14 replies to this topic

#1 lgsouthfla

lgsouthfla

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,452 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

Ok I went to see Twilight today all by my lonesome. So who wants to talk about it? I have very mixed feelings.

#2 JoannB

JoannB

It's a great day to Scrap!

• Members
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:18 AM

I'll talk about it, Linda! :)

I liked it, overall. Honestly, there were parts that drove me crazy (how many LONGING LOOKS should a producer allow be put into a movie?!?!?!?). Overall, however, I liked it. I thought it was fun.

I liked the actors, overall. They aren't my ideal characters, but I think there were some big shoes to fill. I really liked Kristin Stewart doing Bella -- she did a great job. My husband's main comment about Patterson was that he had weird hair. :) I loved Alice.

The scenery was awesome -- they did a great job putting it in. What about that scene where Bella & Edward were on the top of the tree? I loved the view.

I thought the scene where they were lying on the grass, staring at each other, was uncomfortable and obnoxious. I hated how drawn-out it was, and I hated that they tried to make it a "sex scene", so to speak. That was probably my least favorite scene of the movie.

I think the writers did a great job making the movie flow, staying true to the book.

:)
Posted Image Posted Image
check out My Gallery

#3 JenW

JenW

Just call me Scrapalicious!

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Personal Statement:"Blessed are the children of scrapbookers, for they shall inherit the scrapbooks."

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

Ahhhhh, I really shouldn't be in here. I haven't been able to watch the movie yet. I have a date night with a girl friend to see the movie after Thanksgiving. But I just couldn't help myself taking a peek on this thread. (slapping my hand)

#4 JoannB

JoannB

• Members
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:28 AM

Ahhhhh, I really shouldn't be in here. I haven't been able to watch the movie yet. I have a date night with a girl friend to see the movie after Thanksgiving. But I just couldn't help myself taking a peek on this thread. (slapping my hand)

LOL, Jen! :)

BTW, I love your new Siggy!
check out My Gallery

#5 Laurel Lakey

Laurel Lakey

Scrap Girls Product Designer

• Design Team
  • 6,890 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:58 AM

I'll talk about it too! ;)

I saw it last weekend with my hubby (what a trooper, lol) who hasn't read the books. He said that he didn't like how slow it was to start, and once you got to the cool part about the vampires and their abilities, the movie was almost over. Also, he felt like the director/writers whatever, couldn't decide if they should assume that the readers already know that there are vampires or if they should just be led into it. I agree with him -- although I know they wanted to be true to the book, which obviously does not start out with "There are vampires in this book." :)

My biggest gripe was the same as Joann -- how many tight, closeup, longing looks can be onscreen in one movie?? Good gracious, I was over that after about a third of the way through. :) But other than that, I thought they did a great job. I didn't love who they picked as Emmett, but that's just me. Edward was okay, Bella was perfect, and my hubby thought that Carlisle was the most interesting one of them all, and he wanted to know more about why he was out trying to save mankind and everything, especially after he was the one who changed the others.

All in all, I liked it, and it actually made me want to go and read the books again, just to refresh my memory and delve back into that fun world. :D

gallery_4739_461_28437.pngButton_Designer.png SG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

Click on the images below to be taken to the Boutique.

S4H/SFO and commercial versions now available!

LLA_AutumnMemories_Collection_MKTG150.jp  LLA_SummerSail_Mini_MKTG150.jpg LLA_HappyDays_MKTG150.jpg  LLA_SSDLT_Collaged_MKTG150.jpg    LLA_SSDLA_Mini_Confetti_MKTG150.jpg

#6 JoannB

JoannB

• Members
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:03 AM

Laurel, you stole the words out of my mouth about the character that played Emmett -- I totally agree with you! Not my pick at all for him. I imagined Emmett as being bigger -- darker -- hairier. I don't know -- just not what the movie showed him as.

And I agree w/ your hubby -- the cool stuff did take a while to get to, *but* it was pretty accurate with the book, as far as that is concerned. :)
check out My Gallery

#7 kerryveale

kerryveale

Hi, I'm Kerry & I love Scrap Girls!

• Design Team
  • 6,380 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:09 AM

I'm "cheating"--haven't seen it yet--but I just wanted to share the comment one of the teenagers in my car said the other day: she said, "When I read the book, my Edward was Nick Jonas. Nick would have been perfect in the part." LOL!

~ Kerry ~
Designs~ Gallery
   SG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif         Button_Designer.png

The Adagio digital scrapbooking kit will spark your creativity in creating layouts for travel, performances, music, romance,

special occasions like dances, and heritage layouts. (Images are clickable)
KVE_Adagio_MKTG_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO1_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO2_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_PaperSamples_MKTG_150.jpg

#8 lgsouthfla

lgsouthfla

• Members
  • 9,452 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:12 AM

Yes Edward was not quite right to me either. He needed to be more refined and better looking. At least to me. Yes Carlisle was very interesting. And I liked Jacob too. Bella was good. It was just that Edward being the main male character was just not that good of an actor in my opinion. And the music in between the scenes was kinda corny. I felt like I was watching a cheap "B" rated horror movie. The scene at the top of the trees was great. And yes way to many longing glances for me too. Overall is was okay. I have not read any of the other books yet. So I better get moving. I will go see the rest when they come out.

