Where To Go From Here?

Guest MtEmilyScrapper

Guest MtEmilyScrapper
So I've purchased Ro's videos for PS CS2 (have watched 18 of 30 of them and can I say "wow"!!!)...I've purchased some collections and have backed them all up and unzipped them.

I have read most of everyone's comments about how they organized their downloads, and this is pretty much where I'm confused. The collections and other things have been purchased, downloaded, backed up, and unzipped.

I now have a folder on my desktop called "ScrapGirls" (original, eh?). Inside this folder, I have several more folders that I renamed such as Baseball_SG_BVA (Baseball Grunge, SG = ScrapGirls, BVA = Brandy Valenzuela). I figured that I would be more likely to find it by looking for "baseball" than anything else.

However, what do I do with the ones where I only downloaded one particular element of something, i.e., Groovy Girl Alpha Biggie. I don't have the whole collection so really shouldn't have a folder named Groovy Girl.

Do y'all separate your alphas out into one folder and not leave them with their other elements?

I've also seen where some of you use Picasa to keep your elements organized. I have this free download, but I don't understand how you're using it for element organization.

I feel really stupid here :blondmoment: I'm just not getting it. I want to make sure I do this "right" from the beginning and not end up with a gazillion elements that I need to come back in later and re-save, KWIM?

I guess I need to figure out what is the easiest way to know what I have when I'm in the middle of doing a LO with PS. I did print a hard copy of the picture of the collection/alpha/etc. off the web site so will have those available with my short-cut name of my file on it, but I can see where that will get out of hand in a hurry...at the rate I'm buying things

;)

Am I talking a foreign language here?? Can anybody help this newbie...please...with sugar on top :breakdance:

TIA! Trina

Maybe someone has it at their finger tips, but I'll try to go back and find the newsletter this morning where Ro gave a really great way to organize your files. I organized mine using her system (with a few personal modifications to suit me of course) and it's fabulous! It's really working well for me and also making it very easy to organize new things as I download them.

The only major modification I did to Ro's system is that I keep a folder of "Collections" as sometimes you know you just want to work with all the elements from one collection. However, I duplicate the files and file all the pieces and parts away in the way that Ro laid out.

I'll try to find the newsletter for you.

I'm really new to paper style scrapping myself and just spent time yesterday organizing my little collection, so I can relate. I can see the day when I have tons of stuff that everything will have to be organized by color or type of product like Ro suggests, but right now I'd just have a bunch of empty folders as I don't have that much. So here's what I did...

The first thing I did was make one big Scrapbooking folder and under that I had a couple sub folders for kits/paper and another for templates.

Some of the collections I have contained upwards of 10 different subfolders which contained subfolders. I found working with so many folders and subfolders for one collection awkward. I'm the type that needs to see everything together so I took all the papers and embellishments from one collection and put them together in one folder and left the alpha's for that collection in a subfolder. I did this for each of the collections. That helps me cause then I can just scroll through that folder and see everything next to each other.

And then I organized my single papers by color. I put all my templates in another folder.
So that worked for me right now with not a lot of stuff, now I just need practice, talent and time, lol.
Lori

Guest deannayh
While I like to organize my[i] paper crafts[/i] stuff by color, I do not like to do the same for the [i]digital[/i] ones.

Paper I cannot change (well, you know what I mean)

Digital I can change the color or alter it at any time.

So I like to have my "collections" organized by theme (like flowers, stripes, grunge, sweet/soft, sports, beach, brushes, etc) Kind of like the mood of the kit or item.

Then I have a jpeg of the "kit preview" or "item preview"all of the items in the same folder. I have to be able to see things right in front of me.

I have a separate "preview" jpeg for each alpha I have (wether it's in a collection or by itself) in an alphabet folder. That way, I can just "flip" through my jpegs and see what I have and pick the one best suited to the mood of the page. If I need to change the color, I can, but this way I am not limited to what color the item came it to begin with.

I rely heavily on these jpegs. If I can't "see it", I get frustrated. I am someone who doesn't get confused with more options, I NEED more options. So, this works for me.

deanna

I too was not organized until that newsletter from Ro. I then went through and organized it and wow has it made scrapping so much more easier. Before I was doing it by themes as well or kits, but it still made it a little bit more difficult for me to scrap. Now I can scrap based on my picture. Pull up the one I want, see what colors go with the picture and try to accentuate it, so then go to that specific paper>color> and have tons of options of red, rather than just the one red that was offered in the kit. It has really opened the door to a whole different world of scrapping with a little bit from everything. It's been so much more faster too. I can still recolor the one I choose if needed, but I love Ro's system she mentions in the newsletters.

