Locked Layers!

fran

First of all, I purchased PSE on ebay thinking I was buying 4.0 but it is actually the original. Very irritating. Anyway, I am trying to pull embellishments from my downloaded files and when I get it on my background, it locks the layer which means I can't do anything to it at all. Any ideas?

Another thing to try is to double click next to the name on the locked layer. You should have a box pop up that's asking you to rename the layer. Just click enter to accept the default name and your layer should then be unlocked.

HELP! I tried both of your suggestions but they didn't work! I tried duplicating the layer, duplicating the image, and renaming the layer, but the layers remained locked. Is there anything else I can try?

Guest kanga
If its the original you are using, I have that too (although I now also have PSE4 having upgraded) I just clicked on the little button enext to the lock sign - it's at the top of the lyaers pallette. Drag the layers palette out of the top bar so you can see everything. At the top it should have a greyed out padlock - try unclicking the tick there.

Guest kanga
I think that's right - to stop you acidently changing something.
I don't know if there's a way to turn it off - I couldn't find one in PSE - it's one of the things that realy bugged me - having to unlock any layer I dragged into a LO! Small, but annoying after a while.

Archived