"unknown Or Invalid Jpeg Marker Type Is Found" Huh?

glassbird

I think I am losing my mind! I have put hundreds of hours (and I am not kidding here) into taking my mothers oral family stories and putting them into written form, and now into digital scrapbook form with pictures that I have collected over several years from family far and wide. The end result is 60 12 x 12 pages, done in PS 7.0, at 300 dpi. They are all saved just fine as PSD, layered files. I am now at the exciting point of making the final tweaks, flattening them, saving them as JPEGs (with the word "flat" added at the end of the original PSD name so that I can tell them apart faster) and then uploading them to Shutterfly to eventually enable my mother and her family to see the results, and order their books. About 30 layouts have uploaded and are being breathlessly (and tearfully) previewed by my Mom. Its a long awaited dream.

BUT! So far, three layouts, not apparently different from the other thirty, are flat out refusing to be saved as "use-able", or even visible jpegs. The thumbnails under the "thumbnail view" just have the standard image of a piece of paper with a sunset/sailboat image on it, and if I try to open them I get "Could not open (path and name of file) because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found". What the heck?

I have gone around and around. I have tried saving with different names. I have tried flattening, saving as a PSD, and THEN saving that version as a JPEG. No go. I can see no difference between these layouts and the others that saved with no problems at all. They are no bigger or smaller, and they have nothing in common with each other that the successful layouts do/do not have. I have turned my PC off, and then restarted it...and tried it all again. Nothing. Just little images of a sailboat at sunset, and "could not open". :banghead:

Here is the even more frustrating part...one of the layered PSD images was accidentally sent to the Recycle Bin. Eventually I realized it was missing and found it, and restored it. And then it allowed me to flatten, rename, and save it as a JPEG! THAT one worked! (Maybe its visit to the Recycle Bin scared it into behaving?)

Holy Moly. As I typed that last sentence, I decided to (out of complete desperation) send one of the other misbehaving layouts to the Recycle Bin. I counted to 10, and then restored it. I tried flattening it and saving it as a JPEG...and it WORKED! Hold on...I am going to try the third...and the third did NOT work! Recycled, restored, flattened, saved as a JPEG...sailboat icon that won't open.

What is going on? What am I doing wrong? Please help me!

Cathy T.

I think I am losing my mind! I have put hundreds of hours (and I am not kidding here) into taking my mothers oral family stories and putting them into written form, and now into digital scrapbook form with pictures that I have collected over several years from family far and wide. The end result is 60 12 x 12 pages, done in PS 7.0, at 300 dpi. They are all saved just fine as PSD, layered files. I am now at the exciting point of making the final tweaks, flattening them, saving them as JPEGs (with the word "flat" added at the end of the original PSD name so that I can tell them apart faster) and then uploading them to Shutterfly to eventually enable my mother and her family to see the results, and order their books. About 30 layouts have uploaded and are being breathlessly (and tearfully) previewed by my Mom. Its a long awaited dream.

BUT! So far, three layouts, not apparently different from the other thirty, are flat out refusing to be saved as "use-able", or even visible jpegs. The thumbnails under the "thumbnail view" just have the standard image of a piece of paper with a sunset/sailboat image on it, and if I try to open them I get "Could not open (path and name of file) because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found". What the heck?

I have gone around and around. I have tried saving with different names. I have tried flattening, saving as a PSD, and THEN saving that version as a JPEG. No go. I can see no difference between these layouts and the others that saved with no problems at all. They are no bigger or smaller, and they have nothing in common with each other that the successful layouts do/do not have. I have turned my PC off, and then restarted it...and tried it all again. Nothing. Just little images of a sailboat at sunset, and "could not open". :banghead:

Here is the even more frustrating part...one of the layered PSD images was accidentally sent to the Recycle Bin. Eventually I realized it was missing and found it, and restored it. And then it allowed me to flatten, rename, and save it as a JPEG! THAT one worked! (Maybe its visit to the Recycle Bin scared it into behaving?)

