Jumpstart January!

AngRoCamp

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one file to organize. lol It's a style. I spent time this week organizing things. Oh, I have 2 freebies to go unzip and put away. :)

I keep the collections together. Meaning, when you download a collection and there are maybe 8 folders or so...I put everything from that collection in one folder. I leave the indiv alphas in their folder within that folder. Then I put the boutique picture of the collection or item on the outside of the folder for a nice quick view of what's inside it.

Then I have things tagged through Windows. Similiar to Ro, I believe. Buttons, hardware, stamps, frames, swirls, flowers, etc.....

This way, I have the best of both worlds...to me anyway. Sometimes I want to go see what all birds (for example) I have. I can go to my shortcuts folder and look at all the birds. Sometimes I want to see what was assembled by the designers as coordinating items...so having the collection still together is nice.

Hmm, I spent quite a bit of time organizing all my sale stuff this weekend so that's taken care of.

I have sort of a hybrid organization system. I started out using Ro's system, and I still file miscellaneous elements (freebies, etc.) in those folders. I've found as I've purchased more collections though, that I really like keeping them together -- it works better for me in scrapping because it's all coordinated already. I have PSE 6, and I tag everything as well, so if I can't find something in a collection I can go pull up all my flowers or blue backgrounds or whatever. So far this is working pretty well for me -- although somewhere I read that using the Organizer in PSE can slow everything down, that hasn't been the case for me yet.

I just had my January club stuff to unzip and file. Since I got this new laptop, I've spent a week moving files from one PC to the other. I decided to try Organizer and so left everything in my folders (as Ro has in the ebook) and just tagged collections and then colors, items, etc. Then everything new I unzipped since then I have left in the collections and just tagged away. Now I learn that Vista also has tag and search features so I may just go that way in the end. If Organizer starts to slow me down I'll just retag a few things in Vista (as in, if a paper has blue in it but doesn't have the word 'blue' in the file name, you must add a blue tag for it to be pulled up when searching for 'blue') I don't feel like I have to change my old filing system if I am using the tags now.

As for the zipped files, after unzipping I put them in a folder called 'burn to DVD' and when it gets several items in it I back it up on DVD for safekeeping.

Task #5 - I finished unzipping & organizing my new club kit and all of the goodies that I bought from the sale this weekend. Feels good to have all of that organized! I use ACDSee to organize. Each kit is in a folder under the designer's name and then each item is tagged according to category (like brads, ribbon, etc.). My paper is tagged by the color of paper & organized that way. Works great for me & how I scrap!

Task #5 With the begining of the New Year I decided to go thru all

my files and cleanup and reorganize some of my folders. I pretty much

organize similar to what Ro suggested.

I keep all my collections together now. I use to seperate them but I like to

keep them together so they all coordinate. The freebies from SGs I do put into categories

like papers, embellishments, frames, etc. I put all the zips into folders & back them up.

My zips from purchases I put in folders labeled SG purchases for (month) and back them up on DVDs.

Thanks to Ro & SGs who were so generous with the Christmas freebies, I decided to make a folder just for

SG_Christmas Freebies_08.

Also I just started doing this for the monthly club kits:

I am putting all the ScrapSimple Club kits into a seperate folder with the

marketing jpg. I have labled them SSimple_Dec08, SSimple_Nov08.

Not sure if I will keep them like that or not. I thought it would be better to have the Club kits

together instead of seperating them. Any suggestions on how others do their Club kits??

I have all my scrapping supplies organized, so task #5 is done ahead of time for me.

I have been really good about doing it as soon as I download the new product.

Maybe to good because I really should be making LOs.

I work on a Mac so I have made 2 libraries. One for photos and one for the digi products

I have. I keep all my collections together, have folders for styles, SS products, word art,

paprs not in collections, etc and have everything tagged ( including items in the collections)

so I can search easily. I have over 40 keywords but it works well for me.

Now if I can only get back to doing LOs!

Yes! I unzip and organize immediately upon receiving new digital scrapbooking elements. I feel so fortunate to have read about Ro's organizing system so early on, and got that set up before I had very much to organize.

