Organizing Styles In Pse 7!

ManiakMama

Also, as time goes by and I get in there and start using PSE7, I'll get a feel for how I have them categorized and if I'll want to change it up some.

Like vellum...I put it with the papers. lol For now, that's fine.

I did go back and fix those little mistakes from yesterday. :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've successfully categorized my major categories. I'm not putting each and every style in a category at this point. However, I do have a bunch of shadows which I have put in a shadow category BUT how do I change the drop shadow which shows as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PSEContent xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/PSEContent/2.0/">

<subscription value="free" />

<type value="style" />

<category value="$$$/content/category/type/Shadows=Drop Shadows" />

<item id="1">

<name value= "$$$/content/styles/High=High" />

</item>

<item id="2">

<name value= "$$$/content/styles/Low=Low" />

</item>

<item id="3">

<name value= "$$$/content/styles/Noisy=Noisy" />

</item>

<item id="4">

<name value= "$$$/content/styles/HardEdge=Hard Edge" />

</item>

<item id="5">

<name value= "$$$/content/styles/SoftEdge=Soft Edge" />

</item>

<item id="6">

<name value= "$$$/content/styles/Outline=Outline" />

</item>

<item id="7">

<name value= "$$$/content/styles/Fill/Outline=Fill/Outline" />

</item>

<item id="8">

<name value= "$$$/content/styles/Neon=Neon" />

</item>

</PSEContent>

I didn't want to goof everything up! lol

Thanks for any help you can give me

Those are the ones that came with PSE, right?

I had wanted (still do) group all of their WOW ones together. I never use them. But I got too scared to mess with theirs. lol

Maybe Amy knows.

With PSE4...my understanding is that I could not group them and I had the 29 style limit. So, I had an extra folder of all my styles including the ones that came with PSE. Then I went to the PSE styles folder and deleted their WOW and Chrome and whatever else that I wasn't using that came with it. I still had them in the "extra" folder in case I needed them back.

Since I have enough room with PSE7, I guess I'll leave them there. But...I would still like to group them together. Maybe one big PSE free category (for all the ones I don't use that came with it.)

Oh Amy.........

Those are the ones that came with PSE, right?

I had wanted (still do) group all of their WOW ones together. I never use them. But I got too scared to mess with theirs. lol

Maybe Amy knows.

With PSE4...my understanding is that I could not group them and I had the 29 style limit. So, I had an extra folder of all my styles including the ones that came with PSE. Then I went to the PSE styles folder and deleted their WOW and Chrome and whatever else that I wasn't using that came with it. I still had them in the "extra" folder in case I needed them back.

Since I have enough room with PSE7, I guess I'll leave them there. But...I would still like to group them together. Maybe one big PSE free category (for all the ones I don't use that came with it.)

Oh Amy.........

Me tooo! Ohhhhhh Amy -we need help! Can you come out and help us??? Pretty please! :bouncing-frog:

I'm not sure what the limit is in PSE 7, I guess I don't have enough styles yet to figure that out!

But, I would think you would group the PSE default styles the same way that you would the SG styles. Just go into the XML file and edit the Category. If you want to have one group for all of them, just change all of the XML files for them to be whatever you want to call it.

That's what I would try first. Unless I need to, I don't plan on changing any of my default styles (even though I've never used most of them in 2+ years!)

Does that help?

Amy, Sorry, no that didn't help.

In my example above, would you change the last place "drop shadows" shows? Can you tell I don't feel exceptionally brave tonight? I suppose I could just try it. lol

lol

I have to agree...not enough help there. lol

We need SPECIFICS! lol

Amy, in the example up above, do you know exactly which part you would change?

lol

Ok, sorry ladies. Here's more specific instructions, for this part of the XML file:

<category value="$$$/content/category/type/Shadows=Drop Shadows" />

I would change what I have highlighted in Red, to whatever you want your new category to be. The rest of the XML file is the code for the individual Drop Shadow styles that are installed. Does that help?

Thanks Amy.

I'll try it out tomorrow maybe. Although, since I do have room for all my styles since they are grouped...I don't know if I will mess with it or not.

I might ask you sometime about actions, though. lol

I just did one tonight. Myself...not with add-o-matic since I want the designers image to show up.

It did fine. All 3 warped images are there.

So, I went back and did all the other ones. Well, only some of them are showing up. I did them all the same. Copy/pasted them all to the same folder.

