forgot to mention I am using PSE 3.0. I tried linking the two layers together but it won't let me link a text layer with another layer. Is there a way around this? It seems I read something about a mask layer? Is this a way to do it? What is a mask layer? I'm quit stumped.

Ruth :blondmoment:

Archived