New Scanner

SandiC.

Since I've become obsessed with digital scrapbooking, photography, photoshop, etc. I've figured out that my old HP all-in-one just isn't meeting my needs anymore. Over the last few months I've been upgrading my equipment. I am not yet willing to spend the bucks for the very best, super high grade, top of the line of anything yet, but I do want good equipment. So replacing my scanner was next on my list. I have lots of old 35mm slides and negatives, and a ton old prints I'd love to digitize. So I had to choose a scanner to meet my needs yet not cost the moon. I finally decided on the Epson V500. I think it will be just right for my needs for a reasonable price. I just put the order in and I'm really looking forward to getting it to see if it lives up to my expectations. I'll let you know when I get it.

I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of this. We were pretty excited when DH got our current scanner, but it's just not making the grade for what I need it to do now. And like you, I have a ton of old negatives and slides that I'm becoming very concerned about digitizing. Let us know!

Ah, interesting, Sandi. My old HP scanner just refused to work with my new Mac and after looking into finding new drivers, I found there were problems associated with this scanner and the Mac. So, I just bought a new scanner as well.

When I purchased my Mac at Best Buy, they enrolled me in the Rewards Club and I had $90 in reward coupons to use by 1/3/2009. Well, after reading some threads on the mb, Ro mentioned the Epson V350. Best Buy had the Epson V300 for $94.99. Being a member of the Platinum Reward Club gave me free shipping. When they apply the reward certificates to the price of the purchase, they only include sales tax on the amount owed - which was $4.99.

So, for $4.99 plus 30 cents tax, I purchased my latest scanner -- TOTAL PURCHASE PRICE OF $5.29!!!! Was just delivered yesterday and I haven't even set it up. I'm sure the V500 will be awesome, Sandi. Must be several steps up from my V300 and Ro's V350. Let us know how it is.

I was just looking at that scanner at Office Depot yesterday Sandi. I'm saving my money for a laptop at the moment but I'm thinking that when I replace my scanner, I may go with that one. I'll be interested too in hearing how it works for you.

well wahoo Sandi....Been keeping my eye open for the cannon canoscan as soon as income tax returns comes LOL...keep us posted !! & Congrats on your new toy when it gets here!!!

Caren, I read a couple of reviews on the Canon CanoScan. One problem mentioned the hinge on the lid a little flimsy which may be a problem if you scan from books often, also something about speed. I looked at it too and I think that's the best in that price range that I found. Got the email that it has already been shipped and scheduled for delivery Wed. I also ordered a book about scanning negatives and slides and one about restoring old photos. I took Katherine's photo restoration class and am waiting for the advanced class coming up soon I hear. I keep finding all kinds of ways to branch out from directly digiscrapping, but it is all so closely tied together. I am getting serious about this whole endeavor. A whole new world has been opened to me.

My old epson scanner puttered out too. Look forward to hearing how you like your new one. I personally would love to get the deal Kimmy got... Gonna check that out! :)

XOXO :tinkerbell:

Just looked at scanners... does anyone have a wide format? I was hoping to get a scanner that could scan 12x12's so I could scan my DS's 12x12 paper scrapped album. Any suggestions... Looks like the largest one I see is an HP that is 8.5x14... ???

Just looked at scanners... does anyone have a wide format? I was hoping to get a scanner that could scan 12x12's so I could scan my DS's 12x12 paper scrapped album. Any suggestions... Looks like the largest one I see is an HP that is 8.5x14... ???

This is something I want to know, too. I just got one of my albums scanned and printed at Scrapbooks to Share, but would like to be able to do it myself at home.

When my old printer (a Brother MFC) pooped out on me while I was still in Los Angeles, I waited until I moved to NY and bought another Brother MFC (multi function) that only cost me $40 on sale. I really like it and I love how it scans photos and documents. The only thing is that it doesn't scan negatives. That's next on my list of things to buy along with a printer that prints 12x12, but that will have to wait awhile. In the meanwhile, I'll be using Scrapbooks to Share for printing large scrapbook pages. First on my list is flying to Los Angeles to get as much of my stuff out of storage and shipped to New York that I can. And that won't be cheap.

:dancing_penguin:

Aren't you nervous sending your scrapbook out to someone? I am scared to do this... eeek. :tinkerbell:

I was nervous about sending mine out, but I sent my original SB pages to SBtoshare on 1/31 and on 1/3 I got an email confirming its arrival and asking for confirmation on the size I wanted (since it wasn't the same size as the original). They were in the mail to me the very next day and arrived 2 days later. HTH.

I have a Canon 1220 scanner in my possession for the week (I rented it) and it is AMAZING! I can scan several hundred photos an hour! And it can scan one side or both sides. . . and it can do 300, 600, or 900 dpi. I can't afford to buy the bad boy, but it is awesome! Now, it cannot do the really thick prints or weird things, still need a flatbed for that. . .

I hope your scanner works for you. I bought one wanting to upgrade from my Epson scanner I have now as I wanted the ability to scan negatives and slides. Sadly, it never worked correctly. I think it was merely a bad cable connection that connected to the top of the scanner which turns a light on giving it the abiity to scan the negatives. I took it back to Staples and they gave me a cash credit. Instead of buying a new one, since they had a good sale, I got a new HP color printer and a HP photo frame for my money. I have set up the old Epson scanner again and it is working just fine.

Let us know how it works as I am still going to get one and according to all the reviews it is a great scanner for negatives. It has the Digital Ice technology with it which is suppose to be the latest and greatest software for negatives.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Canon 1220 scanner in my possession for the week (I rented it) and it is AMAZING! I can scan several hundred photos an hour! And it can scan one side or both sides. . . and it can do 300, 600, or 900 dpi. I can't afford to buy the bad boy, but it is awesome! Now, it cannot do the really thick prints or weird things, still need a flatbed for that. . .

I never thought of renting a scanner -- where do you go to do that?

Sandi, I'm thinking harder about a scanner (tax return's coming :) ) and I was wondering if you'd gotten your scanner, and how you're liking it?

I am in need of a new scanner myself. I was wondering about the Epson. I'd love to hear your opinion after you use it for awhile. I just bought an Epson Wide Format Printer and I am in love with it!! I am impressed with the quality of the Epson product and now this is perfect timing to see how the scanner is!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sandi -

Did you get to try out your new scanner yet? I think I am leaning toward getting a plain ol' scanner. I recently ordered top of the line, HP All-in-One due to the fact it had excellent scan resolutions and was a fantastic deal....

Got it and tried for a few days to get it to work - it printed beautifully, and scanned great, but every time I tried a second scan, my PC would freeze and I would have to uninstall/reinstall the printer. So decided not to ruin my new PC with this and sent it back.

Since I have the Epson 1400 for my photo and scrapbook printer, I have decided to keep the HP AIO 3210 for every day use and quick copies and such, but want a GREAT scanner for all of the old pictures and stuff - waiting to hear what you think... :bouncing-frog:

Thanks!

Sandi, I have that same scanner! I love it! I bought it when I decided to take on my in-law's 50th anniversary album.

I would love to tell you all more about how it works. But, truthfully, I took it straight to my friend's house (she does some assistant work for me) and I pay her to scan my photos. I didn't want or have time for the learning curve. I needed to put ALL of my time into scrapping the photos. Tammi has loved it and says it is very easy to use.

I uploaded 3 of the LOs yesterday and today to ScrapGirls. Of course the quality and resolution are difficult to see in websized images.

She has only scanned photos and memorabilia up to this point. I am taking the slides to her tomorrow. I will keep you posted!

It is a fabulous machine! The quality is superb A+++++

Archived