25 replies to this topic

#1 kidsrgr8

kidsrgr8

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

I haven't read any books for fun in over FIVE YEARS! After hearing so much about the Twilight book series and also seeing it on this message board, I decided to get it. Well, I read all 4 books in ONE WEEK.

But, now what???? I am so sad. I miss it. Am I crazy?????

I leave Sunday for vacation and would love some book recommendations. Is there anything else out there like Twilight? I was so surprised that I like it that much.

Thanks guys!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 TracEy

TracEy

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

I am on book 3. I got sucked in too. Don't feel bad.
Scrapgirls "Where Friendships Are Made"

I use PSE8 & CS3 on my iMac...."My Gallery"

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 AngRoCamp

AngRoCamp

Queen of the Late Night Layouts

• Design Team
  • 10,847 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

Stephenie Myers' other book "The Host" isn't anything like Twilight, but I thought it was a really cool book! Twisted story. Kept me intrigued in much the same way Twilight did :)

#4 Becca

Becca

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

ROFL! Can I be honest? I have yet to pick up another book since I finished the Twilight series. You almost know that it's going to be difficult to find another story as good.

My mom just bought "The Host", though. So maybe the next time I see her, I'll snatch that one. I kinda like "twisted".

#5 Shelbi

Shelbi

Grumpy Lumpy Scrapping Junkie

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

I have thought about getting the host.

I am trying to get through the latest wicked book, a Lion among men. But sadly there is no Edward to keep me entertained. LOL.

#6 Reyn

Reyn

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

I was sucked in too. I read all 4 books in 4 days. I haven't read anything since then. I just want that series to continue on. I am interested to see what everyone else is reading. I need a few good suggestions.
Posted Image

I scrap with PSE 5 & Vista. Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Becca

Becca

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

I am trying to get through the latest wicked book, a Lion among men. But sadly there is no Edward to keep me entertained. LOL.

Shelbi,

Anyone who manages to get through any of those Wicked books has my admiration. Seriously, I could not get through even the first one - it put me instantly to sleep, every day, no matter what time I tried to read it. I gave it almost 2 months to get through it, and I only ever made it half-way. It's the only book/series that's ever "beat" me. I have it sitting in the closet, maybe I'll try it again in a few months.

#8 scrappylibrarian

scrappylibrarian

What are YOU reading today?

• Members
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

I say definitely try The Host. When I started it I wasn't sure I would finish, it starts slow. But I really ended up getting wrapped up in the characters.

Are you wanting something specifically in the "Twilight" type genre or just anything good?
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Shelbi

Shelbi

Grumpy Lumpy Scrapping Junkie

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

Shelbi,

Anyone who manages to get through any of those Wicked books has my admiration. Seriously, I could not get through even the first one - it put me instantly to sleep, every day, no matter what time I tried to read it. I gave it almost 2 months to get through it, and I only ever made it half-way. It's the only book/series that's ever "beat" me. I have it sitting in the closet, maybe I'll try it again in a few months.

Really???!?!?!?
I loved wicked!!! The book that is.
AND Son of a Witch
and confessions of an ugly step-sister
and Mirror Mirror

#10 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,875 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

I "read" The Host well, I didn't read it, Annette bought the book on CD. It does start slow, but I was a captive audience- driving my girls to Utah last August. By the return drive it was much more interesting. And it was Just about that long! :D

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#11 JoannB

JoannB

It's a great day to Scrap!

• Members
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

I loved "The Host" -- it's just an excellent book, all around. I love Stephenie Meyers. I'm addicted to Twilight. Psst..... if you really want a crazy teaser, that may or may not become a real book -- go to Stephenie Meyer's Website, and look under "Twilight" - and there is a section for a book that is partially finished called "Midnight Sun" -- "Twilight" from Edwards perspective. It's just fabulous. Apparently, someone "leaked" the book onto the Internet, and she was absolutely livid about it -- so may or may not finish it, but it's there to read. About 250 pages or so, and I love it. I really hope she finishes the book, because it's amazing. It gives you a whole new perspective of Edward.

I read the first three books in 3 days... and when the 4th one came out, it took me... oh, a day to finish. I really wanted to draw it out a bit, but I couldn't.

I've been looking for another series that will draw me in like that, and I just haven't found one. I read a lot of different series that I've really enjoyed, but "Twilight" is one of a kind. I'm still looking, though. :)
check out My Gallery

#12 HeidiD

HeidiD

Jai guru deva... om.

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

Try Diana Gabaldon's series - starts with "Outlander". A bit more adult than Twilight, and the Edward's name is Jamie in this series. ;)
...Heidi D...

#13 JoannB

JoannB

It's a great day to Scrap!

• Members
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

Oooohh... good suggestion, Heidi. I LOVE Diana Gabaldon! That's great advice. Oooohh... yeah.. I need to go and reread that series.
check out My Gallery

#14 JenW

JenW

Just call me Scrapalicious!

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Personal Statement:"Blessed are the children of scrapbookers, for they shall inherit the scrapbooks."

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I loved Twilight as well. It was great since I hadn't fallen in love with a good series since Harry Potter. I am still looking for something new. I tired the Host but couldn't get into it, to Si-Fi for me. After your comments I might try again. My dad and brothers have fallen in love with the Artumis Fowl Series (not sure if I spelled that right). It is a children's series much like Harry Potter. They have been raving about it for months. I am tempted to try it.

