Now I Don't Get Templates....i'm So Bad At This!

StephanieB

So I just bought the template for the clipboard calendars and I just don't get it. I am reading the instructions and it says to hold the "shift" key and drag the paper I want and it will drop into the exact spot I want it...yeah...I'm doing something wrong. I'm using the instructions from SG and it's just not clicking in my tiny little brain tonight.

grrrrrr

I have found it is easier to make sure that the template I want to drag the paper to is close at hand. THen I hold the shift key down and then click on the paper layer and use the mouse to drag the paper over to the template. Most of the time I end up having to move the paper where I want it cause I have issues with getting the shift key thing to work!!!

What software and version are you using? There may be an easier trick to get this to work for you.

If you are using PSE, put your workspace in cascade mode (top right of PSE, layered blocks). Activate the layer you want to drag in the LAYERS palette on the left (not the bin on the bottom) Hold the shift key and drag from the layers palette to the file you want it on. The key is LAYERS PALETTE! When I first started, this had me hung up for quite some time. HTH!

If you are using PSE, put your workspace in cascade mode (top right of PSE, layered blocks). Activate the layer you want to drag in the LAYERS palette on the left (not the bin on the bottom) Hold the shift key and drag from the layers palette to the file you want it on. The key is LAYERS PALETTE! When I first started, this had me hung up for quite some time. HTH!

WOO HOO!!! finally WORKED... Yay!! THANK YOU!

I have PhotoShop Elements 6.0 if that makes any difference. I'm going to mess with it later tonight after I get the boys in bed. Thanks for helping me out with this one. I was so proud of myself when I figured out brushes...and then this tripped me up!! lol

I'm still not getting it!! Hopefully I can type out what I'm doing and maybe you can figure out what I am doing wrong.

I'm using the Perpetual Clipboard Calendar Templates. In the template files there is a png file but that seems to be more of a "overview" file...it's B&W and I'm guessing what the template would look like finished product.

Now for every template there is a folder and in that folder are all the different png files that make up the total page. For instance....there is a frame that has a black background (1 file) and then the white frame is in a different file....with me so far?

So....I want to put a picture into that black square/background. I am in cascade mode and I have that png file open and then the picture I want to use open next to it. I hold the shift key, drag the picture over to the open png file and drop it right inside the black square. All it does is drag the whole picture and just drops it but it's not IN the black square....just sitting on top of it.

Another example....there is a paper tear file in the template. I open that png file and have the paper file also opened. I am trying to drag that paper into the tear file and the same thing happens. I drag the paper over but it just drops it in the file onto of the tear.

Hopefully I explained it enough so someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. This is turning into one of those things that I refuse to let it beat me....but I'm about ready to give up :(

Okay - I think I see what's happening.

First, let's talk a little about what a template is. A template is a file that contains a bunch of layers, that have grey or black shapes showing you where to place papers, pictures, or embellishments. You can use a Clipping Mask (in PSE, it's called Group With Previous, short cut is CTRL+G) to make your picture or paper take on the exact shape of one of the layers.

When you purchase a Layered Template from Scrap Girls, you get two different file types. You get a folder containing a BUNCH of PNG files. You also get a PSD file (at least, that's true for the newest templates). The PNG files are for people using scrapbooking programs that can't use PSD files. Since you are using PSE5, don't even mess with the PNG files. Just open the PSD version.

When it opens, you will see a bunch of layers in your Layers Palette. Black and grey shapes. Drag your papers and pictures over. Drag them up or down in the Layers Palette until they are directly above the shape that you want them to be. Then use a clipping mask.

Does that make sense?

Good for you, Stephanie! Your explanation of what you were doing made the problem very clear. Glad Anna got in there and cleared it up. Learning to use a clipping mask will revolutionize your scrapping...it did mine!! Have fun with your calendar!

Debbie

Another tip Stephanie if you are still working on these.....

There is a PSD file in each folder that should open up with all the layers already lined up for you. Make sure you are using that file. It is so much easier. We just include the others for people who don't use Photoshop. ;)

When you go to fill in layers in your PSD photoshop document, you will see all the layers in your layers palette. Make sure the layer you want to fill is highlighted (active) then when you drag your photo or paper into the file it will pop right into place ABOVE the current layer that is active. Then you can use the CTRL + G function to fill the shape with the photo or paper.

Hope that helps!

We lived in Midvale for a couple of years! I know that area well! It's a small world, don't you think?

Yeah it is....I lived in Midvale from the time I was born until I was 18 years old....it will always be "home" to me no matter where I live. This will tell you how "Midvale" I am...when I was 3 yrs old I was Miss Midvale in some silly pageant - lol. My dad was also mayor for a time.

Thanks again everyone for the tips and support!!!

Archived