Cs4

Jster025

Thought some of you might be interested in this review from PC Magazine:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330900,00.asp

In brief, it says:

Photoshop CS4 Astounds

If you thought the king of image editors couldn't get any more powerful, think again. Photoshop CS4 includes a new, modern feel that's long overdue, an excellent mix of interface enhancements and innovative improvements, and 64-bit support for Vista. We tell you why we gave it a rare perfect rating.

Thanks for the link.Interesting.I have hardly scratched the surface of CS3 yet and now there is CS4.I think I will be holding back before upgrading until I can justify the cost or know CS3 better.Sounds fantastic for graphic artists though

I just had to get a new computer because of it. It kept acting buggy as all get out. It freaked out on me yesterday and I had to call support. I had tools that freaked out - wouldn't stop working - and all of a sudden, I had about 20 windows open at Adobe's site with an error saying that my serial number isn't right. (It is and they validated that it is.) They told me to upgrade my video driver. I did that and it didn't help. Then I was told to try creating a new user for my computer (it wouldn't do as much, right?)

Did that. It didn't help.

There is a video card by NVIDIA that was developed to go with CS4. If you don't have a card that can handle what CS4 is doing, it is all herky-jerky and the tools act strange. At least, they did for me. The computer can't keep up with what CS4 is doing. If you are wondering, I have 2 GB RAM. I have a decent processor. I have upgraded my computer about every 6 months, too.

So I realize that I need to have that new card to make this work right. It is around $400. Then I find out that my machine won't work right with that card. So I have to get a new machine. Then new monitors because my monitors aren't going to work with the new machine...

On and on and on it went. End of the day, I could have bought a nice used car for what this computer is going to cost me.

According to Adobe's specs, my current machine is way more than they require. However, the support guy - I could hear it in his voice - pretty much knew where this was going to end up. He went into this sales pitch of "this is what PS users have been asking for... we really tested it... I've never heard of this happening before... but the video driver will cause this so you should...."

In NVIDIAs site, they show what a machine minus this new card looks like as it works in CS4 and then what it looks like with the card.

Yep. My machine looks like that minus the card version. Sigh...

If I didn't have to create Secrets for PS CS4 (and I have to do it because this version is so different that prior version), I would have given up for now, I think. But my back is against the wall so I swallowed and ordered the machine.

But mannnnnnnnn...... I was bummed.

I don't want Adobe mad at me or anything, but I would stay with CS3 (meaning me... Ro...) if I could. It's nice software and I'm enjoying it very much.

Meanwhile... I have a big beefy machine like no other coming. Yeah, CS4 can do all sorts of tricks. There's a reason why. Hope I like it as much as people say I will because man... this was a bummer day...

I have a nice laptop, but based on my experience with it and the new file opening thing (which requires constant peeling off of files that keep tabbing), I am hesitant to use it on anything but a desktop with two monitors. But that's just me... maybe. I can't say. I knew my laptop wouldn't have the new card so I didn't even bother installing it there.

The new card, by the way, was released the DAY that CS4 was released so unless you specifically have that card in your machine, even if your computer is new, it is unlikely that you have it. It was an extra expense for my new computer to get it.

One last thing... I uninstalled PSCS4 from my current machine and it is now working right. It had slowed down to a crawl - even without CS4 running. That started - coincidentally (or not) the day I installed CS4 on it. (And I had plenty of room on the drive and a massive scratch disk located elsewhere).

Thought I'd better share my experience with you. Hopefully, nobody else will have a repeat of this thing.

I just had to get a new computer because of it. It kept acting buggy as all get out. It freaked out on me yesterday and I had to call support. I had tools that freaked out - wouldn't stop working - and all of a sudden, I had about 20 windows open at Adobe's site with an error saying that my serial number isn't right. (It is and they validated that it is.) They told me to upgrade my video driver. I did that and it didn't help. Then I was told to try creating a new user for my computer (it wouldn't do as much, right?)