#9 Shelbi

Shelbi

Grumpy Lumpy Scrapping Junkie

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

I saw it the other day with one of my kids.

I thought that they left some important plot points out.

What was up with Jasper's eyes? He freaked me out!!!

I would like to see it again, I might go by myself. I agree that the scenery was gorgeous!!!
I think it was harder to follow if you hadn't read the books.
The actor that played Edward wasn't a very good actor, but he is hot!!!

LOL.

#10 lvscrapper

lvscrapper

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:25 AM

My two cents....

I loved the scenery - It couldn't have been any better.

Jacob needs a haircut...
Edward was really cute, but my daughter laughed at me as I thought Charlie was cute too and more my type/age!
The character of Bella kind of drives me nuts in the book. I think she's a little wishy washy and it's always about her. I guess that is what being a teenage girl is all about? at least that is what my teenage girl tells me :)

I loved Esme. I loved that actress in Grey's Anatomy so I'm glad to see she got that part in the movie. definately the mother figure.

Alice is really cute! Casting overall seems really pretty good.

I was shocked at how pale they made Carlisle - didn't he seem paler than the rest or was it my imagination? Can't wait for the next movie!

#11 lgsouthfla

lgsouthfla

• Members
  • 9,452 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

Yes Carlisle is paler, maybe because he is the head vampire?? Not sure why. But I thought Charlie was cute too and so was Carlisle ( he is Jenny Garths husband from 90210).

#12 Armi Custodio

Armi Custodio

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Design Team
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

I didn't read the books, but I watched the movie last week. Overall it was entertaining but it's really a movie directed at teenagers so that might explain all those drawn out "longing looks"!LOL. Edward wasn't my type, sort of too pretty for a guy? Dr. Carlisle, Bella's dad and Jacob- they were interesting. Alice was gorgeous-love her hair. I agree, the coolest part of the movie is when they climbed up those trees.

Button_Designer.pngButton_Published.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif  My Gallery

Just some of my products available at the Scrap Girls Boutique:
ACU_SSPpr_SummerFrenzy_MKTG_150.jpg   ;ACU_SSEmb_SummrEssntls_MKTG_150.jpg     ACU_SSAlpha_Sanded_MKTG_150.jpg    ACU_Brush_Borders_MKTG_150.jpg  ACU_SSWA_Summr_MKTG_150.jpg

#13 Becca

Becca

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

I cannot believe I missed this thread last week! Boy, it must have been hidden well! LOL!

OK, so here's my take on the movie...

Overall, a good movie. It did manage to get the whole "forbidden love" story part taken care of very well. I loved Edward, Bella, Charlie, and Jacob. Not the best actors, but I think that worked for this movie, as their characters aren't the most self-assured anyway.

Too much of the story from the book was missing, but I guess that's to be expected. I thought the "romantic" scenes were too "hot" for the way they are written in the book as well - like that meadow scene and the first kiss scene. But the prom night dance, that one was OK. It was sweet and soft, not arduous.

I didn't like the music, with the exception of Bella's lullaby.

But my biggest complaint is the fact that some of the other characters were just not developed enough in the movie. Only Rosalie and Carlisle even said more than a couple of words. I would have like to see more of the school classmates, too. Bella's friendships with Jessica, Mike, and Angela were all but skipped over. Made the scene where they shop for dresses rather strange, since Bella barely gave them the time of day during school.

Did I like the movie? Yes. Would I buy it on DVD when it comes out? Yes. But I honestly love the story more than the movie. I'm hoping that the movie for New Moon is worlds better.

#14 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • 8,299 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

Just saw the movie with my Mom. Overall I really liked it-I wanted Edward to be more suave and refined like he is in the book. I loved Bella and I didn't think I was going to based on the previews. I must agree that we had way too many close-ups of the two of them. I felt that it was overall very well cast, but we needed more backstory on the other characters as they have all had such interesting journeys to where they are.

I had to go buy the first book again so I could reread it-my first copy is at my Mom's in Seattle. And although the movie was not as good as the book, I hope they make the rest of the books into movies-and quickly!!!
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 anemone1983

anemone1983

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

So ladies, overall were you happy you saw the movie? I'm thinking of renting it from iTunes and watching it on my interminable flight next week. I haven't finished the book yet...should i wait to watch it after I'm finished (good possiblity I will be finished before I leave Saturday...)?

Michele

ShredButton.pngSGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_club.gifBLINKIES_girlfriend.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie_zpsf0f7a6f0.g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users