"bending" Fiber In Pse 4 (mac)

B&K Mom

I've got a nice piece of fibre that is perfectly straight. I have already used the Filter>Wave to give it a little motion. But I really want to hang it between 2 brads and string a charm alpha on it. When I use it as it is right now, it looks a bit stiff. Is there a way to bend or arc the fibre? I tried shear and skew without much luck (maybe I just don't know how to use that well enough?). I'd like it to work like Warp Text does for my titles when I choose "Arc". Does that make any sense?

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

Debbie

Good question. And you've tried more options than I have. lol I need to go play with some of those options some time.

Hopefully there IS a way and someone will clue you (us) in on it. :)

I just went and played a little.

I have a PC not a Mac if it matters.

So you already tried view>distort>wave ?

I got a cool wave out of mine...but not just one long hung wave/arc. It arcs downward twice. I was playing with the sliders...that's the least amount of waves I think I could manage. But, I/you could just use part of the fiber in one arc, maybe?

I did learn how to pinch the fiber. :) I didn't know that was possible in PSE4! Cool!

I'll go try again...

Now I'm playing with different options. lol

I did view>distort>twirl (I've never even clicked on that before lol) and played until I got one big arc up which sort of squiggled down to one big arc down. You could just use the part of the arc you want. Do you need the whole 12" length of fiber in one arc?

OK, I'm working with PSE5, so I hope you have the same options. Try Filter+Distort+Liquify. You'll get a new toolbar that pops up. Select the warp tool (mine is at the top), move the circle over where you want the dip and drag down. If this is too small, make the brush size larger until you get it the right size.

Let me know if this does what you want.

I was just playing with what JoEllen just said.

Over on the left I clicked on the 3 waves (is that warp? lol) and on the right I chose a HUGE brush size and a very small jitter size. It seemed to work pretty well.

Learning all sorts of new things today! lol

Just tried again...this time instead of clicking on the 3 waves...I clicked on the finger. It's the top option on mine. That one works even better. (Is that the Warp, JoEllen?)

:)

Debbie,

I typically use Filter > Distort > Shear to bend things. You can add multiple nodes. The trick to this option is you have to have the item you want to bend in a vertical position. If it is horizontal it won't work. (I don't know if you had your object horizontal or vertical.) You can add mulitple nodes for various resulting and waves.

Shear.jpg

This is what I bent with just one node.

Shear2.jpg

This is what it looks like afterwards.

I hope this helps. Let me know.

Oh, Sara, that's genius!

I didn't even notice the "shear" option while I was playing. I just tried it...I only bent it a little bit compared to your example...I think it's exactly what Debbie needs.

Woohoo! I've learned a number of cool tricks today.

Debbie must have gone off to work on that fiber. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing which technique worked out.

I'm looking forward to playing with these new techniques (new to me) in the future. :)

Oh, Sara, that's genius!

I didn't even notice the "shear" option while I was playing. I just tried it...I only bent it a little bit compared to your example...I think it's exactly what Debbie needs.

Woohoo! I've learned a number of cool tricks today.

I'm glad you like it Char. I love that option. It does some neat things. By the way it works great on solid filled vertical rectangles to create great shapes for clipping masks and stuff. I make a solid rectangle and fill with a color. Shear it to the shape you want. Then place paper on top and clip it to the shape (ctrl+G).

Edit: Here is a LO that I used it on Goals LO

WOW! You ladies have been busy! I had an appointment, so left shortly after my post. I guess it paid off! :) Thanks JoEllen and Sara and all you others. Glad I could stir up some cool trial and error. Sara, I did try distort, but my fibre was horizontal! No wonder I couldn't get it to "do anything"! LOL!

I'm going to shear my fibre. Then I'll finish up the LO and post it here for you to see my result. Truth be told, I actually managed to finish the LO with just what I had after the Distort>Wave filter. I'm pretty happy with it. But you will be seeing more bent objects in my LOs in the near future.

Thanks again!

Debbie

Looking forward to seeing your layout, Debbie!

I'll have to check it out later (depending on when you post it, of course.)

I've got stuff I need to do AWAY from the computer! lol

I just went and played a little.

I have a PC not a Mac if it matters.

So you already tried view>distort>wave ?

I got a cool wave out of mine...but not just one long hung wave/arc. It arcs downward twice. I was playing with the sliders...that's the least amount of waves I think I could manage. But, I/you could just use part of the fiber in one arc, maybe?

I did learn how to pinch the fiber. :) I didn't know that was possible in PSE4! Cool!

I'll go try again...

How did you 'pinch the fiber'?

I just found all these wonderful new things to try. Wow! This turned into a fantastic topic! Thanks everyone.

I don't have the software open right now...but in view>distort...I think one of the options is pinch.

I used the rectangle marquis tool (I think that's what it is called) and made a selection around just a small part of the fiber. Then I clicked on pinch (view>distort>pinch) and it took me to that. So...if you want to pinch a ribbon or something where it would go through a tag, for instance, this is PERFECT!

Well, first I'm spelling marquee wrong. lol

It is filter>distort>pinch.

And it seems that you do need to make a selection with the marquee tool around part of the ribbon/fiber before you go to pinch. I pinched one ribbon and fiber in several places with different sized areas selected just to see the difference. And when you go to pinch...play around with the "amount" slider of the pinch.

I'm glad Eden posted about this topic again, b/c I went looking for this last night and couldn't find it. Anyway, I started playing in PSE 5 and when I sheared my chain it looked a little stretched out, you know the loops on the chain are too big. Am I doing something wrong? I am just playing with the whole 12 inch chain, not on a LO yet. Do you think that makes a difference, that it's not a small piece.

Thanks for everrybody's help. Like Eden said, I learn so much here!

Hey. I think somewhere in my Pause layout I put in one of the comments that the outer parts of the chain start to look stretched/distorted but I was okay with it. You can tell on the chain in my layout. I think that what is showing on my layout is NOT the full 12 inch piece. I don't remember how much of it I used though.

Maybe someone else knows if you can do it without any distortion.

Archived