In my 0scrapbookelements folder on my desktop hard drive I have the following folders and subfolders:

alphabets -- subfolders for color, metal, design-your-own, halloween, xmas

backgrounds -- subfolders for color, design-your-own, seasons & holidays, photographic, textures

buttons_brads -- subfolders for color and special designs

calendars -- layout templates; I enjoy making a calendar every year

copyrights

fonts -- If they came with a sample page I put it here

frames_corners -- subfolders for color, metal, designyourown, holidays & seasons

graphics -- 42 subfolders from 80s, activities, and animals to transportation, winter, and xmas*

How To -- Ro's videos, PDFs that come with purchases, tutorials I've copied and pasted, notes on techniques, etc.

journaling -- mats and such with subfolders for color and holidays

journaling ideas -- lists of quotes and journaling prompts mostly

KITS -- where I put the jpegs showing a whole kit

layouttemplates -- no subfolders except for templates that come only as separate PNG files, which are kept together

otherembellisments -- 70 items I couldn't figure out how to file although now that I look at them again I think I could! :)

overlays -- no subfolders

paperclips -- no subfolders

pins -- no subfolders, but some of my clips and pins are tagged

quickpages -- no subfolders

ribbons_bows_borders_tassels -- subfolders for color, metals and seasons/holidays

scraplifts -- jpegs of layouts that inspired me

staples -- no subfolders, but I'm amazed I have 56 different staples (I hardly ever use staples! lol)

stitches -- subfolders for color

tags -- subfolders for color and seasons/holidays

tape -- no subfolders; I only have 11 pieces of tape (I think I need more lol)

TOOLS -- In addition to installing them, I've been keeping copies here when I buy new styles, etc.

torn_folded_paper -- no subfolders

words -- 50 subfolders for themes from acting, animals, and autumn to weather, winter, and xmas*

*If anyone wants my complete list of subfolders let me know.

I think this organizational system is working very well, except for one thing. There are some items that could go into one folder. That problem would be solved, I think, if I'd make up my mind which organizing software to use to tag. I have tried Photoshop Elements' Organizer, Picasa, and ACDSee. I've even explored Vista's tagging capabilities on my laptop, which I got in September, but I don't think I can fit my entire collection on my laptop. I do have an EHD, but I'm not using it regularly yet. I am just not fully satisfied with any of the organizing software yet, particularly with the way they handle photos and videos. So that's what I'm working on: committing to a system for tagging and backing up.

Task 5 I'm all unzipped and put away. I organize by collection as my daughter shares my files and finds it easier to be creative that way. I do some tagging and use my search a lot when I'm looking for something. What saves me is the print outs I keep for every item I purchase.

Task #5 is an easy one for me because I always organize my files as I get them!! Yup I'm a nerd!! I use the method on the 15 things you should know e-book. I have added a couple of other folders. Like edges( I have torn edges) and I didn't know where they fell. Just yet.

I guess I have a day off today!! Yeah!!

Maybe I'll scrap another page. - Or clean house... Who am I kidding I'll scrap!! :)

I stay organized by unzipping, and putting away as soon as I download. I started using Ro's system last year. I still do, but I have tweaked it to fit what I need exactly. Today I will print out the contact sheets for all my products, AND organize my brushes according to Shalea's system in her awesome book Mastering Brushwork.

Good speed bump today!

From the start I have followed Ro's plan. However, I have also added a 'Collections' folder to keep my SG Collections intact. Since folder diving is a pain, I move everything to the top level folder of each collection. The alphas and zipped files are kept together in their own respective folders and moved to the top as well. It makes it so much easier to see the whole collection at a glance and makes coordination a snap.

All my SG files are written to a separate external hard drive which is backuped once a week to MozyHome.

For me Task #5 is already done other than this morning's freebie. I automatically unzip and put into folders after downloading each new purchase or club. My basic organizing is simple with one main folder for purchases, one main folder for the club kits and as of right now 2 main folders for the freebies. Then I organize club by month, purchases by the name of the designer such as ASO, BMU, PWR etc and then the name of the collection. I have a separate folder within the main folder for the Zoom Pages Kits. I do however put all the papers into one folder as I hate having to go through paper 1, paper 2 etc although I realize it makes it easier for downloading...for me its easier just doing one main paper folder, one main emb folder, etc for each kit. For my freebies, they are categorized like in the 15 things you should know and so much easier for me that way.

