Upgrading: Pse7 Or Pscs4?

sthrnbelle05

I've been getting increasingly frustrated with the limitations of PSE5, the only photoshop I own. I know there is a new elements and creative suite out, and I'm not sure which one to upgrade to, if either. While I am frustrated, PSE is something I'm very familiar with, have a ton of actions for, and 7 is only an $80 upgrade. I would love to have CS4, but I'm concerned that it will prove too daunting for me and there is that -small- pricetag of $600. Since I don't scrap for hire or the like I can't really justify that expense. For those of you who have PSE7, is it much different than 5 and worth it to upgrade to? For those of you who have had both, is CS4 so wonderful that it is worth learning the program and the price? Thanks!

I just bit the bullet and upgraded from PSE 5 to PSE 7. I've been really happy with the upgrade. There aren't a TON of new features, but there are *some* neat things that you can do in 7, so I'm happy with my decision to upgrade. I believe Adobe is also running a $20 rebate if you upgrade from an earlier version through the end of January.

I've been getting increasingly frustrated with the limitations of PSE5, the only photoshop I own.

IMHO, if you're frustrated with the limitations of PSE5, you'd probably be happier with CS4. (This is coming from someone who hasn't used even a fraction of the features of PSE7 and is still learning something new each and every day.)

I can't comment on the PSE7 vs CS4 exactly but I was using PSE6 and made the jump to CS3. I have not regretted that change at all. The initial week or two while I figured out all the little differences was a little frustrating, but I've pretty much figured out how to do everything I did in PSE and much much more. I really wanted the photo post processing capabilities of the full PS program. It sounds to me like you are thinking PSE is keeping you from expanding you ability to do things and even though PSE7 is improved over PSE5, are you still going to hit the wall with its capacity to do what you want it to soon? Sorry I can't help you more, just let you know I'm glad I moved to the next level. Now if only I could move the output to the next level LOL

Initially I went from PSE5 to CS3, and was wowed by everything new I could do. Since then, I did get PSE7 because I wanted the Premiere Video Editor and I do like the Organizer quite a bit. I also went to CS4, which I LOVE! CS4 does way more than PSE7 - photo editing, more filters, easier to work with styles and actions and masks. I did not find the learning curve from PSE to CS really steep, as the same principals are there. You will just be amazed to learn all of the ways you can do things...

Adobe does run specials for upgrading from PSE - sometimes if you call and ask, they will quote you a better price. I think I paid $299 to upgrade to CS3 with my Wacom Table, but was able to upgrade to CS4 for $169. It is expensive - but it is F-U-N! And fun is "priceless"

Here is the link for the $299 upgrade from PSE to PSCS4: Adobe CS4 upgrade from PSE. I just checked and the link is still available!

If you'd like to read the info in the thread about this that I started in November....there's a bunch of info and comments there, here's the link!

There are a few things to check as far as compatibility goes like it requires a newer nvidia graphics card to use the enhanced zooming option (it's very fluid and I love this feature!) I don't have the specific link for compatible graphics cards but I know that info is available thru the adobe website and if you google it you can find that info as well.

I upgraded from PSE 5/7 in early December and I don't regret it. There is a pretty steep learning curve and I never realized what I was missing in PSE until I started playing with CS4. I still use PSE7 and will continue to until I am proficient in CS4.

I hope this helps you in deciding what to do! Good luck! You can always download the 30 day trial from Adobe to see if you like it first.

Another thing I'd like to say is that CS4 works a lot faster than PSE 7 does. I first upgraded from PSE 5 to 7, the first thing I noticed is that the amount of time to open files in PSE 7 increased dramatically (I first thought it was the older laptop I was using but have since bought a new laptop with a super fast processor and it's still really slow). When I installed CS4, I was pretty nervous because I thought that if PSE 7 was slow, CS4 was bound to be even slower because of the added features but that has proven to be quite the contrary! CS4 is really fast!

Here is the link for the $299 upgrade from PSE to PSCS4: Adobe CS4 upgrade from PSE. I just checked and the link is still available!

If you'd like to read the info in the thread about this that I started in November....there's a bunch of info and comments there, here's the link!

There are a few things to check as far as compatibility goes like it requires a newer nvidia graphics card to use the enhanced zooming option (it's very fluid and I love this feature!) I don't have the specific link for compatible graphics cards but I know that info is available thru the adobe website and if you google it you can find that info as well.

I upgraded from PSE 5/7 in early December and I don't regret it. There is a pretty steep learning curve and I never realized what I was missing in PSE until I started playing with CS4. I still use PSE7 and will continue to until I am proficient in CS4.

I hope this helps you in deciding what to do! Good luck! You can always download the 30 day trial from Adobe to see if you like it first.

Thank you! I couldn't find the link and hadn't had much time to look for it.

The half off price makes it nigh unbearable. I've been messing with the free trial, and my husband, who knows Photoshop 7, showed me some of the things he knows how to do. Crazy how much it has. I've noticed a few things that I had gotten used to with pse that don't work the same way that annoy me a bit, but I can learn to live with that.

Bethany,

I finally made my first LO in CS4 today! It was the first time I've actually had time to sit and play around with styles and stuff and I can honestly say that it's so much better than PSE! You have more control over everything! I love it more and more each time I use it!

What about installing styles and actions and stuff? Is it as easy as PSE 5? I have read all the nightmares about installing that stuff with PSE 6 and 7. How is it for CS4?

DH just told me to go for it, since it's still the $299 price. I'm just now getting to where I'm pretty proficient in PSE 5 and feel very comfortable with it. I'm not sure I"m up for more learning curve at the moment. Either way, I'd still like to know if it is easy to load the actions, styles, etc.

Thanks!

What about installing styles and actions and stuff? Is it as easy as PSE 5? I have read all the nightmares about installing that stuff with PSE 6 and 7. How is it for CS4?

DH just told me to go for it, since it's still the $299 price. I'm just now getting to where I'm pretty proficient in PSE 5 and feel very comfortable with it. I'm not sure I"m up for more learning curve at the moment. Either way, I'd still like to know if it is easy to load the actions, styles, etc.

Thanks!

Way, way easier in Photoshop than in PSE. They've only made it hard for PSE. I just click on "load style" and navigate to the folder where they are stored and load them. I haven't even put them in the presets.

And for most Actions, you just drag and drop them into the open program and they are loaded.

As April said, it is much much easier to "install" styles. In CS4 you have the option to just load them when you want to use them and replace them when you want something else. I never knew this was an option in CS4 until I started playing today and let me tell ya....it's awesome! I've always kept all of my styles in one folder and now I just click load style and it takes me right to that folder and I can pick whatever I want! I'm totally hooked!

Archived