Placenames

Guest Jadedolphin

On 12/1/2017 at 7:20 AM, MariJ said:

Oh that's so cool!   The few blocks of houses where I live is called the "Old English" part of town, with streets named:  Westminster, Nottingham, Buckingham, Manchester, etc etc!  Of course we DID come from you!
New Jersey is one of the original 13 colonies so there are lots of areas where the civil war with England was fought.  And, a lot of "George Washington slept here's" around - especially in Morris County.

Gilette

how interesting Marilyn

Highlands.....sounds a nice place and maybe the Scots landed here :) 

Ithaca, New York -- is a city on Cayuga Lake, in New York’s Finger Lakes region. It’s home to Cornell University and its I.M. Pei–designed Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art. The sprawling Cornell Botanic Gardens includes an arboretum and multi-tiered Cascadilla Falls. Other waterfalls in the area include Ithaca Falls, near downtown. Southwest, Buttermilk Falls and Robert H. Treman state parks offer wooded gorges and natural pools.

Ithaca-Falls-Gallery-01.jpg

how interesting Marilyn

Highlands.....sounds a nice place and maybe the Scots landed here :) 

Oh, Jane!  You picked my favorite place at the NJ shore, it almost gave me shivers to see it typed.   That little town and beach was where I spent my childhood summers, the happiest times of my life - it was magical.   It used to be a little no-bit town, now has come up more as developers bought into since it's close to NYC - you can see it from the beach across the bay and then the ocean beyond.     It's still magical, though and that little beach has so many delightful memories for me.   Carla just scrapped it in the last Swap Crop for me.
I'm not sure about the Scots (I should read up, my Mom has a few books here) but it did used to be a rum-runner town where bootleggers brought in liquor during Prohibition here, I think in the 1020's?   There still is a part of town (& street names) called Waterwitch which is where a lot of that happened.   The town next to Highlands is Atlantic Highlands - where Diane lived and her boys grew up!
Highlands also has the Twin Lights lighthouse WAY up high on a hill and Sandy Hook which is literally a strip of land that hooks out into the ocean.  It used to be an Army base, now is a state park and a part of Gateway park including the Statue of Liberty and places in NY.
Anyway.....   

Island Heights - also very pretty!

5 hours ago, MariJ said:

Oh, Jane!  You picked my favorite place at the NJ shore, it almost gave me shivers to see it typed.   That little town and beach was where I spent my childhood summers, the happiest times of my life - it was magical.   It used to be a little no-bit town, now has come up more as developers bought into since it's close to NYC - you can see it from the beach across the bay and then the ocean beyond.     It's still magical, though and that little beach has so many delightful memories for me.   Carla just scrapped it in the last Swap Crop for me.
I'm not sure about the Scots (I should read up, my Mom has a few books here) but it did used to be a rum-runner town where bootleggers brought in liquor during Prohibition here, I think in the 1020's?   There still is a part of town (& street names) called Waterwitch which is where a lot of that happened.   The town next to Highlands is Atlantic Highlands - where Diane lived and her boys grew up!
Highlands also has the Twin Lights lighthouse WAY up high on a hill and Sandy Hook which is literally a strip of land that hooks out into the ocean.  It used to be an Army base, now is a state park and a part of Gateway park including the Statue of Liberty and places in NY.
Anyway.....   

Island Heights - also very pretty!

I go and have a look on Carla's page she did for you in the swap :) very interesting info and I went on google and had a walk around :) 

Jackson NJ 

15 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

I go and have a look on Carla's page she did for you in the swap :) very interesting info and I went on google and had a walk around :) 

Jackson NJ 

Oh, that's so nice!  I like to think of you looking around Highlands. :)

Keansburg NJ

Another town on the NJ coast.  When I was little they had an amusement park there with rides and games, we'd go there a few times in the summer and had a lot of fun!

14 hours ago, MariJ said:

Jane!  I was born in Newark and spent a lot of my childhood there as that's where my cousins and Grandma lived! :)

Passaic, NJ

I'm so loving getting to know New Jersey its not normally where NZ tourists visit but I think their missing out :) 

Quinton Township....the only Q i could find in NJ :) 

You are right about New Jersey!  We get overshadowed by New York but it's a really great place with everything from ocean to cities to farmland to wetlands etc.  We are one of the smallest states in area, but the most densely populated.

Never heard of Quinton!

Roselle NJ

15 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

Seaside Heights.   looks just gorgeous but its amazing how flat it all is. Is all NJ very much like this?

That's the thing about New Jersey.   There are very flat parts, mostly in the middle and south.  But more north and especially west as you go towards Pennsylvania, it is hilly and with mountains.   Where I live, I can't leave my house without going up or down a hill - I'm in a bit of a valley!  My Mom used to say her cousins in Pennsylvania where they have bigger mountains used to say ours aren't, they were too small!  But, we DO have highs and lows for sure!   Even at the shore, there are high points
Seaside Heights IS gorgeous.   All of our beaches are - I have friends who have a house here!  HERE'S a cool link I found!

Trenton 

Our state capitol, I admit I've never been there!  

12 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

Windsor NJ.........I had to pick this one as I'm from Windsor in the UK :) 

Oh, cool!   I think that's way down in South Jersey!
So, there is no city or town in NJ that starts with "X".   There is a huge Mall named
"Xanadu"
that was being built in the Meadowlands, but it never came to be, the huge structure is still there.

5 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

Avon-by-the-Sea  

I'm fascinated with your gorgeous coastline and this sounded very English and we have the Avon River in Christchurch NZ as well :) 

Ah, so cool Jane and I am delighted that NJ is getting it's due.   We're so often (& mostly) overlooked by New York and while we have many cities and industrial areas, our coastline and beaches are beautiful.   If you look at NJ most of our eastern part is coast, but not all of it is beach, like by me it's mostly industry and ports.  But as you go South they are gorgeous, I'm so happy you are taking a look and yes!  I never thought of it but so much is English sounding.  I guess that is not too surprising since we are one of the 13 original colonies settled by English. :)   I like that we have many places the same names and while I am in awe of the beauty of your country, it's nice to hear you fascinated with mine!  One difference of course is we are not tropical, I've seen snow on our beaches and sometimes even the salt water in the rivers connecting to the ocean have frozen, even ice on the ocean at times, though I haven't seen that!  
Whew, I can be long-winded....

Belmar

That is the town next to Avon and it's a hopping town in the summer with lots of rentals and young people staying weeks at a time.  My friend has a house there that was her Grandmas so I spent some time there as a teenager!  

6 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

Its a private lake community and the photo I saw taken in autumn looks wonderful :) looks a lovely place to live.

Englishtown NJ :) 

Englishtown has a huge outdoor flea market I went to many years ago.  At least I think it’s still there!

Frenchtown