File Storage On 2 Computers

Guest heartofwisdom

Guest heartofwisdom
I have a desktop downstairs (I work at home) and a laptop upstairs (DH likes me upstairs in the evening so I bought another computer).

The Psd files are huge, I'm getting short on space on my laptop and I’m tired of copying files on CDs going back and forth between computers.

My options are to get networked or buy an external drive. I’m kind of networked in that all computers are hooked to same computer but I never got the network between computers to work. I'm network illiterate so I’m thinking external hard drive.

I want to purchase something that I can hook to both computers. I'm considering T.one Thumb Drive (8GB) because it’s small but maybe too small. PC mag rated Seagate External Hard Drive (400 GB) the best external hard drive. I am doing some serious scrapping as well as business (also a lot of images) and need lots of space. Any ideas?

Guest lisaedson
I would go as big as you can afford for an external hard drive, I am longing to buy one and have one in mind, but now I just need to wait until my birthday in June to actually get it.

Not only do PSDs take up a lot of space but so do photographs, it's still recommended to back up onto CD occasionally though as you never know.

Hope you are happy with whatever you decide in the end!

Liss
xx

External hard drive! External hard drive!

You'll love it and want to hug it and kiss it and take it to dances and hang loverly signs all over it because your life will suddenly become so much easier.

And then, of course, back everything up on DVDs because there is NO such thing as a completely 100% reliable hard drive of any variety.

Just like there is no such thing as a completely 100% reliable car of any variety.

I also agree as far as going external. I don't know if this applies or not, but last time my hard drive failed, I lost files from both internal drives because I was only using the second as a storage drive, which was pretty much open to the same turmoil as my actual windows drive. So definately, I'd go external.

Guest heartofwisdom
Well that was quick and easy. Makes more sense than networking.

I'll order the external today. Thank God I can write all this off!!

Thanks so much.

Archived