External Hard Drive ?

Ande43

Once something is on your hard drive you have to deliberalty delete it from there don't you?? You may have deleted it from your main drive but it will still be on the EHD drive right?? And the only way to change things around on the EHD is to do in on there right...as in putting photos in different files.??

Yes, it is its own drive. If you have things backed up on an EHD, and then reorganize all your files, they will still stay the way they were before on your EHD. (yes, I have done this) :D If you delete the files off your main drive, they will stay on your EHD. but I always keep the files on both drives. I like having more than one back-up.

Yes, it is its own drive. If you have things backed up on an EHD, and then reorganize all your files, they will still stay the way they were before on your EHD. (yes, I have done this) :D If you delete the files off your main drive, they will stay on your EHD. but I always keep the files on both drives. I like having more than one back-up.

Thanks April....I have too much (was addicted to Freegies) LOL Plus all the photos etc so have them all on CD's and putting them all on the EHD. By the time I get everything organized and a place for everything, I will be too old to remember what to do with it all LOL.

well, you have to be careful with your synch software too...sometimes if its set to synch changes with computer as a priority, it might delete things from the external if you remove them from your PC...same way it adds new files

• 1 month later...
well, you have to be careful with your synch software too...sometimes if its set to synch changes with computer as a priority, it might delete things from the external if you remove them from your PC...same way it adds new files

OK....I am finding that if I delete a file from my computer the next day it is gone from my EHD too.....I made CD back ups too so can do all this again, but what can I do to stop this from happening in the first place. Have not been able to find anywone who "Has a clue" about this....have never heard of this happening and THEY are suppose to be the experts..Any ideas??? or any ideas who would be helpful?? I am not very savvy about the computer...can ususally figure most things out but this has me stumped. Can't get through by phone to Maxtor...will try emailing them.

It kind of sounds like you have some kind of sync software set up that is syncing your files, so when you're deleting off your main harddrive, the file it's synced with on your ehd gets deleted too.

Just checked the Max Manager and there is a Sync page....it says Simple Sync..automatically synchronizes between My Doc and EHD or Custom Sync and it has My Doc, Desktop and C disc. There is also a Backup schedule with an on-off choice...it was on on and scans the system every evening automatically. Should that be different?

It kind of sounds like you have some kind of sync software set up that is syncing your files, so when you're deleting off your main harddrive, the file it's synced with on your ehd gets deleted too.

Just checked the Max Manager and there is a Sync page....it says Simple Sync..automatically synchronizes between My Doc and EHD or Custom Sync and it has My Doc, Desktop and C disc. There is also a Backup schedule with an on-off choice...it was on on and scans the system every evening automatically. Should that be different?

I don't have a set-up like that with my ehd's. The way you have it set-up keeps the data on both drives the same. I have a set-up where I go in and do it manually for my EHD. I like to have more control over what I'm putting on it, so I do it a different way- with different software. We have auto back-ups running to a different internal drive on our computer.

You should be able to change your settings to keep the information you want on both drives. Good luck!

Archived