Did that. It didn't help.

There is a video card by NVIDIA that was developed to go with CS4. If you don't have a card that can handle what CS4 is doing, it is all herky-jerky and the tools act strange. At least, they did for me. The computer can't keep up with what CS4 is doing. If you are wondering, I have 2 GB RAM. I have a decent processor. I have upgraded my computer about every 6 months, too.

So I realize that I need to have that new card to make this work right. It is around $400. Then I find out that my machine won't work right with that card. So I have to get a new machine. Then new monitors because my monitors aren't going to work with the new machine...

On and on and on it went. End of the day, I could have bought a nice used car for what this computer is going to cost me.

According to Adobe's specs, my current machine is way more than they require. However, the support guy - I could hear it in his voice - pretty much knew where this was going to end up. He went into this sales pitch of "this is what PS users have been asking for... we really tested it... I've never heard of this happening before... but the video driver will cause this so you should...."

In NVIDIAs site, they show what a machine minus this new card looks like as it works in CS4 and then what it looks like with the card.

Yep. My machine looks like that minus the card version. Sigh...

If I didn't have to create Secrets for PS CS4 (and I have to do it because this version is so different that prior version), I would have given up for now, I think. But my back is against the wall so I swallowed and ordered the machine.

But mannnnnnnnn...... I was bummed.

I don't want Adobe mad at me or anything, but I would stay with CS3 (meaning me... Ro...) if I could. It's nice software and I'm enjoying it very much.

Meanwhile... I have a big beefy machine like no other coming. Yeah, CS4 can do all sorts of tricks. There's a reason why. Hope I like it as much as people say I will because man... this was a bummer day...

I have a nice laptop, but based on my experience with it and the new file opening thing (which requires constant peeling off of files that keep tabbing), I am hesitant to use it on anything but a desktop with two monitors. But that's just me... maybe. I can't say. I knew my laptop wouldn't have the new card so I didn't even bother installing it there.

The new card, by the way, was released the DAY that CS4 was released so unless you specifically have that card in your machine, even if your computer is new, it is unlikely that you have it. It was an extra expense for my new computer to get it.

One last thing... I uninstalled PSCS4 from my current machine and it is now working right. It had slowed down to a crawl - even without CS4 running. That started - coincidentally (or not) the day I installed CS4 on it. (And I had plenty of room on the drive and a massive scratch disk located elsewhere).

Thought I'd better share my experience with you. Hopefully, nobody else will have a repeat of this thing.

Wow, Ro! I'm really glad you shared this. I think I'll stick with my little PSE 5 for now!! I'm sure with my luck I would have the same issues and I can't justify a new computer just so I can run CS4. DH would not be happy about that! I always forget about all the little problems new programs can sometimes cause on your computer, in my excitement over said program.

Yeah! Thanks Ro!

We need to hear stuff like that......it was kind of like the slap in the face I needed before plopping down the $$$$ for CS4......

.....guess I'll stick with PSE5 OR just get CS3?????

Penny, are you not experiencing any issues with CS4???

Like Heidi, I've been running CS4 on my laptop since the day it was released with no problems whatsoever. I have a Macbook Pro with a GeForce 8600M GT which is an Nvidia card, but not the recommended one. I've had no problems and am absolutely loving everything about CS4. And I haven't even delved into many of the new doo-dads yet.

It sounds like it's too late now, Ro, but you probably could've upgraded to a different card and still had it work okay, without getting that super high-grade model that required a new everything. Oh well, live and learn. :)

these computers are soooo wierd..... these stories are the complete opposite.... who knows whats going on inside a computer... even experts dont know...and just like people i think no two are alike... even with same specs....they definately have a mind of their own.... ro, i feel your pain.... just reading the posting was painful...so sorry for you... and even worse to think that this isnt happening to others...dh bought me a new 24 inch widescreen monitor last week for my birthday and it opened a can of worms...couldnt get the resolutiom right ...it seems that my computer is too old and the card inside wont work with the monitor...so now just so i can use it i hooked it up to my LT and boy is that a beautiful monitor...so now i am thinking about getting a new computer.... change one little thing on a computer and you can be asking for trouble....

