Adobe Bridge Or Picassa?

Guest heartofwisdom

Guest heartofwisdom
I'm organizing photos and scrapbook stuff. I've played with the tags in Adobe Bridge but I see a lot of recomendations for Picassa.

Any advice?

Thanks.

I don't know that I can help much... I have messed with both and don't like either that well. I have several programs so when I use Photoshop I find I have to use Bridge to see .psd files. Picasa is great because you can see inside of folders without oprning them, but I can never find how the files are organized so I end up just browsing in XP and opening up a million folders. (I can't remember if Picasa can preview .psd - I don't have it here on my laptop so I can't ook it up right now) I love Microsoft's Digital Image Library, and it is the easiest to use and to tag things, but won't show .psd files either. I use that to manage my photographs, but my files, and my scrapbook stuff are still in various stages of organization. I guess I will have to use Bridge. Picasa is free though to try it and see if it is something that clicks with you. Some progams work better for some people.

Guest darklighter
Hi,

I have used Picassa and not the other. But picassa is pretty nice overall, I like how easy it is to browse and how it will take you straight to the directory and file when you select one. I love the labels, but wish you could do sub folders with labels as it gets hard with all the labels at one level. Also, I hate the fact that it just lists the directory name and not the path so if I have a lot of things with similar names I have trouble. One last pet peeve is that the marking which directories have changed doesn't always work correctly for me and that can be very frustrating.

Guest 21irene
I love Picasa have not tried the other one. I have tried Photoshop Elements. For organization I much prefer Picasa. Picasa will do mild editing also. I like the print feature selection's on Picasa. Plus it's free. I also like Picaboo.

I tend to use both. Picasa doesn't display PNG files worth a hoot though. What I usually do is once I have decided on a kit to use I open that folder in Adobe Bridge and I use Picasa to browse for picture files or other things while I'm scrapping. Picasa is also supposed to display PSD files, but it isn't working for me - and I have it checked in the options. I also like to use Picasa for quick photo cropping or some quick special effects. I really, really like how easy it is to straighten a picture with it.

• 5 months later...
[quote name='clepatb' post='38222' date='Mar 28 2006, 10:29 PM']I tend to use both. Picasa doesn't display PNG files worth a hoot though. What I usually do is once I have decided on a kit to use I open that folder in Adobe Bridge and I use Picasa to browse for picture files or other things while I'm scrapping. Picasa is also supposed to display PSD files, but it isn't working for me - and I have it checked in the options. I also like to use Picasa for quick photo cropping or some quick special effects. I really, really like how easy it is to straighten a picture with it.[/quote]

Picasa will display psd files if you have "Maximize Compatibility" checked in Photoshop.

Guest gauchogirl
I use and love both.
I like Picassa for the ability to sort folders by the last time something was changed in them. That way the current stuff is always on top and easy to find. Also love it's quick photo edit capabilities, especially when you often take a thousand photos in a week. I only do serious Photoshop corrections on the ones I'm using professionally and use Picassa for everything else - like pics I share with family.
Love Bridge because it works so well with Adobe products. I also use ThumbsPlus and love it. It's good for seeing everything in a folder, AND it's child folders in one glance, not having to select anything else. It's quite an assortment but I use each one daily for specific things and can't imagine losing any of them.

Guest bellagirl
I guess this is a dumb question but I don`t understand why you would need another program to sort photos etc.and organize supplies. I looked up both programs and it seems that PSE4 will do the same thing. Well, maybe not, but at least close enough. I store all my photos in the elements organizer until I`ve used the ones I want then I send them to an external HD. I make a folder for each group of pictures and name that folder and date it. Then I back it up again. I organize all my supplies the same way. I organize them first by the month they were downloaded, then make sub folders for the papers, embellishments etc. or however I want them separated and back them up twice along with all the zips. I try to do this every month so it doesn`t get away from me. I`m taking the brush class and have kept all the downloads in a folder and backed it up once and when I`m finished I will back it up again and remove it from my laptop. This way I can keep my laptop running smoothly. This may sound time consuming but it is worth it when you`re paying for it. I think I would get confused trying to keep up with too many programs. LOL,

Archived