Any idea why I can't see them all? Even when I click on "all" they aren't all in there.

Any ideas on that? In PSE4, I think it would say in one spot something like "MRE Photobasics." When you clicked on it, it would take you to the 6 options of the PhotoBasic actions. Is it not the same with PSE7? For the actions that are showing up...the individual actions are all showing. Like for the one I just mentioned, it would be showing all 6 actions instead of the six "hiding" inside the one. Am I making sense?

I may have done it wrong. I opened up my action folder in my supplies, copied the 6 files (using Photobasics as an example again.) 3 would be jpegs and 3 would be atn files. I pasted those 6 files into the effects folder. Was that right? I think in PSE4 I put the entire folder in there. Should I have done that with these in PSE7? Probably. And it probably has a limit to how many actions. And since I did them all individually, they aren't all showing up. Right?

So, I need to go back and remove all those individual files and paste in the actual folders.

Right? lol

I'm talking myself through this. lol

Hopefully you or someone is agreeing with me.

I'll deal with it tomorrow!!!

Thanks.

:)

• 5 months later...

I am late to this game LOL, but I will be doing this!

I'm thinking that I will try to group all the styles included PSE7 together, I never use them, but I'd like the look of it if they were all tucked away together.

I'm late to this as well - I just recently got PSE 7, upgrading from PSE 5. I'm really glad to hear that there's a way to organize the styles because 7 doesn't list the purchased ones like 5 did - I can only see them when I choose "select all" and I hate having to sort through ALL the styles when I'm looking for one!

So here's my problem: When I installed my styles I just dragged them into the appropriate folder. When I got PSE 7 I copied them from the 5 folder to the 7 folder. So I don't have xml files for the styles I've purchased. Is there any way to sort styles without that file? If not, how can I get those xml files?

I'm late to this as well - I just recently got PSE 7, upgrading from PSE 5. I'm really glad to hear that there's a way to organize the styles because 7 doesn't list the purchased ones like 5 did - I can only see them when I choose "select all" and I hate having to sort through ALL the styles when I'm looking for one!

So here's my problem: When I installed my styles I just dragged them into the appropriate folder. When I got PSE 7 I copied them from the 5 folder to the 7 folder. So I don't have xml files for the styles I've purchased. Is there any way to sort styles without that file? If not, how can I get those xml files?

You will need to create your own XML files. Check out this link for some good instructions:

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=16483

This topic was for PSE6, but the 'way' you create XML files is the same. But check out the messages above for where they are stored in PSE7.

These threads really saved me, and it is easy too! You can do this!

try this thread, read post #7

Here is another, read post #10

Karen, thanks for those extra two links. The explanations were very clear and I am now very excited to report that all my styles are installed in PSE7 duly sorted! Yay!

Now I just have one more question: When I choose a category from the drop down menu (such as paper or glass) and hover over an individual icon, the name it displays is one of the WOW plastic names (presumably because that's the metadata file I used for creating the other metadata files). Is there any way that I can have those display the correct name? The main reason for this is so that I can remember the name of each style and who designed it so I can give credit when I use one.

I figured it out! YAY! I don't know if this has already been explained, but I didn't see it in the instructions I found, so I'll share what I found in case anyone else had this problem.

When I created the xml files and sorted my styles as has been explained above, I ended up with all my styles of one category (for example, all the metals) together in one set, but they were all mixed up and didn't show the correct name when I held my mouse over one. Most of them had some variation of the Wow Plastic names, since that's the xml file I used as a template for the ones I created.

How I fixed it was to go into all the xml files I created and delete everything between the line where I added the style name and category and the end. So everything between this line:

<category value="$$$/content/category/type/ASO_SSTools_Styles_AnodizedAlum _Prim_6401=Metal" />

and this line:

</PSEContent>

What you're deleting is the list of individual options within that one style. When PSE rebuilt the thumbs database it didn't add any data into that part of the xml, but it did something because now the styles show up properly, displaying the right name for each option. Also, for the most part, the style options are grouped together properly within the category. (So within the "Metal" category all the Anodized Alum options are together, then all the 14 K golds, then all the Grunged Metals, etc.)

Thanks again for all your help in figuring this out. I am so happy to have my styles grouped like this! It's going to make using them so much more efficient!