so ro, i think i will think twice about cs4...though reading about it is tempting...

thanks for this link above

No, I couldn't have done that, Jan. It wouldn't have worked under the circumstance. And I didn't have the truly bizarre things happen to it until I started creating a collection with huge files. If you look at this thing on NVIDIA's site, you'll see exactly what it looks like minus that card except, of course, you won't see the computer tank out. They are merely scrolling around in a single photo.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/builtforadobepros.html - make sure you watch the movie with the Eagle.

Because I was creating a collection with huge files in it, my computer suddenly couldn't handle CS4's desire to move things around in that manner. When I created some layouts and minor files, I didn't get it. But I have to use it to create large files and I can not have the tools go insane. I was unable to work. Because I create Secrets, that it is demanding for a computer to have the software recording, Photoshop working, opening files, etc. I know it won't work. It couldn't possibly work because it wouldn't work just creating a collection, once I got papers with 12 layers, etc. I can't do much else anyway when I do that and I do have a very good computer here and it has been updated ever six months since I got it.

This new NVIDIA card is different than "yer average card". When you have Adobe support telling you that it won't work right minus the card, you need to pay attention. They wouldn't have told me that randomly. Maybe you can get it to work, but not as intended.

I'm sorry, that you weren't here to see it. If you had seen it, you would completely understand my problem. I'm glad that you are able to use it well and I sincerely hope that it continues to work well for you. I'd really hate to think that my experience is the norm. If it is, people are going to give up with PS because people can't do this massive upgrade thing I've just had to do. So I really hope, hope, hope, hope, hope, hope, hope... that the demands I put on PS and my computer have created truly unique problem.

It would be helpful to know that because of my work, I can't get an "off the shelf" computer. I can't get a computer that is slightly upgraded. I do far more with my computer than most people ever do. I burn them out, too. I've had to get four new computers since I've had SG. It's just that this time, the upgrade was really expensive. I've been stalling on upgrading my desktop to Vista because I have so many pieces of software and hardware that would have to be replaced. At least, I'll still be able to keep this desktop around so I can continue to use my critical XP only software. But because of this card, the upgrade was over the top this time. What is the point in upgrading a computer expressly to get that card (single motivation behind it) and then not get the beefy machine that will allow it to work in the best way possible? It would have felt like I was throwing money away. What if I got it back and I was in the same mess?

My current desktop is back to normal now that I have completely uninstalled CS4 with all of it's components from it. I'm excited to get this new, super beefy machine. I'm hoping that I will be amazed and astounded at the things I will be able to do because of it.

I'll let you know.

Ro,

So Sorry your having such a time. I had some of the hairy problems when I upgraded to

Creative Suite CS3 so I am waiting to get 4. finally fixed all my issues with Adobe's help, It took two days on speaker phone with one of their top ITs and we went down to the DOS screens and rebuilted the PC from the inside out...

So I know how hard and stressful it is

one step forward, ten back... But I love where I am at now...

UGH. As much as I love computers and cannot imagine life without them, they do add a level of complexity to our lives! Ro, I visited the link you provided and I can guess at the card you had to get (oi vey), but I'm still confused that the "home user" GeForce GPU is non-specific. I have a laptop built Sep-2008 and got the best card I could order not only for Photoshop but for gaming purposes.

I found this post which at least gave me a concrete way to see if CS3 recognized my GPU -- it did, listing NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 9600M GT/PCI/SSE2. I don't have a 3D check box, but that's probably due to my CS3 being "regular" and not "Extended."

I'm very tempted by the reviews of CS4, but appreciate you sharing your experience. Seems like it's PC specific and maybe getting a 30-day trial download is the route to go, then if it's not going to work, de-install knowing that a HW upgrade is needed along with the software purchase.

