Vivid Pics And Shutterfly

bjc

i just did a really nice 8 x 8 book of dd wedding photos for my mom and sister...i used their templates, cause i didnt have time yet to do an entire lo of wedding photos.... it just arrived and it looks great but to me some of the photos have the faces too red and some of the grass is really really green... i called them and they said they can turn of the vivid pics if i want and that most people who use pro photos do that...these are photos from the wedding photographer... they have to turn it of from my account so i told them to do that...but i can call them back to turn it back on or can turn it on for indiv. photos if i need to...

does anyone know anything about this vivid pics...have you done a book with and without??? what do you suggest????

other than that the book is super duper.... and believe me my mom and sister wont notice the color like i do...i am picky picky i guess...lol

looking for some help for the future..also thought i may get a book done for my other dd's

Bobbie, I haven't ever printed a book from Shutterfly, but have researched it a little with the thought of printing some of my scrapbooking pages . . . and everything I have read starts out with "turn off vivid pics". My guess is that it is something a professional photographer or someone with their own image editing capabilities just doesn't need. HTH!

Bobbie, I haven't ever printed a book from Shutterfly, but have researched it a little with the thought of printing some of my scrapbooking pages . . . and everything I have read starts out with "turn off vivid pics". My guess is that it is something a professional photographer or someone with their own image editing capabilities just doesn't need. HTH!

\

thats what it sounds like...but it is so buried in the shutterfly stuff i didnt know about it and still couldnt figure out how to turn it off...so thats why i called them.... interested what others have to say...and thanks for your advice

Everything I've ever read about doing books from Shutterfly says to turn off vivid pics, too. I've ordered 3 8x8 books from them now, and they've turned out beautifully (with Vivid Pics off). I think it also helps the color saturation and balance for all things (including digi scrapbook elements & papers, if you use them for the books).

I've been very pleased, but I wish there was an option to have the default OFF instead of ON. It's not such a big deal (tip: have all of your pictures selected, go to the first one, turn the vivid pics off, and then apply to all pictures) but it would save a step and I wouldn't have to think about it.

It sounds to me like they made your account defaulted to Vivid Pics off - is that right? If so, I'd love to do that.

Kristy

Everything I've ever read about doing books from Shutterfly says to turn off vivid pics, too. I've ordered 3 8x8 books from them now, and they've turned out beautifully (with Vivid Pics off). I think it also helps the color saturation and balance for all things (including digi scrapbook elements & papers, if you use them for the books).

I've been very pleased, but I wish there was an option to have the default OFF instead of ON. It's not such a big deal (tip: have all of your pictures selected, go to the first one, turn the vivid pics off, and then apply to all pictures) but it would save a step and I wouldn't have to think about it.

It sounds to me like they made your account defaulted to Vivid Pics off - is that right? If so, I'd love to do that.

Kristy

thanks kristy,

they said they turned it off at their end for all my orders...so i guess that is what they did....

Hi Bobbie!

I hope your new version of the photo book turns out well! It can be sooooo frustrating when you get a photo book back and the photos are not quite what you expected. It sounds like the wedding photog provided you with a disc of high res photos as a part of the photo package? If that is the case, the photog has most likely already edited the photos in photoshop and/or lightroom on a calibrated monitor, so you probably don't want to have Shutterfly make any additional adjustments. I haven't personally ordered a photobook through Shutterfly but it sounds like you would want to avoid the "vivid" option. If you find your self doing any photo editing you may even want to check out a monitor calibrator. It is amazing how differently things can appear on different monitors and also in print!

Good Luck!

Courtney

Hi Bobbie!

I hope your new version of the photo book turns out well! It can be sooooo frustrating when you get a photo book back and the photos are not quite what you expected. It sounds like the wedding photog provided you with a disc of high res photos as a part of the photo package? If that is the case, the photog has most likely already edited the photos in photoshop and/or lightroom on a calibrated monitor, so you probably don't want to have Shutterfly make any additional adjustments. I haven't personally ordered a photobook through Shutterfly but it sounds like you would want to avoid the "vivid" option. If you find your self doing any photo editing you may even want to check out a monitor calibrator. It is amazing how differently things can appear on different monitors and also in print!

Good Luck!

Courtney

Earlier this year I was looking into a monitor calibrator but never could decide. I saw one review said that the mid-priced Spyder wasn't worth the money but I can't afford the expensive one. Do you use one? If so, can you tell us which one and how well it works. Thanks!

Personally I have had good luck with the Spyder 2 Express. I also didn't want to spend a huge amount and in my experience I feel like it has made a huge difference in my prints. For me it became important when I was ordering some larger size prints for framing. Of course, when you are scrapping digitally you never know what monitor someone else might be viewing your work on, LOL! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Kristy

thanks kristy,

they said they turned it off at their end for all my orders...so i guess that is what they did....

I checked with Shutterfly, and they said there's no way currently for them to turn off VividPics at the account level--it still needs to be done for each picture/layout. I think what they probably did is select all the pages in that particular photobook and turn it off. But you need to do that for any future books or you'll have the same printing issues.

Archived