Guest deannayh
[quote]satippetts,Mar 1 2006, 02:56 PM]
I too was not organized until that newsletter from Ro. Before I was doing it by themes as well or kits, but it still made it a little bit more difficult for me to scrap.[/quote]

maybe I need to go read that newsletter...

Guest MtEmilyScrapper
[quote name='DreamsNJ' date='Mar 1 2006, 05:32 AM']Try this one, it's the last newsletter in December.

[url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/Chit_Chat_122805.htm"]http://www.scrapgirls.com/Chit_Chat_122805.htm[/url]
[right][post="34174"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

This is actually what I have printed out and was *attempting* to work from, but where Ro says, "Full PNG--these are the full sheets of PNG files that we provide to you..and Full JPG--these are the printable sheets that we provide to you...," I'm lost.

I do have my little file folders inside my MAIN file folder on my desktop (which I named ScrapGirls), but when I click on the file folders, I don't get the pictures of what is inside...I get MORE file folders. I am officially file-folder-out-of-control :bouncing-frog: :bouncing-frog: :bouncing-frog:

I understand the concept of separating everything out, but as far as HOW to do it, I'm completely ignorant. Are there very simple "separating you digital elements for dummies step 1-2-3" anywhere on the web site?

I'm sorry to be a pain. It's just not clicking :o(

ScrapGirls recently started seperating embellishments into two files. One files offers embellishments as SINGLES or where you open just ONE embellisment per window...AND they are files as FULL PAGES, where ALL the embelishments are on a page or two. If you purchased a collection that is a year old or so, there are ONLY full pages. So that might be in your confusion. All files in PAGES come in JPG files for the paper scrappers, so that they can CUT them...the PNG's are for DIGITAL scrapbookers because they have transparant backgrounds. If you don't paper scrap, you really don't have to save the JPG files...just the PNGs. YOu can always make a JPG out of a PNG but it is harder to reverse that.

HTH!

I also used ro's system and it's working great, though since I was a lot out of control w/the downloads, it took FOREVER to reorganize everything. I also renamed all my files so I could quickly decipher who and where. I gave every site and designer a designation ( not all sites are nice like scrapgirls and already have initials for their designers - at least not ones I can remember! thanks ro!) and kept a spreadsheet in my scrapbook folder, so if I forget initials, I have a reference. This also keeps my files in order inside the folders, ie - all SG's are together, than by designer, then collection. (SG_VRA_martini_#####) This also lets me find all the pieces of a collection, even though they are in different groupings, I got rid of all the subfolders, only the catagories (paper... red). I can use my search in Adobe Bridge to pull a list of all V's martini collection or all items by VRA, for example and can then save the search w/o having to move all the files again. So far, is working much better for me. (BTW, I too tried to print out thumbnails for reference, but after two full notebooks, I gave up....)

Guest Katzkidz1dog
This thread caught my eye. I'll have to keep all the advice I'm reading here in mind. My dream is to get a, what is it? A zip drive or whatever it is that Ro has talked about. If I get too many elements on a layout my computer sloooooooooooowwws waaaaaay dooooowwwwwwwn and it makes it tedious to get a layout done. I've only completed 3 mind you. ;)

Guest deannayh
[quote]jaxscraps,Mar 2 2006, 10:13 AM]
BTW, I too tried to print out thumbnails for reference, but after two full notebooks, I gave up...[/quote]

This is what I am afraid of. Any easy suggestions?

[quote name='deannayh' date='Mar 2 2006, 03:11 PM'][quote]jaxscraps,Mar 2 2006, 10:13 AM]
BTW, I too tried to print out thumbnails for reference, but after two full notebooks, I gave up...[/quote]

This is what I am afraid of. Any easy suggestions?
[right][post="34362"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

I found by just setting up my computer folders to display thumbnails, I could scroll through my lists to see my items faster than flipping through a book. Also saves on ink and paper and shelf/table space. That's why I minimized my use of folders, so I could see more at once w/o having to keep opening folders, this way I just switch between. Just works better for me.

Guest deannayh
[quote]I found by just setting up my computer folders to display thumbnails, I could scroll through my lists to see my items faster than flipping through a book.  Also saves on ink and paper and shelf/table space.  That's why I minimized my use of folders, so I could see more at once w/o having to keep opening folders, this way I just switch between.  Just works better for me.[/quote]

That's what I am currently doing and , yes it seems to work fine. I would just like a "hard copy" as well.

deanna

Archived