Macbook Pro With Black Screen

cherise

Any ideas? I shut the computer down last night as usual, but this morning, when I tried to turn it on, it is just black screen. I can tell the computer has power and is actually *on* because I can hear the motor running and the power light is on. But there is nothing on the screen. There is a small chance that one of my kids did something, but nobody is 'fessing up. As is my habit, I enter the room where the computer is and hit the power button, then usually leave to go do other stuff while it is booting up. So - I did that this morning and then left the room. It was probably an hour or so later when I went back and saw that the computer screen was blank. I tried a manually shut down by holding down the power button and it shut down. Then, I tried to turn it back on and the screen is still black. I have tried using the function buttons to turn up the brightness and contrast, just in case that was the problem, but it doesn't appear to be.

Any ideas?

Cherise, I had that happen to my desktop one time and I couldn't get it to start back up for a few minutes but I kept trying and it eventually booted up. I can't say that I have answers for you or even know why it happened but it hasn't happened since then and it has been about 4 months. I hope the same happens for you. Do you have Apple Care? Maybe they'd be able to give you some ideas. Wish I could help out more!

Two things you could try Cerise- make sure that the brightness for the screen is up. I sometimes dim mine all the way down if I am doing a big backup or something like that. On my MBP the screen button is in the top row, third from the left. That makes it brighter. Also, one time I had my iPod plugged into a USB hub and my laptop wouldn't boot up right....... Let me know if either of those things fixed your issue. You said that your kids might have pushed a button or two so my first suggestion might be the fix! Hopefully it's that simple........ Judy

I also thought that maybe one of the kids had pressed the brightness/contract buttons and turned it way down. So - that's actually the first thing I tried. I just keep hitting the brightness button and hoping it will suddenly appear. But nothing is there . . .

I don't have Apple Care, but I called Apple Support to see if they had any suggestions for me. They pointed me in the direction of a couple different reset type documents to follow. I did the first two (reset SMC and PRAM) and the 3rd thing was to perform a Hardware Test to see if there was a problem with any of the hardware. After I installed the Installation CD and restarted (holding down the "D"), I realized that this was going to do me no good. If there *is* a problem with some hardware, I won't be able to see the results of the test! So . . . I've got a call in to my local Apple Service provider, but I'm not sure if they are open today.

Another question though . . . is there an easy way to hook up my laptop to my old monitor (from the old, slow dinosaur computer that I'm using now)? I have an apadter plug thing that came with the laptop, but it's not the right kind of plug on the other end to plug into my monitor (I think it's for projection screens and stuff). If I could hook up the computer to a different monitor, I could see if the computer itself is still working (it *sounds* like it is working still) and I could access all my files and stuff . . .

Cherise,

I had a black screen recently (iMac G5). The machine was apparently getting some power for a while, then it shut down. The problem turned out to be the logic board and power supply. It was repaired within a few days and I did not lose my files. I wouldn't try to use it until you can get it evaluated.

Karen

Bad news, bad news, bad news . . .

Took it in to the Mac store . . . logic board fried . . . fix it for about $800-1000 (plus data transfer fees and labor, etc.) and then risk something else going wrong (screen going bad, which apparently is a more common problem than the logic board). Or . . . buy a new laptop. I struggled and struggled, but finally opted to buy the new laptop. It is now at the service center, where hopefully all of my data and software is being transferred from my old laptop. The service guys suggested I try to sell the old laptop for parts. And I have also purchased the Apple Care plan, which is pricey, but in this case - would have saved me from buying a new computer.

I feel so sick to my stomach. Most big purchases like this are something that you think about for a while and plan and save and research, etc. I *did not* wake up this morning planning to plunk down that much money on something that I didn't even have an inkling that I needed.

But - the good news is that I will have a new computer in the morning and can be up and running right away (hopefully!).

Oh, I was hoping it wasn't the logic board......... I can just imagine how your stomach was churning thinking of what you had to decide and then the decision to buy a new one...... What is that called? "Spreading the wealth around." Supposed to be a good thing but at times like this you wonder. Stimulating the economy. Ha! As for Apple Care, I never hesitate to get it and especially with a laptop I was told. And I have used it at least once. It's pricey but worth it- that and maxing out the RAM are 2 things I always get. Thanks for updating us on your woes... But considering the cost of repair and then transferring data, it didn't make much sense to do that instead of buying new. Enjoy your new computer! Judy

Cherise, don't forget to put a big bow around it and a nice big tag that says "Cherise"! Just unplug it and put it under the tree on Christmas morning! :)

Sorry this didn't work out as you'd hoped. Do tell all the the dirt on the new one, though, so we can live vicariously through you!

Debbie

oh Cherise, I am so sorry you had the day you did and that you are now a good few $$$'s lighter in pocket, the upside of this, is of course, you have a brand spanking new laptop to play with so there always is a bright side to life :)

Argh...just terrible when your computer is sick and even worse when it costs mucho bucks. I am happy that you didn't lose anything in the process, though. Enjoy your new baby ... some of the "sick" feeling just may disappear when you hold that new baby in your arms and get to play with it! ;)

Yeah! Posting from my new laptop! And all my data and software seems to be intact and working just fine ... I just had to reactivate the Adobe products, but that was a simple click of a button. I'm so glad that they were able to just transfer everything over and it's as if I were still on my old computer - didn't have to change any settings or anything. Thankful for that!

Jeepers! Now I'm nervous! My screen has gone black three times in the last year, but I'm still typing from my laptop. I think we determined that it was overheating. It IS old (for a computer), but I don't have the cash for a new one right now. I dream of a MacBook Pro with CS 4 installed and ready to go. *sigh* Now my little iBook is probably going to crash again because it doesn't like me talking that way. ;)

Glad you're back up and running, Cherise!

Archived