How To Delete Parts Of Your Picture In A Frame?

ssaarela

I'm just about ready to scream I'm so mad I can't remember how to do this!!!

I've placed my photo into a negative frame and resized it to fit the frame, but parts of the photo appear in the little holes that run along the top and bottom of the negative. I can't remember how to delete that part of my picture.

PLEASE help?!

In PSE I would CTRL+click (CMD+click in Mac) the thumbnail in the layers pallette to "direct select" it. Then I would use CTRL+SHIFT+I (CMD+SHIFT+I in Mac) to invert the selection (this gives you only the stuff outside of the selection -- marching ants around the outside of the page and the filmstrip now). Then use the eraser tool and just erase the parts you done want to see (this gives you a little flexibility to change the photo a bit if you want).

HTH.

Debbie

** I edited to take out the part about hitting delete after the marching ants...that deletes your photo in the frame too! YIKES! Just erase and your good to go!

Debbie

I've tried all of the suggestions and I know there was an easier way to do it. I can't use the rectangular marquee because the negative frame is warped, not a perfect rectangular. I've tried using the magic wand, and I can't seem to get that right either.

I'm using PSE on a mac.

Thanks for all the help ladies.

Oh, I just found the instructions I was looking for, which use the rectangular marquee tool, but I can't use that method because, like I said, the frame is warped and on an angle.

Hey there! You should be able to go over to your layer palate and highlight the layer of your photo. Then just use your eraser brush to go over the area you want erased. If that is the only layer selected (be sure to deselect auto layer selection) it should erase the picture but leave the frame as is. Make sense?

I SOOO do not have the patience to erase everything. I'd not only need to erase the little circles, but everything the negative overlays because you'll be able to see it once I move it onto the paper. I tried the little lasoo, and can't get the accuracy I need.

Some days you're just not meant to scrapbook I think, and this is one of them for me. I can't seem to remember how to do ANYTHING!! I'm just getting more frustrated and angry with everything I try to do. I've closed it down for a while, maybe the whole day. Please keep the suggestions coming though because I'm stubborn and WILL learn how to do this properly!! It seems that frames are my nemesis today as I couldn't get any of them to work for me.

I understand what you mean about not having the patience to erase it all, but I think the easiest and quickest thing you can do is select the part of your picture that you want to keep (either with the rectangular marquee or lasso) and then use a huge eraser brush to erase everything on that layer outside the selection. It's really fast.

The other thing you can do is with the lasso and/or the marquee tool, you can select large portions of your picture and them delete them without deleting anyting outside the selection area.

Have you tried this:

Activate your negative frame layer

Pick your magic wand tool,

Click inside the main photo area of your negative to select it (the part of the picture you want to keep),

then click on select>inverse,

Now activate your photo layer and

delete. This should delete all of the picture except what was in the main frame area.

HTH, but if it doesn't, don't give up!

Have you tried this:

Activate your negative frame layer

Pick your magic wand tool,

Click inside the main photo area of your negative to select it (the part of the picture you want to keep),

then click on select>inverse,

Now activate your photo layer and

delete. This should delete all of the picture except what was in the main frame area.

HTH, but if it doesn't, don't give up!

JACKPOT!! I had closed everything up until I read your post Bobbi Jo and thought I would try it again and it worked!!! YAY!! Thanks everyone!!

Archived