#15 Julie - scrapaholic

Julie - scrapaholic

Scrapping - Chatting Fool

• Members
  • 13,260 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

I'll have to give that one a try too, as I to am missing my Twilight series. I have been watching HBO True Blood, which is similiar to twilight books.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#16 lgsouthfla

lgsouthfla

• Members
  • 9,452 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

I watched True Blood once but didn't like it did it get better?
I love Dan Brown. His book Angels and Demons is great. I liked it better than the Da Vinci Code.
I bought Wicked but haven't read it yet.
I also bought Mr Knightly's Diary-by Amanda Grange it is the Emma story but Mr Knightly's perspective. I haven't read it yet.

#17 HeidiD

HeidiD

Jai guru deva... om.

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

Oh, good call, Linda! I just finished Edmund Bertram's Diary (Mansfield Park)! I read Mr. Darcy's Diary over the summer. Fun series! She also has Captain Wentworth's Diary (Persuasion). I'm waiting excitedly for Edward Ferrars' Diary (Sense and Sensibility) and Henry Tilney's Diary (Northanger Abbey).

It would be fun to see more "Diaries" from other characters in those books, too. :)
...Heidi D...

#18 scrappinang

scrappinang

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Isn't it amazing how a sexy, sincere vampire and a cute, cuddly werewolf can bring out the best in a person? LOL. I'm on the 3rd book and had to force myself to go to sleep at 5:45 this morning to get the girls up and ready for school. I crashed most of the day and I'm ready to finish the book. I don't really want to finish it tonight though....because I know that I would want to start on the 4th book and I haven't bought it yet.

As for other books...not sure there are many out there like Twilight. I read alot of JD Robb books...In Death series. The setting is futuristic, murder mysteries, a sexy, wealthy man involved with the lead homicide detective. Truth be told, I haven't touched the half read current book since I started the Twilight series though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 kidsrgr8

kidsrgr8

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:56 AM

I loved "The Host" -- it's just an excellent book, all around. I love Stephenie Meyers. I'm addicted to Twilight. Psst..... if you really want a crazy teaser, that may or may not become a real book -- go to Stephenie Meyer's Website, and look under "Twilight" - and there is a section for a book that is partially finished called "Midnight Sun" -- "Twilight" from Edwards perspective. It's just fabulous. Apparently, someone "leaked" the book onto the Internet, and she was absolutely livid about it -- so may or may not finish it, but it's there to read. About 250 pages or so, and I love it. I really hope she finishes the book, because it's amazing. It gives you a whole new perspective of Edward.

I read the first three books in 3 days... and when the 4th one came out, it took me... oh, a day to finish. I really wanted to draw it out a bit, but I couldn't.

I've been looking for another series that will draw me in like that, and I just haven't found one. I read a lot of different series that I've really enjoyed, but "Twilight" is one of a kind. I'm still looking, though. :)

Yes, in my "googling" to fill my Twilight addiction I did find a Midnight Sun chapter but it was only 20 pages. Is that the one you are talking about?
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 kidsrgr8

kidsrgr8

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

Try Diana Gabaldon's series - starts with "Outlander". A bit more adult than Twilight, and the Edward's name is Jamie in this series. ;)

Thanks Heidi! I bought it today! Thanks for helping me though this "difficult" time. hee hee!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 kidsrgr8

kidsrgr8

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

Any of you guys on Facebook? I just joined this group:

"Because I read Twilight I have unrealistic expectations in Men"

ROFL!!!!!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Becca

Becca

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

Psst..... if you really want a crazy teaser, that may or may not become a real book -- go to Stephenie Meyer's Website, and look under "Twilight" - and there is a section for a book that is partially finished called "Midnight Sun" -- "Twilight" from Edwards perspective. It's just fabulous. Apparently, someone "leaked" the book onto the Internet, and she was absolutely livid about it -- so may or may not finish it, but it's there to read. About 250 pages or so, and I love it. I really hope she finishes the book, because it's amazing. It gives you a whole new perspective of Edward.

I haven't been able to bring myself to read this. I want to on one hand, but on the other, I want to wait till it comes out. I've had other Twilight friends say "you just have to read it", but I'm stubborn, I guess.

#23 Becca

Becca

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

ROFL! I'm writing this on a post-it, DH is asking me what's that. When he sees the thread I'm browsing, he says "Oh, great. How many books are in this series?" I can just hear him thinking "the wife's gonna disappear again..."

#24 scrappinang

scrappinang

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:14 AM

Okay....so I just started the 4th and "final" book in the Twilight series and I can't stop reading!!!!! I can't believe what's going on! My mind is going a mile a minute and I keep having what I think are delusions about the storyline! If my assumptions are correct, this took me by complete and total surpise! I think I might have a sleepless night just to finish reading the book...and I'm only on page 130-something!

Sorry. I had to rant. DH is sleeping and I didn't know what else to do! Okay....back to reading again.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 HeidiD

HeidiD

Jai guru deva... om.

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:51 AM

LOL! Stay up.... the rest of us did! ;)
...Heidi D...

#26 scrappinang

scrappinang

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

Okay...I'm a slow reader but I'm half done with the book. It's awesome! It didn't travel the path I thought it was going to in the beginning of this book...when I freaked out about 12 hours ago....but it's turning out to be awesome in its own rite. I'm almost to the end of the Book of Jacob....can't wait to see what happens!
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users