Google Chrome

msannie

I just learned about Google Chrome yesterday after reading about the serious security leak in IE, so I downloaded it, installed it, and have really been happy with it ONCE I FIGURED OUT WHERE THINGS WERE. It doesn't kick me off the net like my last browser did. Pages load VERY fast, and navigation goes twice as quickly as before. I was really beginning to worry about how slow my SG pages were loading, thinking maybe the SG site was having some problems, but it seems to have cleared up completely with this new browser. That pretty well vindicates SG!

I guess learning something new every day/week/month is almost a given when you use computers and electronic gadgets. Just bite the bullet and try it.

F2W, have you used Chrome yet? There's not much to it, or so it seems, and I wonder if you might have some tips or suggestions I don't know about. It's unusual to use the address bar as a search engine, but you can get used to that. They've moved the bookmarks folder to the far right, but that's not a dealbreaker. So far, so good!

No, I haven't used it. A while back I checked it out, but at the time it was still in beta and I didn't want to go with a beta version. I'm still waiting for it to be out a while before deciding whether to use it. I do like Google - they're my home page and my most-used email account - so I expect good things from them. I really like their email service because of the way they group the emails; very innovative. I like the way they tend to "think outside the box."

I've been using Firefox for about eight months on the advice of my computer guru......my son.......and have loved it until just this last week when it started to run slower and slower. I learned of Chrome through the SG messageboard and thought I'd give it a try. What a pleasant surprise!

I'm a big fan of any Google products - I use Google mail and Google feed reader. I installed Chrome as soon as I heard about it several months ago. I love it and won't go back to IE (which I sadly still have to use at work). It's super fast and so easy to use.

- It remembers all the sites I've ever been to, it's so intuitive - just start typing letters in the address bar and it offers a list of suggestions.

- It tells you what you recently bookmarked.

- It keeps screenshots of the top 9 sites you use most often right there on the home page which are instantly clickable and THAT's the best feature and why I love it so much!!!!

I know many of you use and love Firefox and I'm not trying to convert, but if you are considering switching from IE, try Chrome too. I love it!

MsSidney.....Thanks for pointing out the pics for the most-often-visited pages. That is so cool to have them right there at your fingertip. I hadn't even noticed them really, because once I located the specifics I needed to operate with, I forgot about the browser. It's so unobtrusive and doesn't occupy a lot of your screen real estate. I'm really happy with it, too.

I may have to switch. I used Firefox for years and loved it, then used IE for a few months when I bought this new laptop. Switched back to Firefox a few days ago and am really frustrated with the download feature. I downloaded a few products from SG from their sale and now I can't get rid of the "2 active downloads (a few second remaining)" message on the bottom of my screen. When I go to Tools>Downloads it shows the whole list of all the products I downloaded and they all say "starting." It won't let me clear the list, so I'm stuck with the list and with the message. If I don't get that cleared off soon, I may be the newest convert to Chrome.

Sorry - if I sound really frustrated it's because I am. :( I thought their download feature was supposed to be on the good things about Firefox.

Hummmm....sounds familiar. Once upon a time, my Firefox wouldn't delete the completed downloads button at the bottom. I accidently hit some key or selection that made it go away. It was such an unexpected surprise that I didn't observe exactly what was done. I suppose you've tried the right-click delete; It seems like Firefox has sent out a LOT of small upgrade patches recently, and I'm wondering if it's not beginning to bloat the program.

We liked it when there was not much to it, it was fast, it worked. That's what Chrome does now, and hopefully Google won't start adding patches to 'make it better.'

I downloaded FireFox a few months ago and it would never let me go into a live chat on SG. After reading this link I'm off to install Chrome!

It's a very blustery, snowy day in Buffalo so what does a girl do but shop on line and play! I am NOT going out to make a snowman! LOL

:snow_cool::mikec::christmas:

Hummmm....sounds familiar. Once upon a time, my Firefox wouldn't delete the completed downloads button at the bottom. I accidently hit some key or selection that made it go away. It was such an unexpected surprise that I didn't observe exactly what was done. I suppose you've tried the right-click delete; It seems like Firefox has sent out a LOT of small upgrade patches recently, and I'm wondering if it's not beginning to bloat the program.

We liked it when there was not much to it, it was fast, it worked. That's what Chrome does now, and hopefully Google won't start adding patches to 'make it better.'

I've tried everything I can think of. I've hit Cancel for individual items on the list, I've hit Select All>Cancel, I've rebooted, but nothing will get rid of the darn list. Now it's saying it has one active download with unknown time remaining and it still has the long list that is "starting" even though most of those files were downloaded yesterday. So I may be uninstalling Firefox and installing Chrome this weekend.

Update: I went to the Mozilla website and followed their instructions. I had to reset to default settings. It cleared it and I was pleased. Then I downloaded today's freebies and I'm back to having the "one active download" message and a long list of downloads that are supposedly "starting." I refuse to have to reset to default settings after every download in order to get rid of the message and list, so Google Chrome, here I come.

• 2 weeks later...

High recommend Google Chrome it's fantastic! All my pages download faster, SG newsletters download in a blink of an eye. I downloaded 10 sg files today, over 20 megs each and it only took me a little less than 10 mins!! Compared to a 1/2 or more with IE. I haven't been kicked off once, can still use my yahoo as my homepage and love that my virus software hasn't found so much as a cookie! I love the tab system so I can keep my email open while i browse another site and because it's all on tabs i don't have a million windows open anymore. Also, I can see all of my downloads on a seperate tab so that i can make sure i downloaded everything. Plus Chrome will keep them until you delete them by date, so if you downloaded something 3 days ago and you want to download it again or send it to someone, then just scroll down to that date and there it is! It's fast, simple and no nonsense. Let's hope Google leaves a good thing alone!

Archived