Thanks for the heads-up!

No, I couldn't have done that, Jan. It wouldn't have worked under the circumstance. And I didn't have the truly bizarre things happen to it until I started creating a collection with huge files. If you look at this thing on NVIDIA's site, you'll see exactly what it looks like minus that card except, of course, you won't see the computer tank out. They are merely scrolling around in a single photo.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/builtforadobepros.html - make sure you watch the movie with the Eagle.

Because I was creating a collection with huge files in it, my computer suddenly couldn't handle CS4's desire to move things around in that manner. When I created some layouts and minor files, I didn't get it. But I have to use it to create large files and I can not have the tools go insane. I was unable to work. Because I create Secrets, that it is demanding for a computer to have the software recording, Photoshop working, opening files, etc. I know it won't work. It couldn't possibly work because it wouldn't work just creating a collection, once I got papers with 12 layers, etc. I can't do much else anyway when I do that and I do have a very good computer here and it has been updated ever six months since I got it.

This new NVIDIA card is different than "yer average card". When you have Adobe support telling you that it won't work right minus the card, you need to pay attention. They wouldn't have told me that randomly. Maybe you can get it to work, but not as intended.

I'm sorry, that you weren't here to see it. If you had seen it, you would completely understand my problem. I'm glad that you are able to use it well and I sincerely hope that it continues to work well for you. I'd really hate to think that my experience is the norm. If it is, people are going to give up with PS because people can't do this massive upgrade thing I've just had to do. So I really hope, hope, hope, hope, hope, hope, hope... that the demands I put on PS and my computer have created truly unique problem.

It would be helpful to know that because of my work, I can't get an "off the shelf" computer. I can't get a computer that is slightly upgraded. I do far more with my computer than most people ever do. I burn them out, too. I've had to get four new computers since I've had SG. It's just that this time, the upgrade was really expensive. I've been stalling on upgrading my desktop to Vista because I have so many pieces of software and hardware that would have to be replaced. At least, I'll still be able to keep this desktop around so I can continue to use my critical XP only software. But because of this card, the upgrade was over the top this time. What is the point in upgrading a computer expressly to get that card (single motivation behind it) and then not get the beefy machine that will allow it to work in the best way possible? It would have felt like I was throwing money away. What if I got it back and I was in the same mess?

My current desktop is back to normal now that I have completely uninstalled CS4 with all of it's components from it. I'm excited to get this new, super beefy machine. I'm hoping that I will be amazed and astounded at the things I will be able to do because of it.

I'll let you know.

ro,

i am very interested in this post and sorry for all your problems/expenses...i think i mentioned that i got a new monitor from dh for my birthday and my computer video card is too old to handle it...so once i hooked it up to my LT and saw how great it was to work on this 24 inch widescreen i really would like to figure out using it... we are willing to get a new dt as mine is old and it is slow and we had been thinking about a new one for awhile just avoiding the expense and hassle....also i have a few bugs with photoshop cs 3 that i think are cause i have an old computer with too much going on...like bridge opened too or acdsee etc...i dont do any video stuff like you do with the secrets but dont want to buy only for now i think i should be thinking a little down the line...also you mentioned papers with 12 layer being affected....which i dont know if i understand you but i certainly have lo with many more than 12 layers and love blending several or more papers, so dont know if this would be what you meant as it relates to what i do with the scrapping and also photo adjusting .... also though i may not upgrade to cs 4 now i may later and i know that photoshop keeps getting more and more powerful.... so my question, if you can help, if you were your "average sg" who loves to scrap and takes zillions of photos and has zillions of collections, actions, styles, brushes ... what would i need in a computer as it relates to video card etc... i realize you are not an "IT guy" but i find the IT guy doesnt always really know what i do with the computer and that you do!

thanks ro

How did you all get CS4? I am a college student (very mature student haha) right now and have ordered CS4 and I haven't received anything yet and they say it isn't available right now. I have gone to the Adobe site and the 30 day trial isn't available either. I'm kind of having trouble because the college class I'm taking is Graphic Design and I don't have any software - too late for CS3 and can't get CS4. I would be happy with the trial but I can't get it so I'm wondering how everyone else got it?

