Storing Digital Files

RobinG

I don't know if anyone else has run across this problem, but I'm stumped. I have tried multiple "photo organization" tools, including ACDSee, Picasa, using the My Pictures folder and just creating individual files. What is happening is that I am finding that in attempting to get organized I have MULTIPLE duplications of files/pictures/layouts. It seems when I choose things to be organized it sometimes will duplicate them in the process. What is the easiest way to get photos all into one area so as to delete the duplicates and finally get organized? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Robin,

Occasionally I have this problem. There are a number of reasons why it could be happening, and there are also probably a number of solutions.

Here is what I would do (although others may have other suggestions). I would go back to simply using My Pictures and recreate the folders you want from scratch. I would then open up My Pictures again (so you have two My Pictures folders on the screen) and drag and drop - being careful to make sure you are MOVING them and not COPYING them - ie. no PLUS sign on the files you are moving. If you find they have a PLUS sign on them, you need to either hold down the CNTRL key or the ALT key as you drag (I can't remember which, just experiment until the PLUS sign is gone). If you do it this way and have both the source folder and the destination folder open so you can see the contents of both folders, then you will be able to check that once the pics are in the second folder they have been deleted from the first. If not, you can just delete them from the first folder.

If the files have simply been unintentionally duplicated, they should have similar names and when you refresh the folder by file name they should sit together, then you can delete the duplicates and start reorganising and re-naming.

I hope all this makes sense. Feel free to PM me for any clarification!

Hi Robin,

I have ACDSee 10 Photo Manager and it has a tool to help you find and remove duplicate files. (Under Tools>Find Duplicates) If yours has it, you might give it a try.

~Jennifer

Archived