Organizing Styles In Pse 7!

ManiakMama

Ok, I'm just SO happy to be able to tell you all how to do this, because it just makes having a LOT of styles so much easier!

I don't have PSE 6, so this could be the same, but it might not be. So, if someone wants to test it out in 6, that would be fab.

Here's how I did it.

Decide on what you would like to call your categories. I use categories like Paper Styles, Fabric Styles, Metal Styles, etc.

After installing my styles with Add-O-Matic, I went into the XML file for each one (Add-O-Matic creates these for you). It's best to open the XML file in Word or in Notepad so that you can edit it easily.

In the XML file, there will be a line like this: <typecategory id="CatSTYLE_NAME" value="STYLE_NAME" localize="true" />

All you need to do is change the 2nd STYLE NAME in that line to be whatever you would like to categorize that style as. So for example, if I wanted to put it into the Paper Styles category, my line will look like this: <typecategory id="CatSTYLE_NAME" value="Paper Styles" localize="true" />

You will need to rebuild your Artwork and Effects database to get everything to reload properly, but it WORKS!!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMG! Amy, I'm so happy you figured this out! I knew it had something to do with the xml file but I couldn't figure out how to make it work!

TFS! :bouncing-frog:

OH WOW! I can't wait to do this, but, first---Where is the XML file?? I don't know quite where to go. Then after I find the XML file, is there a special way to "rebuild the artwork and effects pallet"? In PSE5 it would do that every time i loaded a style, but PSE7 never said that when I loaded them with Add-o-matic, so if i need to delete something or whatever I need to know how to do that too.

TIA!

Jenn

I'm so glad you figured this out, Amy! You just don't know how much I'm depending on your finding all the tricks in PSE 7 and sharing them with us. As PSE 7 is my first PSE program (I've used PSP for years!) I need all the extra help I can get! And actually, since I got PSE 7 just to be able to use the styles and actions in the Boutique, this is especially helpful!

Amy, thanks so much for sharing this with us! I think I need to make some categories now since a bunch of styles ended up in my cart with the sale!

Jenn - to get PSE 7 to rebuild the effects database you have to delete the "Thumbs database" file that is the folder level above the Layer Styles folder. The XML files are in the Layer Styles folder along with their respective styles (so each style as the style file and an xml file)

So in Vista, the thumbs database is here:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\PhotoshopElements\7.0

After you delete the database and restart PSE it will take a while for it to rebuild the database (up to 5 minutes depending on how many styles & actions you have installed)

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
ok, so once I change the info, what do I do? Do I save it, and where at? I am so sorry, I am not clear with what to do after I change the file name.

The styles (the Fx file) and the coordinating XML file would go in the Layer Styles folder in

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\PhotoshopElements\7.0\Photo Creations

The thumbs database will (should) rebuild after you delete it and restart elements.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Amy! I think this should work in pse6 too. I tried messing with the xml file, but changes the wrong name - I changed the first one instead of the second, and it didn't do anything. I guess I just needed to be a little more patient and play a bit more!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Amy, I sent you a PM about it...but here is the screenshot:

And/or for anyone who knows about these things...I'm trying to get to the xml file to change the name so that I can have groups. But when I get to the layer styles folder, it looks like that picture above. The xml file name doesn't look like what is mentioned in the thread above. The only time I see it like is mentioned above is if I double click on the xml file and up pops what seems to be an Explorer window with the long xml file name and some other stuff there. But you can't change anything from there.

How do I get to the long xml file name????

Or is this what I should be asking...how do I get to the metadata?

Thanks.

And I'm using Vista and PSE7

Charlene,

When you get to your styles folder and click on the .xml file you can't just double click on it and have it open like you normally can. You need to open it in Word or Notepad and make the changes there, then save it back into your syles folder.

So right-click on the .xml file and choose Open With, then select Notepad.

Let me know if this works for you.

Okay...let me go see. (I thought it was said to do that earlier in the thread just to make it easier. lol) I figured, "I don't need easy." Big laugh!

What would I do without the hand-holding here at ScrapGirls????

Be back soon...

Gosh, this stuff make me feel like an "I'm trying to say i d i o t". Ugh.

I right clicked and opened it to NotePad. I changed it to this:

<typecategory id="CatASO_SSTools_DuoToneGlitterGels_6401_SB" value="SG Glitters" localize="true" />

notice the spot that says "SG Glitters"

What do I do with it from there? What I just pasted above...the whole line...do I paste that back as the name of the XML file?