Original Zips are put into a folder called SG Zipfiles and backed up onto DVD. Once Backed up, then the folder is emptied for the next batch :)

It seems like we all do much the same in organizing. I keep a "Completed Downloads" folder that I download to. After I unzip, which I do the same day I purchase or get freebies, I put kits in named folder of the designer I buy from. I put the zip file in a numbered folder I call "Completed Zips #?." When I have the required MBs I burn to CD or DVD and delete zip folder. I have an External Drive that I put all my scrapbooking files on.I only use it for scrapbooking.

I keep a hard copy folder for each of my sites. I keep track of all puchases and list of all things I complete for that site such as LOs made, Challenges and lessons. Today I put the lessons completed so far in my "ScrapGirls Folder". These hard copy folders help when I'm on the Message board or Forum and need to check on a kit or password or see if I have already completed an LO.

I guess these kind of "date" me, but I taught school 30 years and we learned the file folder system very well before computers made it Easier.

Old habits die hard. LOL.

January 5th

Task #5

Speed bump! – Are your SG products all unzipped and organized? Spend some time organizing your SG and digiscrapping products today.

Requirement: Post to this thread sharing your basic organizational method with us.

I unzip everything then I separate all the parts, I have a system like Ro's and many others I have seen on the boards. I do papers, ss temps, fonts, goodies (actions, styles, etc...) brushes (by designer) embellishments( buttons, tags, tabs, ribbons etc.. I have about 30 different embellishment catagories. I also use my Windows Photo Gallery to tag everything so I can type boy, pretty, pink etc and find all the related things this saves tons of time. I will go do some more organizing I have some purchases and my recent club that are sitting on my desktop all zipped up waiting patiently for me to open them. Thanks for the push LOL.

Shannon

I am getting everything backwards.I caught up with Task 5.Everything is put away.I follow some of Ro's idea but have refined it t suit me.I have a "stock cupboard" with main folders ,eg Collections,SS Tools,SS Paper,etc .Within them I subdivide egSS Tools divided into Styles/Actons/Custom Shapes etc

But the most important part of my organisaton is the tagging I do via Bridge.I can tag everything within a collection say eg papers,buttons,ribbons,tags,alphas.They are all tagged into similar collections as my "stock cupboard" folder.It took a while to set it up but once I did,wow,what a difference it made.When I need say a button I can just find the Button Bridge Collection and every button in my stash shows up.I do a backup every week so everything is secure and easily done.Task 5 finished.

I'm half way through Task 4 but I don't know if I will finish it tonight.By the time I have finished leaving comments on all the layouts in the Jan Jumpstart Gallery and answered all 110 messages (Yes 110.Just ask which fool left all her subscriptions live?)Can I still upload it when I am finished

Task #5

I always unzip products just as soon as I download them... guess you could say I just like opening presents LOL.

MY products after unzipping and drooling over are separated into categories one for elements, one papers, one templates, complete kits are transfered to a backup off PC storage holder that I can excess with my Laptop or desktop but I don't have the online anywhere version but this is OK for me... I know some people colorize and categorize but I am not that detailed.

Oh my goodness, Ang! You call this a speed bump? It's more like a sinkhole or a bottomless pit for me! I've always been extremely organized, using my PSE Organizer. But I've just moved all my supplies onto an EHD, and my Organizer no longer works. So I've got to redo the whole thing. Maybe I'll be done by the end of the month (I hope, I hope).

I usually unzip and organize everything right away, except for freebies. I have a separate zip folder for them so I usually unzip and organize them on Saturday mornings.

I keep my collections together and use shortcuts to organize into categories. I need to break my embellishments into more sub-categories.

I have way too many in one folder. I need to break up my word art also.

Here is the link to the thread for this method http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...amp;hl=shortcut

This is too funny! Sounds as if many of us had started this as part of our new year!