Holy Moly. As I typed that last sentence, I decided to (out of complete desperation) send one of the other misbehaving layouts to the Recycle Bin. I counted to 10, and then restored it. I tried flattening it and saving it as a JPEG...and it WORKED! Hold on...I am going to try the third...and the third did NOT work! Recycled, restored, flattened, saved as a JPEG...sailboat icon that won't open.

What is going on? What am I doing wrong? Please help me!

Cathy T.

Hi Cathy,

You don't have to flatten the PSD then save it at a JPEG. You can just "Save As" and select JPEG as your format. This will keep your original PSD intact and give you a copy in JPEG. Make sure you use "SAVE AS" and not just "SAVE."

HTH!

Jennifer

Auuughhh! No! It was certainly faster (and it changed the name so that it had the word "copy" at the end...that differentiates it the same way "flat" did, so I like it!) but it still gives me a sailboat thumbnail...and wont open!

A new thing learned, but still have the problem...

(Thanks!)

CT

Why not try SAVE AS...then rename the PSD as something new...save it as a PSD still...then close everything and open the renamed PSD, then SAVE AS, then JPeg. Who knows why it's being so difficult! I agree with PP...no need to flatten your PSD...I usually work on an 8x16 file so that I end up with 2 8x8 LOs when I'm done. I save the PSD (like "LO 1"), then crop one side and save as .jpeg (named "LO 1 L") and then crop the other side and save as .jpeg ("LO 1 R") for the right and left side of the LO. In the end I have my original PSD file in case I made a mistake and want to make changes, plus my 2 .jpeg LOs for printing, uploading, etc.

HTH...and good luck!

Christina

Thanks Christina! I tried that too, with NO luck! I also tried flattening the PSD, select all, copy, new file, paste, flatten, save as PSD under a new name...nothing. Tried all that but saved as a jpeg...nothing. My next step is to save the journaling, and try a plain white background with just text. If that works, I might add back one element at a time, see where it "sticks". I might even just start with a blank "sheet", save with the name...see if its the name and not the contents? I am so confused...

here goes...

CT

i have had this happen once in awhile too.... i asked my I.T. guy and he cant figure it out either...maybe some little thing is wierdly attached to one of the layers, like a mini virus.... but i think what i have done is rename the lo and save it to my desktop.... maybe you tried that...but i read that you put them in the recycle bin and then restored...and that worked...how wierd...wish that we can figure this one out... i also have one file in my recycle bin that i could never delete when i tried to empty my recycle bin....

good luck...it does sound like you went around the problem and got it all done.... and your book will be such a beauty

OK, this is weird. I started with a blank canvas, moved just the background paper from the PSD, then saved that as a PSD with a new name...that was fine. Then saved it as a jpg. Success! Then I reopened the "new " PSD and added the pictures, saved it as a PSD with a new name, then again as a jpg...sucess! Did it again, with the embelishments...it worked! Then I added the text...saved it as a PSD, no problem, then as a jpg...FAILURE!

I tried adding the text layer from the PSD to the jpg with background, pics, and embellishments, saved that again as a jpg...failure! Why is adding the text a problem? I am going to try adding just the text first, and see if it flops...

wow...I can save a jpg with the background and JUST the text, or the background and JUST the pics...any more and failure. Then I just tried layering the jpgs with the text only and the pics only on top of each other, and then erasing the top layer to let the bottom layer show thru. I flattened that and saved it...failure.

I can only think of more ways to combine the components but I do not see a common thread. There has to be a reason for this that I am missing. I am going to take a break now, get some breakfast, think about something else.

Any thoughts from anyone will be so appreciated...

Cathy T.

Guest dawnsmemories

I had trouble with this yesterday, I flattened the image then opened a new file and dragged the entire flattened image and saved the new one. That worked for me.

Good luck!

Dawn

Sorry you are having such trouble! I have not experienced that, but for as much work as you have done, please make sure you have a backup of all those PSD files! I hope someone has an answer for you, good luck!

My only suggestion would be to put in a support ticket at Adobe or find a Photoshop forum where you can post questions. It's been a long time since I've worked in PS 7 and I don't remember having encountered this problem is PSE so I'm not much help. I sure hope you can find an answer to your problem. It sounds very frustrating.