In the screenshot where it says:

ASO_SSTools_DuoToneGlitterGels_6401_SB.metadata

Do I replace that?

So sorry....

Man, it edited my post so that it looked like I was cussing. So NOT ME! I put i d i o t (all squished together) and it changed it to 3 of these:*

Made it look like I put a 3 letter word that starts with "A."

LOL Not my day, huh?

If I understand you correctly, after you changed the line to read

<typecategory id="CatASO_SSTools_DuoToneGlitterGels_6401_SB" value="SG Glitters" localize="true" />

then just File > Save. It will save the .xml file. Leave the name alone. Let it just Save and it will Save with it's original name.

I'm trying it now.

I went to open up PSE to see...but it is a little slow...maybe 'cause I deleted the thumbs database.

Just to try to make sure...again...lol

When I opened it up with notepad, this is everything that showed up on the notepad...except I put the SG Glitters in there:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PSEContent xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/PSEContent/1.0/">

<global>

<type value="style" />

</global>

</PSEContent>

So...at the top of the notepad, just hit FILE>SAVE and it saves those changes into the fx/xml file name in the layers style folder?

(It's still building the contents and effects in PSE.)

Crossing my fingers as I type. (That makes for interesting typing! lol)

I did all my changes for the groupings and deleted the thumb database thingy....

but PSE did not want to open for me. Kept saying it encountered a problem. That was after the first time it was trying to reload.

Shut down the computer and then tried again.

No luck.

Uninstalled PSE7 and reinstalled it.

Trying again...right now. I'm scared to look over at it to see if it is working or not....

It is in the process of building content and effects.

But that's where it always gets hung up and says it's gonna shut the program down.

Meanwhile...I gotta run to the store and then get the boys.

Keeping those fingers crossed, though!

:walkinghelmet:

Char, it takes mine a LONG time to rebuild, so I usually just leave it for a good 15-20 minutes and let it do it's thing and that seems to make the waiting less antagonizing. I hope it works for you! I'm sorry you had to uninstall and reinstall!

Oh yeah, oh yeah...it worked, it worked!

(That's me chanting.)

Thanks so much ladies!!!

Silly goofy me (I know now I can't call myself an i d i o t around here lol) mistyped a couple of things. lol

So, I have some glitters in SG Glitter and some of them are in SG GLitter.

And, I also have SG Metal and SG Metals.

I'll go change that and hope PSE will start back up with no problems.

Then to install the actions...bwahaha!

Ugghhh! You are going to make me do this aren't you! Ok, in preparation for this, what catagories are you ladies doing?? This would be wayyy less scarey for me if one of you would just come do it for me! grrrr! I may try the picture fix thingy at the same time...maybe.

I'd like to see someone's category list, too.

And, yes! You must do this! lol

If I can muddle my way through it, you sure can. lol

Right now, I have

glass

glitter

paper

metal

fabric and stitching

edges

misc

misc2

lol

Like, where do I fit in rocks, shells, uniques (that's the names by the way), etc. I just put them in misc.

Then in misc2 I have stuff like embed, emboss, punch out, blended.

I didn't know where to throw chipboard, so I stuck it in paper.

And what about acrylic swirls? lol I put it in misc.

Then there's WellLoved with a variety in it. I stuck it in misc2.

But, at least they are for the most part grouped together in themes. Especially glitter and glass and metal.

Soooo happy!!!!

Yay! Glad it's working for you guys. The nice thing is that you can go back and change your Style Categories any time you want, so if you find yourself getting a lot of a certain type, you could eventually break it out into it's own category. I"m so happy that so many of you are able to do this! I was so excited when I FINALLY figured out how to do it!!

Here are the categories that I have:

Acrylic Styles

Curled Edges Shadows

Drop Shadows

Fabric Styles

Glitter Styles

Inked Edges

Metal Styles

Paper Styles

Paper Tear Styles (this one is for Melissa's Paper Tear Action)

Recess

SewDoodly

Sisal Styles

Stitching Styles

Vellum Styles

Water_Ice Styles

Thanks, Amy. Do you know how many categories (including the PSE ones) we can have?

With PSE4 we could only show 29 at a time. Of course, with grouping metals together and paper and glitter, etc....that helps TREMENDOUSLY in several ways.

Archived