PS by the way - I'm a mac user if that makes a difference

Maybe being a "Mac" user is the answer as to why you can't find CS4. It's out there and I've been torturing myself about whether to get it or not! Just when I think I've hard all "good" things about it.......zap! I hear something like poor Ro's experience and then I take it out of my "cart". I just don't know what to do :banghead:

Yeah! Thanks Ro!

We need to hear stuff like that......it was kind of like the slap in the face I needed before plopping down the $$$$ for CS4......

.....guess I'll stick with PSE5 OR just get CS3?????

Penny, are you not experiencing any issues with CS4???

I am happy to say (and sounds like very lucky, too) that CS4 has worked perfectly for me since day 1. My laptop is pretty new (bought it just this last summer) and it has Vista. I'm not sure about the card Ro was discussing, but I'll check it out now and see. I am just thrilled to be learning new things and making digi pages!

Hey Sierra,

I'm on a Mac and I have CS4. I got the download link a day after they officially released it on Oct. 14.

It looks like the trial versions won't be available till the middle of this month, but I would call Adobe customer service and find out what the hold up is, since you did order it. I can't imagine why it would take this long for you to get it.

Good luck! :)

I should have thought of that, Diane. I just went to the Adobe forums and read a lot of strings in which people were describing similar things as I have seen. The symptoms (which items lag) are some times different, but it is basically the same thing. And they are getting the same answers from Adobe... although... this morning an Adobe Engineer finally said that he was able to duplicate the problem with CS4 on an XP machine. (Meaning, we aren't mixed up after all because an Adobe Engineer got it to happen.)

If I get this machine today and it doesn't work well, Adobe is going to get another call from me... for sure...

But reading those strings made me feel better simply because I am not alone at all!

Ro, please keep us posted as to whether CS4 works better on your new machine.

I have (sigh!) definitely postponed purchasing CS4.....the price I can get it at is awesome but if it won't work properly on my desk top then it just isn't worth it.

Altho' I may want to check my laptop's specs and see if I might be able to use it there......would prefer the desk top tho' (sigh again).

I just know because of my computer's age that I would have the same issues you (and lots of other people) are experiencing and if I spend even what I consider a reasonable amount of $$ on CS4 and I'm on the phone or cyber chat with Adobe to get it to work properly.....well, it won't be pretty!

Anyway, please let us know how it works on your new toy!

Thanks

i really have been following this cause i am getting a new computer ( my Dt was very old and couldnt work with the great new monitor dh had gotten me for my birthday) and wasnt sure if i would up grade now but may eventually...and i heard photoshop is getting faster and bigger each time so this was all very helpful in my picking the specs for my new hp computer i ordered today... i spoke to adobe and they had a link for an article with the video cards that they have tested and are compatible... there are a bunch and they are from nvidia and ati... so at least i hope i am ready with the new computer when i want to upgrade and by then maybe some cs4 kinks will be worked out...

look forward to hearing more from ro

My DH would kill me if I said I wanted a new computer just to run CS4!!! :disappearing-smilie:

It really looks like my DT and LT won't be able to handle what CS4 has to offer! What a bummer!

My DT is a Pentium 4 3GHz 1GB machine running XP

My LT is a Pentium Dual-Core 3 GHz 1 GB machine running Vista

For the life of me I can't figure out how to read what Video Card they use...!!!!! :disappearing-smilie:

I do hope Ro can finally make it work !!!!

Hi, just a little FYI, if you are a student, teacher or have a student in your family...you can go to AcademicSuperstore.com and get CS4 extended for about $300 with the proper criteria met (listed on site) such as student report card, letterhead, etc. They also have other Adobe products at a discount. Hope this helps those of you strapped for cash like me.

Archived