I have nothing to add but I have been engrossed reading this post.Kudos to you Cathy for your determination.I hope you get them all sorted out because it sounds as though you have put an awesome amount of work into this and you deserve to be successful.Please post and let us know that you managed to complete your mammoth project successfully.

I really hope you figure this out. Is it possible, rather than moving the text boxes, to just cut/paste the text only into new text boxes? Maybe the glitch lies within the text boxes? It is amazing how bugs can rear their ugly heads. I'd definitely get a hold of adobe and send the psd to them to try to patch this up for all their other customers.

If it is the text that is the source of the problem could you duplicated you text layer, simplify the duplicate, (hide the original - don't delete it) then save your psd. Then delete the original text, Save As jpg and then undelete the text on your psd. Gosh, I hope that made sense! LOL I just hate deleting text in case I later find a spelling error, which is why I suggested the duplicate layer.

I am so befuddled...but the good news is that I have finally created a JPG version of the last stubborn page of the original three that went bad!! I tried saving the original psd to my desktop and opening it from there and then making a jpg copy...nope. Then I tried flattening and dragging the whole thing to a blank canvas...nope. Then I tried dragging the text, pics, and embellishments all onto a different background...and that worked! I was so relieved! So I tried moving all that stuff onto a fresh version of the background that I used originally...FAIL!

If I had any energy left, I would try simplifying the text (and/or cutting and pasting into new boxes) and then dragging that to a new version of the original background...but at this point I am so relieved to have a jpg version of that page that I can't go on!

Ladies, I can't thank you all enough. I know I did not fix the problem, but I got around it sufficiently to move on! (I have 30 more pages, so it may pop up again!) And the moral support means SO much!

When the whole book is done, I will post a link here to the end result on Shutterfly for those of you who might be interested.

Thank you!

Cathy T.

Cathy,

If it worked with a different background paper and not the original then somehow maybe the original paper became corrupted? or something happened to it? Either way, I'm glad you were able to find a different background that works. If it does crop up again....try it with a different background and see how that works. This is a good tip to keep in mind. I hope it DOES NOT crop up again for you.

I am so befuddled...but the good news is that I have finally created a JPG version of the last stubborn page of the original three that went bad!! I tried saving the original psd to my desktop and opening it from there and then making a jpg copy...nope. Then I tried flattening and dragging the whole thing to a blank canvas...nope. Then I tried dragging the text, pics, and embellishments all onto a different background...and that worked! I was so relieved! So I tried moving all that stuff onto a fresh version of the background that I used originally...FAIL!

If I had any energy left, I would try simplifying the text (and/or cutting and pasting into new boxes) and then dragging that to a new version of the original background...but at this point I am so relieved to have a jpg version of that page that I can't go on!

Ladies, I can't thank you all enough. I know I did not fix the problem, but I got around it sufficiently to move on! (I have 30 more pages, so it may pop up again!) And the moral support means SO much!

When the whole book is done, I will post a link here to the end result on Shutterfly for those of you who might be interested.

Thank you!

Cathy T.

YAY! I'm SO glad it worked for you! It sounds like your mom must be very special to you and she will really appreciate this!

i think vaughne may be right and that paper is corrupted/..... if you want to use it and you got it at sg maybe angela can resend a download...see if that works and if it does then i think it was a corrupted jpg for the backround paper..... these are the modern age mysteries that we love to solve...LOOL

Guess who pushed her luck a little too far?

Yup! I got greedy! I was so relieved that the misbehaving layout finally went into a jpg version that I decided to change one of the pics on the PSD version for a better one, figuring that I could just do that and then save it as a jpeg with the same name, since it worked last time and the pictures never seemed to be part of the problem anyway. Uh huh....FAIL! And I also managed to delete the first (successful) jpeg by using the same name, too!

Right back to square one, with a heaping dose of "how can I be so STUPID!". And I was even treated to a new reason as to why this was happening...the same wording as before except for the last few words..."because of a problem parsing the JPEG data". I only saw that explanation once, so I don't know if its helpful at all.

