"unknown Or Invalid Jpeg Marker Type Is Found" Huh?

glassbird

Ah, the saga continues...

I spent some time online and googled the phrase "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type is found", and there was good news and bad news! The good news is that MANY other people have run into the same problem (with much more disasterous consequences) (not that that is "good"). It's just nice to know that I am not alone. The bad news is that NO ONE has any solid idea as to what the heck it means! Lots of "work arounds" that may or may not work, thats about it!

So I found a "work around"...J9Buckles suggested downloading Elements to at least let me continue working on this project. I am really comfortable with PS 7.0 but I had to find a "work around", so I downloaded the 30 day trial. I have been tweaking my layouts in 7.0, then saving them, reopening them in Elements and "Saving As" jpegs. No problem at all.

I have uploaded 8 more pages, and have 4 more that just need to be saved in Elements tomorrow and uploaded. I think I have 8 more to tweak, and the title page.

My mom was previewing the latest version on Shutterfly yesterday when one of her neighbors came by. This neighbor is Mormon and teaches genealogy somewhere in the area, so she and my mom have alot to talk about anyway. But on this visit, my mom couldn't help but crow a little about the book that I am making, and the neighbor sat down to preview it! Page by page! She was "thoroughly impressed" according to my mom, and had not seen anyone combine genealogy with photos and scrapbooking quite like this! (I think it was the digital aspect that wowed her.)

I do enjoy the occaisional pat on the back!

Cathy T.

• 3 months later...
I think I am losing my mind! I have put hundreds of hours (and I am not kidding here) into taking my mothers oral family stories and putting them into written form, and now into digital scrapbook form with pictures that I have collected over several years from family far and wide. The end result is 60 12 x 12 pages, done in PS 7.0, at 300 dpi. They are all saved just fine as PSD, layered files. I am now at the exciting point of making the final tweaks, flattening them, saving them as JPEGs (with the word "flat" added at the end of the original PSD name so that I can tell them apart faster) and then uploading them to Shutterfly to eventually enable my mother and her family to see the results, and order their books. About 30 layouts have uploaded and are being breathlessly (and tearfully) previewed by my Mom. Its a long awaited dream.

BUT! So far, three layouts, not apparently different from the other thirty, are flat out refusing to be saved as "use-able", or even visible jpegs. The thumbnails under the "thumbnail view" just have the standard image of a piece of paper with a sunset/sailboat image on it, and if I try to open them I get "Could not open (path and name of file) because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found". What the heck?

I have gone around and around. I have tried saving with different names. I have tried flattening, saving as a PSD, and THEN saving that version as a JPEG. No go. I can see no difference between these layouts and the others that saved with no problems at all. They are no bigger or smaller, and they have nothing in common with each other that the successful layouts do/do not have. I have turned my PC off, and then restarted it...and tried it all again. Nothing. Just little images of a sailboat at sunset, and "could not open". :banghead:

Here is the even more frustrating part...one of the layered PSD images was accidentally sent to the Recycle Bin. Eventually I realized it was missing and found it, and restored it. And then it allowed me to flatten, rename, and save it as a JPEG! THAT one worked! (Maybe its visit to the Recycle Bin scared it into behaving?)

Holy Moly. As I typed that last sentence, I decided to (out of complete desperation) send one of the other misbehaving layouts to the Recycle Bin. I counted to 10, and then restored it. I tried flattening it and saving it as a JPEG...and it WORKED! Hold on...I am going to try the third...and the third did NOT work! Recycled, restored, flattened, saved as a JPEG...sailboat icon that won't open.

What is going on? What am I doing wrong? Please help me!

Cathy T.

Cathy, I'm afraid that this is a known problem with PS7. I've found two ways round it to get a "good" Jpeg. The first one is to get your PSD as you want it, and then DON't flatten. Click "Save as" JPEG. It will tell you "must be saved as a copy with this selection". It then gives you "JPEG Options" Make sure that the "Preview" box is unchecked, and save as "baseline". I've learnt to do this with all JPGs from PS7, and yes, it does work. The other way is to create all the images as PSDs or TIFFs and use something like Irfanview (free) to convert the lot to JPG. I've attached pix of the dialogue boxes.