I too use Ro's organizational method. I subdivide embellishments and sort papers by color and only recently have started keeping the collections together again (in addition to pulling them apart.) I find that I am beginning to know what belongs to what collection but really like to sort them so that when I am feeling stuck I can just go look for inspiration in my folders :)

I like keeping my collections together too. I have them filed by the designer. Then within each collection, I have a separate folders for the paper, embellishments, word art, and alphas. For the freebies, I have folders for embellishments (which are then subdivided for flowers, ribbons & lace, tags, etc.), papers (subdivided by color), alphas, word art, brushes, and frames. I have a separate file for scrap simple items as well. It may sound confusing but it works for me and I unzip and put everything away right after I buy it so I don't have a back log.

I usually cannot wait to unzip everything so the only thing I needed to catch up on were the freebies. I keep everything together by collection. My freebies go into one folder with subfolders for each designer. I probably should do something to tag the files so I can see all "hearts" for example but I have not done that yet.

OK ... speedbump task number 5.

After I download all my new goodies, I unzip them into a folder called 'Not Tagged'. I keep collections together, I also keep template kits, brushes, styles etc in separate folders under 'Not Tagged'.

Then I go into Adobe Bridge and go through each folder and assign keywords to them all. Using multiple keywords for items as needed (such as green, paper, Christmas). Once a folder is now all 'tagged' I move it to it's final place on my hard drive. The main stuff is organized like this:

Digital Scrapbook -> Elements -> Kits -> Designer Initials_Name of Collection

Papers go in the main folder here and under this are sub folders for Alphas, WordArt, and Embellishments as the collection requires.

For templates, the structure is:

Digital Scrapbook -> Elements -> Templates

Follwed by Paper Templates, Layout Templates, Embellishment Templates and then the folder for Designer Initials_Template Name. For Layout templates I only upzip the .psd files if they're available.

For freebies, I follow a folder scheme similar to Ro's if I don't own the collection it is related to. If I own the collection the freebie is related to, I put it in that collections folder.

For my brushes and styles, they go into a folder structure such as this:

My Documents ->Adobe -> Brushes ->Grunge (for a grunge type brush) -> Designer Initials_name of brush set.

I then go into Photoshop and pull up the grunge.abr brush set and add the new grunge brushes to that so that they are all included when I'm looking for a grunge brush.

I specifically keep the Brushes, styles etc in the My Docs folder so that they're quickly and easily backed up to Mozy and I don't have to go digging around in my Program files for those types of things.

I will be unpacking my latest goodies as soon as Mozy is done backing up all my 'before Christmas' purchases.

Denise

Yay! I'm ahead on this one! I organize like Ro says to, with the exception of the papers. I am so afraid to split my papers up! BUT I did spend some time last night organizing all my freebie papers into colors and I must say I really like looking at all those blue papers, brown papers, red papers. I think in some ways this will help a bit and I can see myself splitting everthing up now.

I also keep my alpha's in their folders with the full set PNG files as well as sort the word art the same way.

I have also cleaned up all my "other" scrapbook supplies and filed them in "Not ScrapGirls" folders since I rarely scrap with them anyway. I still only have 1 paper clip though!

Task #5 SPEED BUMP

Like several of you have mentioned, I also cannot wait to unzip all of my new goodies. Once an item is unzipped, I place them in the appropriate category. If there is a subdivision, then when time permits, I divide to the objects the final time.

I use my pictures to store my items and back-up regularly to a few DVDs and place one in the fire proof safe and the other for ready use.

These are my folders and sub-folders

letters and numbers -- no subfolders

backgrounds -- subfolders for color, seasons & holidays, sports, textures, individual colors, nature, and multi colors

buttons, clips, and fasteners - there will be subfolders once I decide how I wish to subdivide

copyrights

frames_corners -- windows, and others

Embellishments-- No subfolders, but am learning how I want the embellishments subdivided

PDF -- PDFs, tutorials, and extra learning items

journaling, tabs, tags - no subfolders

templates -- no subfolders

ribbons, borders, frillss -- no subfolders, yet

words and phrases -- no subfolders, am beginning think of how I would like it

Collections- a fast guide to what I have

Thanks for all of your ideas. The ideas are helping me to become more organized.

Archived