9 replies to this topic

#1 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

My ten year old (almost 11) granddaughter has asked for the twilight books for Christmas. I'm just not sure they are age appropriate. I haven't read them, not really interested, but certainly don't want to get her going with something she's not ready for yet. She's a great little reader, but not very mature, still very naive. I would really value some input from some fans here.
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • 8,022 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

Well, I have read all the books and I would say probably not. My 9 yo ds has a girl in his class that read the first one and wanted to borrow the rest of mine and I told her no, then he wanted to read them since he has heard so much about them and I had to tell him no. I then discussed it with the school librarian, as they have the series in the school library and she agreed that it was more for the teen set and older. HTH

gallery_8176_229_23474.png

Button_Layout.pngButton_Published.pngWT-Button-copy.gif
SGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_Blessed.gif

#3 KellyChron

KellyChron

Living La Vida ScrapGirls

• Members
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

A good rule of thumb for all adolescent literature is that the age of the reader should be about the same as the age of the main character. HTH! :)

gallery_6718_356_1715.png I scrap with a MAC2010_MW_Sig.gif
BLINKIES_sgdevotee.gifBLINKIES_NightSCRAP.gif

#4 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:18 AM

Thank you, that's about what I thought. This particular little girl is in a big rush to grow up, and I know kids do have to grow up faster than when I was a girl, but I don't want to push her off too soon, either. Thank goodness there are other books that she is interested in. Also thankful that she loves to read. In school last year (4th grade), she won the prize for reading the most books in her class and is well on her way to the same this year. Maybe I should email her teacher and ask what she thinks. I really appreciate the input.
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 cherise

cherise

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Design Team
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

I have not read them either, but have close family and friends that adore them. My 10 yo son also asked about reading them, and I got lots of input from friends and family about them. They all concurred that it is not age appropriate for my son. So I told him and he's fine with it. There are about a billion and one *other* books out there for him to read, so he just chose some different ones.

Cherise

New Products now in the Boutique:

COL_ExoticCollection_MKTG_150.jpg     COL_AYOZoom_12x12Exotic_MKTG_150.jpg     COL_ExoticFrameClusters_Emb_MKTG_150.jpg     COL_ExoticMendhi_Emb_MKTG_150.jpg

Button_Designer.png

#6 Shelbi

Shelbi

Grumpy Lumpy Scrapping Junkie

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

I have read all of them.
I would say that for sure the 4th book is NOT.
I would try and get her to wait a few years.

#7 sheriL

sheriL

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

I let my 11 yo daughter read them, but I definitely had reservations. I read them first so I knew what was in them. I wasn't too bothered by most of the vampire stuff (which was actually the reason I was concerned before reading them myself), but there was definitely a level of romance in them I was a little concerned with for a grade 6-er. To be completely honest, the biggest reason I let her read them was because I wanted to keep the lines of communication open. There are lots of kids her age reading them at school, so she would have easy access if she chose to read them without my permission. By saying yes, it gave me the opening to discuss them as she read, and answer her questions (yes, there were definitely a couple), rather than her either not asking those questions, or asking a bunch of other 11 year olds. I'd rather she got my answers!
Dh gave me a little grief about that line of thinking (so what, go ahead and have a beer, as long as you do it at home), but I think the scenarios a little different.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'd think 10 is a little young. My 15 (& 17- now 18) year old read them long before I did.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#9 Kori

Kori

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

I agree with most everyone else. I wouldn't let a child that age read these books. I would tell them to wait a few more years. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Becca

Becca

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:28 AM

My step-daughter is almost 10, and I would not let her read them. She's shown no interest in them either, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users