Need A Christmas Photo?

ChristyVW

Desperate times call for desperate measures, right? LOL! I needed some good Christmas photos for some projects that I am working on and my stash from previous years was not fitting the bill...so I needed to get creative. Not wanting to haul out all my Christmas decorations, just yet, I took advantage of the ones who like to put it up REALLY early...THE HOME IMPROVEMENT STORES!! :)

In our area we have 'Menards' and they set up a wonderful display of christmas trees, with its own cobblestone street and everything. So, I dressed up my oldest DD and took her on a photoshoot!! I got a couple strange looks, but I think I also got a couple 'hey, now there's an idea' looks too!! It cost me a whopping $4 for the santa hat! :)

Here is one of my favorites:

What a great idea, Christy! And the photo is adorable too! What lens do you have (do you have an dSLR?) and what settings did you use? I have a hard time getting such great pictures indoors and I really like the bokhe (see - I learned something!) in the background.

I used my Nikon fixed 50mm 1:1.8 lens and the built in flash on my Nikon D50 (dslr) to take the pictures.

My knowledge of camera settings is still limited, but I set my camera on 'A' for aperature priority and turn the f-stop down to about 2.8 (the lower the f-stop number is, the more of the blurring you get in the background - a lower f-stop number = higher aperature)

Mostly, I still shoot 'squirrel' style - that is - shoot lots of pictures and play with your settings a lot, because even a 'squirrel gets a nut every now and then'!! LOL!!

Smaller mom-and-pop gift stores might let you do this, too. We have one right on the outskirts of town that has a beautiful set-up for every season and major holiday. I asked the owner permission, and he said I could come in whenever I wanted to snap some photos.

I have not paid for a professional photo shoot since. :)

what a great idea...and love the dof photo... no one would ever know that you werent in a studio or in your beautifully holiday decorated home....lots of times i laugh thinking about if we had photos of taking the photo...the behind the scenes... now that would be a lo to laugh about...maybe "squirreling" away that idea

fyi..i help out with a photographer and she does some baby photo shoot out on the street with a child in a chair place in some scrubby foliage on a corner or by a brick ivy covered wall in a grungy parking lots...but when you see the photos you would think they were done in the botanical gardens.... gotta love thinking outside the box...or in this case outside the framing of the photo....

thanks so much for sharing the idea.... and i bet your projects with these photos will be beauties...look forward to seeing them

So cool! Your girls are such troopers too..did you have to bribe her or was she a willing participant? LOL.... our lil SG Model!

LOL! If I tell Regan she can put on her fancy dress, she will pose for me all day long! Getting an 'unposed' smile? Now that is another story!! :)

Desperate times call for desperate measures, right? LOL! I needed some good Christmas photos for some projects that I am working on and my stash from previous years was not fitting the bill...so I needed to get creative. Not wanting to haul out all my Christmas decorations, just yet, I took advantage of the ones who like to put it up REALLY early...THE HOME IMPROVEMENT STORES!! :)

In our area we have 'Menards' and they set up a wonderful display of Christmas trees, with its own cobblestone street and everything. So, I dressed up my oldest DD and took her on a photo shoot!! I got a couple strange looks, but I think I also got a couple 'hey, now there's an idea' looks too!! It cost me a whopping $4 for the Santa hat! :)

Here is one of my favorites:

What an awesome idea!! Great photo too....

Now, I'm not thinking that will work so well with my teenagers....14 & 16, I can just see it now....."mommmmmm" this is stupid...no one else does this....why do we have to have are pictures taken...yadda yadda yadda!

LOL!!

I'm envious!

LOL. I took a "survey" of my kids -- the girls are willing to go for it, the boys said NO WAY. Hmm. I'm liking the idea of just tossing them in the stores' dumpster before we head in. (LOL! ;) ) Seriously, I am loving this idea. I'm going to start scouting out stores w/ fabulous displays -- this is just tickling my creative bone!

Archived