Verizon Broadband (or Other Wireless Services)

podiumchick

We are stuck using dial-up for a long time as DSL is not scheduled to come this far out of town for a couple more years. We found a Verizon Broadband that would give us high speed, but my DH is concerned about going over the 5GB/month limit. He's concerned that between me looking at LO's in the gallery (which is hard for me to do right now so I don't leave all the love I should) and him looking at auctions on ebay, we'd exceed our limit. And that is not even looking at product downloads, uploading photos, etc....

So, my question is--for those of you who have a wireless broadband service--do you ever get close to the limit? I know Sprint also offers service in our area. We are not interested in a satellite service that requires a dish such as Wild Blue or Hughes Net.

Thanks for your input!

Hey Kim! We just set up our Parish with a Sprint card. We chose Sprint only because Verizon admitted to us that in that area they use Sprint's towers. But anyway, they just went through their first month of service and are THRILLED with it! They say they didn't even come close to their 5GB limit, and they use the internet alot. And the priest uses his camera phone to speak to his relatives in the Phillipeans on a regular basis! So I'd say go for it!!

You might check your local cable service (not dish networks) and see if they offer a combined cable/high speed package. I have that offered here but I already had wireless via Clearwire! I don't know if Clearwire is available in your area but I do know they went national on the stock market...so its worth checking out.

forgot to say clearwire is unlimited and so is my charter cable.

You might check your local cable service (not dish networks) and see if they offer a combined cable/high speed package. I have that offered here but I already had wireless via Clearwire! I don't know if Clearwire is available in your area but I do know they went national on the stock market...so its worth checking out.

forgot to say clearwire is unlimited and so is my charter cable.

We're too far from town for cable. I checked into Clearwire last week. Nothing here yet with them. Thanks anyway!

I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who has limits on their internet. With the kit downloads and uploading of LO's, how much do you use?

• 1 month later...
We are stuck using dial-up for a long time as DSL is not scheduled to come this far out of town for a couple more years. We found a Verizon Broadband that would give us high speed, but my DH is concerned about going over the 5GB/month limit. He's concerned that between me looking at LO's in the gallery (which is hard for me to do right now so I don't leave all the love I should) and him looking at auctions on ebay, we'd exceed our limit. And that is not even looking at product downloads, uploading photos, etc....

So, my question is--for those of you who have a wireless broadband service--do you ever get close to the limit? I know Sprint also offers service in our area. We are not interested in a satellite service that requires a dish such as Wild Blue or Hughes Net.

Thanks for your input!

I am in the same boat as you Kim. Live to far out for highspeed also. I do have the Verizon Broadband and I have no problems at all. We download movies, music, anything scrapbook related and I do all my genealogy on it also. If I was going over I am sure my DH would have told me by now. he difinitely tells me about with regards to my cell phone.

I will say that for me it is not as fast as it is supposed to be though because we are not in the 3G network yet. We are still in the old one but it still beats dial up I think. So if you have not already I would give it a shot.

Christy

Kim, is there an easy way to track your useage? I am concerned about overages. When DH is off work you tube and message boards are all he does. We have hughesnet and HATE it!! At most times it is not better than dial up. I guess I am just scared to take a risk.

On the little window where we log on to VZW there is a button for 'usage' and another that says 'log'. The usage just keeps a running total for the billing month. The log shows how much was used on what days. Our first three days we used almost 1 G of our 5 G limit, but I think both PCs went crazy getting updates since it was fast. And our Norton had to update too, since it could. And then I had been saving up my December downloads knowing faster service was coming! Our usage has slowed WAY down now. We have teens in the house so we have said 'no youtube' until we figure out our regular usage. So far it is a lot of SG and facebook and hotmail for us!

Archived