Cropping Guidelines For Bound Books

sheriL

I'm working on the pages to put together my very first bound book (I usually just print loose pages), and I'm a little worried about the space I need to leave so nothing important gets cropped off. I know you're supposed to leave about 1/2" breathing room around the edge of pages going into bound books, but I'm wondering about the inside edge where the book is bound. Do I need to leave a bigger space so my stuff doesn't get lost in the binding?

Oh, and since I'm completely a novice when it comes to this project, does anyone have any other tips that would come in handy?

TIA!

I just had one done by shutterfly. They provide on their site, templates for the front cover, back cover, spine and pages, including trim lines showing you where your buffer zone should be. For the pages it's about 1/8 inch. Mine turned out awesome!! You'll love it! Good luck! :D

For the CM StoryBooks I allowed for about 3/4 inch on the inside edge of my pages to accommodate for the full-bleed printing, trimming and stitch binding. It works great. And I give myself 1/4 inch guides on the outer edges of my pages as I'm creating and that has worked perfectly for my printed, bound books!

Have fun :) You'll love the final product! Seeing your digi creations on paper in a bound book is a rush :)

I've had books printed by Shutterfly and Artscow. They use the same sizing templates, and you can download them from each site. The only issue I've had with the binded side is making sure I leave just a little extra (like 1/8th inch) for any journaling that may be there. Because when the book is open the journaling may be harder to read if it's close to the binding.

And Ang is right - it's an AMAZING feeling seeing your LOs in a printed book.

Thanks guys! I'm really excited. Most of my scrapping doesn't really fit with making a bound book - I don't scrap by theme, or chronologically, I just do whatever pic jumps out at me at the moment, so if I waited for enough related pages to be done, they'd never get printed. It will be so fun to see them in a book!

Archived