WOW! Am I ever glad that I found this thread. I just started loading my styles into PSE7 and I was wondering how to organize them. Now I know. I'm going to read through this thread very slowly and attempt to try it out. I made a copy and now have it in a Word Doc so that I can peruse it in my leasure.

Thanks ladies. You are the best.

:dancing_penguin:

I want so badly to have the time and the head space to figure this out. The styles in PSE7 is just about a deal breaker for me. I don't like sorting through them all either. Luckily I know my inventory well enough to know who made what. Since everything goes in alphabetically, that helps! LOL! But I sure would love the sub categories like in 5. Maybe someone will be at the conference and walk me through this process in person!

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SO excited!!!!!

Now I need to learn how to do the actions. Can anybody teach me how to do this so the pictures show up with the actions??

Mark just said " I haven't seen you smile like this all week"!!

I can do this!!!! I can't believe it!!

I am such a geek.

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SO excited!!!!!

Now I need to learn how to do the actions. Can anybody teach me how to do this so the pictures show up with the actions??

I am such a geek.

Amy, you can do the Actions the same way. To get the image to show up, I copy the JPG file that came with the images, and then paste it into the folder where the Actions are and it saves over the image that Add-O-Matic put in for me.

LOL! Congratulations, Amy! I'm glad you got those styles all sorted. I used PSE 5 for a year and a half and never knew that you could sort them into categories! I always had to use the big long list.

I'm still working on my actions. Thankfully Amy had some advice on that. :-) Hmmm...two Amy's. This could get confusing!

Amy,

Actions work pretty similarly to styles, just in a different folder. If you want your actions to show up with the Icons for them and the full list, you need to copy the ATN file, the JPG file AND the XML file (which u need to create) into this folder:

ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0\Photo Creations\photo effects

Then, like with the styles, you'll need to delete the thumbs database and restart PSE. To get to your actions you would look in the Effects palette under Photo Effects.

(in another thread on this mb, there is a discussion about putting the actions in a different folder (b/c you can also get the actions to show up (without icons) in the Guided Action player tab) The method above will let you see the icons for the actions. I actually have them in two places because my hard drive is pretty large, but you don't have to.

Hope this helps you (or anyone else wanting to install actions). If you have more questions, post away!

Amy,

Actions work pretty similarly to styles, just in a different folder. If you want your actions to show up with the Icons for them and the full list, you need to copy the ATN file, the JPG file AND the XML file (which u need to create) into this folder:

ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0\Photo Creations\photo effects

Then, like with the styles, you'll need to delete the thumbs database and restart PSE. To get to your actions you would look in the Effects palette under Photo Effects.

(in another thread on this mb, there is a discussion about putting the actions in a different folder (b/c you can also get the actions to show up (without icons) in the Guided Action player tab) The method above will let you see the icons for the actions. I actually have them in two places because my hard drive is pretty large, but you don't have to.

Hope this helps you (or anyone else wanting to install actions). If you have more questions, post away!

Wow! Thanks everyone! I will work on actions after I get home from church media practice tonite! Can't wait! Isn't SG great????!!!!

I would never figure this all out with you all!

Amy, Kim -

The actions didn't work so well. I went through and where it says "Add-o-matic" about 3 lines down is where I typed in the name I wanted it to group as.. Those that I have done are not showing up in the effects section, but still are in the last group where they all show. What did I do wrong? Did I change the wrong thing? I deleted the thumbs database and re-booted.

Thanks

Did you force PSE to rebuild the database? With 6, it seemed like once I rebuilt the database once, the new Styles showed up correctly whenever I added a new one. However, the Actions wouldn’t show up until I rebuilt the database again—each time I added a new Action.

That may still be the case with 7. Since you’re making a change to the Actions, they might not show up with your changes until you get PSE to rebuild again. Maybe somebody with 7 can verify this.

Guess What! I did do it right! I just didn't click on the down arrow to see them all! Yee Haw!!! I am so happy!

Now, to get those jpegs in so I can see the pictures. Now THAT will be something if I can figure that out. Amy makes it sound so easy, and so far it has been!

I am SO excited!!!!!

I am such a geek.

Amy, you can do the Actions the same way. To get the image to show up, I copy the JPG file that came with the images, and then paste it into the folder where the Actions are and it saves over the image that Add-O-Matic put in for me.

I can see the PNG file, but not the JPEG - where do I find the JPEG?

Archived