HTH

proseak

It's sort of bizarre that a new response was made to this thread today...because just YESTERDAY I started having problems with this issue AGAIN! Proseak is a psychic!

Thanks for the input. I know that I have been "saving as a JPG" (which is an option that I learned directly as a result of this thread), but I do not know if the preview button was checked or unchecked. I will have to look into that when I get home...I am on a computer at work right now. I do believe the baseline option was being used.

I am still working on the book, daily. I keep thinking that it is done, and then a cousin will pop up with a correction! Soon, yes, soon!

When this issue raised its ugly little head again yesterday, I could not fix it this time by opening the PSD layouts in the trial version of Elements that I used last time because the trial had ended. But I did some heavy thinking, and realised that I just needed to find some other way to open the images and then save them as JPEGs in something other than Photoshop 7.0....and I started wondering if the Windows Picture Viewer could do it....

So I flattened the latest misbehaving PSD, saved it as a TIFF on my desktop (just to make it easier to find), and then right clicked on it and selected "preview". Picture Viewer brought it up, and I then hit the little blue "floppy" icon at the bottom ("copy to"). I selected JPEG and saved it to the desktop again, and then moved it into its correct spot in my filing system on my computer. A thumbnail version DID appear there...no little sailboat heading into the sunset...so with great trepidation I opened it...and YES!!!

I did this with 2 other misbehaving layouts, and bing, bang, boom, all worked. So I still don't know what the heck the problem is (or was) but at least I can get around it. And there was no screaming or wailing this time! :banana:

I am planning on putting a link to the book right here in this thread when it is "done" (as if a project like this is ever truely complete), and thanks again to everyone for the help and moral support!

Cathy T.

It's sort of bizarre that a new response was made to this thread today...because just YESTERDAY I started having problems with this issue AGAIN! Proseak is a psychic!

Thanks for the input. I know that I have been "saving as a JPG" (which is an option that I learned directly as a result of this thread), but I do not know if the preview button was checked or unchecked. I will have to look into that when I get home...I am on a computer at work right now. I do believe the baseline option was being used.

I am still working on the book, daily. I keep thinking that it is done, and then a cousin will pop up with a correction! Soon, yes, soon!

When this issue raised its ugly little head again yesterday, I could not fix it this time by opening the PSD layouts in the trial version of Elements that I used last time because the trial had ended. But I did some heavy thinking, and realised that I just needed to find some other way to open the images and then save them as JPEGs in something other than Photoshop 7.0....and I started wondering if the Windows Picture Viewer could do it....

So I flattened the latest misbehaving PSD, saved it as a TIFF on my desktop (just to make it easier to find), and then right clicked on it and selected "preview". Picture Viewer brought it up, and I then hit the little blue "floppy" icon at the bottom ("copy to"). I selected JPEG and saved it to the desktop again, and then moved it into its correct spot in my filing system on my computer. A thumbnail version DID appear there...no little sailboat heading into the sunset...so with great trepidation I opened it...and YES!!!

I did this with 2 other misbehaving layouts, and bing, bang, boom, all worked. So I still don't know what the heck the problem is (or was) but at least I can get around it. And there was no screaming or wailing this time! :banana:

I am planning on putting a link to the book right here in this thread when it is "done" (as if a project like this is ever truely complete), and thanks again to everyone for the help and moral support!

Cathy T.

"Proseak is a psychic!" - second time I've had this today - I gave a movie to a friend earlier who had been talking to her sister about the same movie not 5 minutes earler; that disc will be in Paris next week, I'm sure...

back to Jpegs! the trick is to save "as a copy" or "save as" and check the "copy" box. And yes, uncheck the "preview" box. I learnt this the hard way! I lost 3 months of Rita's(the movie lady) work and had to rescan the lot. She did forgive me, though. Eventually.

i look forward to seeing your project, when you're ready. I think that you've started something here... a family tradition is born!

P.

Archived