Now I have lost track of all the variations that I tried, but I did eventually come up with another jpeg version. It has the second background, and simplified text, and thats about all I know except that it has the better picture and I am never, ever, going to touch it again.

Deep Breath. Continue On.

Cathy T.

TheFamilyStories32simplifiedtextnew.jpg

(the background paper is KVE LaVieRose Paper Green)

I've been following your painful saga and unfortunately I have no words of wisdom for you. :( I can imagine how frustrating this is....have you tried contacting Adobe for help?

One thought though........while you work on this project you could download a trial version of Photo Shop Elements and use it for the 30 days. That would, hopefully, give you a bit of a break from the frustration.

I had this happen a few times to me. In my case, it was always because I had created a file that was too large for my computer's RAM to handle. One time I had created a double layout in one file. I split it in half and got around it. Another time, I created a new file and moved my layers over there. Because I had run a bunch of filters on things, that memory didn't move over and I was then able to save the file.

I'd imagine that it happens for other reasons, as well.

Hope you get it working!

I'm wondering....two things. Could be you need to upgrade your RAM and the other is what program are you using that is causing this. I have not ever heard of any program causing a problem with Jpegs in the past and this is kinda surprising for me to see. I would go with what Janine suggested to do the free trial and see if that can get around this....totally befuddling to be sure!

Thank you!

Cathy T.

That is great to hear you have certainly given it your all

Guess who pushed her luck a little too far?

Yup! I got greedy! I was so relieved that the misbehaving layout finally went into a jpg version that I decided to change one of the pics on the PSD version for a better one, figuring that I could just do that and then save it as a jpeg with the same name, since it worked last time and the pictures never seemed to be part of the problem anyway. Uh huh....FAIL! And I also managed to delete the first (successful) jpeg by using the same name, too!

Right back to square one, with a heaping dose of "how can I be so STUPID!". And I was even treated to a new reason as to why this was happening...the same wording as before except for the last few words..."because of a problem parsing the JPEG data". I only saw that explanation once, so I don't know if its helpful at all.

Now I have lost track of all the variations that I tried, but I did eventually come up with another jpeg version. It has the second background, and simplified text, and thats about all I know except that it has the better picture and I am never, ever, going to touch it again.

Deep Breath. Continue On.

Cathy T.

TheFamilyStories32simplifiedtextnew.jpg

(the background paper is KVE LaVieRose Paper Green)

Oh no I answered to soon.What a saga.I hope,for your sake,that you are soon finished with this problem.The page looks great by the way

One of the first things that I did when I realized something was going on was to compare all three of the original misbehaving layouts to the other thirty that flattened and saved as jpgs on the first try. Size was compared, but none were any larger or smaller than the ones that "did as they were told". One had a stitching action added around one picture (the last one that finally worked), another had a style added to a paper, but the third had nothing but text, a picture, and a frame. No styles at all. I could not find anything common in all three, different fonts, created at different times over the last 6 months, etc.

I had not considered the RAM on my PC...but I do know that it is at its maximum. I upgraded about 2 years ago and DELLs customer service helped me figure out the max that I could put in. I am using Photoshop 7.0, and have been using it for several years on this computer. (I am currently yearning for a DELL laptop and any version of CS...but can't really justify the expense with a perfectly functional desktop chugging along.) I have thought about trying Elements, but I am pretty happy with PS 7.0. At this point, I just want to get to the end of this project! I have let my own scrapping slide, and would like to move on!

I am about to begin again the tweaking, saving, and uploading of the remaining pages. I had to take a day off to recover!

I am wondering if I can do the rest of these with my fingers crossed...do you think that has any technical value?

Cathy T.

Cathy,

When was the last time your computer did a defrag and scandisk? Sometimes I think we forget that our computers like our bodies need weekly maintenance or daily even and maybe doing those two things (depending on when you did it the last time will be how long it will take to do it) might be what needs to be done. I do know that when its done, the computer runs faster.

I am wondering if I can do the rest of these with my fingers crossed...do you think that has any technical value?

Cathy T.

:roll-on-floor-laughing: I sure hope you figure this out! You've received some good suggestions! Can't wait to see your link to the book on Shutterfly!

Archived