Vista Going Away?

SandiC.

I haven't seen the news today, been at work, but my DIL called and said Microsioft is dropping vista. I went to the microsoft site and they have Windows 7 beta available. It looks good, but..... Has anyone else heard any other news about this?

Sandi, Windows 7 has been in the news lately. I don't know when Microsoft will release it, or start shipping new computers with this new operating system, but as I have heard, it will be a new and improved Vista, just not using that name. There are many great features from Vista that will be in this new OS. What exactly, I don't know. But I know it will be an improvement.

When I went to the MS site, the little preview of windows 7 features looks nice. You can download the beta now. So far, knock on wood, I've had no problems with Vista, but I think if I did, I'd give Windows 7 a try. I'm sort of tempted anyway, but then they have all the warnings about using a beta version. if it ain't broke, don't fix it thing, you know.

Since I haven't had any problems with Vista (knocking on wood), I'm going to leave well enough alone. I try not to upgrade certain programs, like operating systems, until they've been out quite a while and bugs have been identified and worked out. I know Vista gets a lot of bad press, but I've gotta say, it has a great search engine which I use often.

Well, I certainly wouldn't think of downloading th beta version! Vista and I are getting along just fine now and I don't want to try anything that might be unstable. And when Windows 7 is finally released, I probably won't be upgrading. I'll just wait and get it with my next computer purchase.

Oh boy. I'm frustrated. lol

I ordered (paid for) a laptop a week ago. It might come in today at the store.

I had asked them about a new system that's supposed to come out...they waved that off.

Should I just be happy with this Vista that I'll be getting. (I use XP on my PC.) Should I try to talk to them about getting the newer system instead?

Well, as asked my DH what he thought.

He said the new laptop will be so much more capable than my desktop...I can't have PSE7 on the desktop (not enough memory or what-have-you.) The Vista will be fine for me. He agreed about the new system probably needing some time to work out any kinks and all.

Now...for them to call me to let me know it came in. I was expecting it last Tuesday.

Wow, this is interesting (but not surprising). Charlene, I just got a new laptop this week and I haven't even turned it on yet (waiting to have the time to play - maybe today!) It has Vista and I have been a bit nervous about that given all the bad press. I hope you get your laptop today Char!

I got a new laptop with vista a couple of months ago and so far so good. I don't ususally do too much to stress a system. I really was anxious as I've heard all the horror stories too. I agree on waiting until a new OS is released and had the bugs worked out before making the plunge.

Charlene,

If it were me in your shoes (and I'm not so take this for what it's worth), I would be asking for XP on that new machine you just bought. When it comes to MS operating systems, my general rule of thumb is to NOT be one of the first people to get the new OS. Beta version or full version. Their track record is for the first couple releases of a new OS to be rather buggy. So when thinking about a new OS, I tend sit and wait for user reviews for 6 months to a year and THEN decide to upgrade.

You'll notice I said I'd be asking for XP .... I flat out refused to install Vista on any of my machines due to all the compatibility issues with software, resources, and other issues that came out pretty quickly when Vista came out.

That being said, if there is some way you can get them to send you a coupon for a discounted upgrade, that would probably be a good move. Then after the new OS is stable, you could upgrade for a deeply (hopefully) discounted rate.

From the little that I've read (and it's VERY little), the reviews of Windows 7 seem much better than Vista (you'll notice that they aren't calling it Vista 2 .... they've been hammered way to much by bad Vista reviews that they're pulling away from using the name). The OS is based on Vista code however, its supposed to address some of the issues (like software compatibility and system resource hogging) that Vista introduced.

They also haven't yet set a release date for this OS. It's still beta. Chances are they are going to take their time before releasing it to try and get most of the complaints of Vista addressed. Personally, I still get a kick out of those Mac/PC commercials they're still running (you know, one guy is the Mac and one guy is Vista and the Vista guy is always sad because of what is going on with his OS).

HTHs

Denise

Denise, I talked to the sales people about getting XP. Even though it's a "downgrade" they charge more. Go figure.

But, that aside...they said that Microsoft would not be offering support for XP since it's "old." Well...that's not the exact words but it was something to that affect. 2 different sales people at different times said that. Maybe they were right or maybe they weren't. But what would I know? I'm so unknowledgeable, it seems, about computers. I learn a little bit at a time about my computer...and that's all I know. lol

Just called them...their supposed to call me back. I have a feeling it's still not in. Argh.

I'd be so anxious if I were you, Charlene! That's a long time to wait. I know I was on pins and needles, dying to play with my new laptop.

My friend told me about Vista. She saw a headline somewhere, but I forgot about it until I saw this post. I'll stick with Vista for awhile longer.

I'd be so anxious if I were you, Charlene! That's a long time to wait. I know I was on pins and needles, dying to play with my new laptop.

My friend told me about Vista. She saw a headline somewhere, but I forgot about it until I saw this post. I'll stick with Vista for awhile longer.

I think I was under the impression when I first read this thread this morning that the new system was out NOW in stores. lol I knew one was in the works...for later this year I thought. Anyway....

My DH has asked me almost everyday, is the computer in yet? lol I told him he was more excited than I am. lol

And...it's in!!!

We'll be going tonight to get it.

I'm scared.

I don't know anything about Vista. And they don't come with a nice little book that tells you all you need to know. I'm not even sure right now about getting it set up on the internet. I don't know if the Bellsouth guy set up something in my computer when he came out and plugged in the modem for my desktop. Or what? lol

Guess I'll have a lot to figure out in the next days/weeks!

Charlene,

While it's true that MS will end support for XP ... that end is not around the corner as sales people would have you believe. The reason sales people will tell you the support is ending is because it's in their best interest to sell you what they have on the shelves (XP is harder to get now). Anyway, this is the support life cycle straight from the MS website:

The Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy took effect in October 2002, and applies to most products currently available through retail purchase or volume licensing and most future release products. Through the policy, Microsoft will offer a minimum of:

* 10 years of support (5 years Mainstream Support and 5 years Extended Support) at the supported service pack level for Business and Developer products

* 5 years Mainstream Support at the supported service pack level for Consumer/Hardware/Multimedia products

* 3 years of Mainstream Support for products that are annually released (for example, Money, Encarta, Picture It!, and Streets & Trips)

For XP, the end of extended support is set for April 2014. Thing is, XP is so stable that you will rarely need support from them. They just release service pack 3 for XP in April of 08 and the support for service packs is "24 months from the release of the next service pack or until the life cycle of the product ends".

Here's a link on the MS website (think I'm allowed to post this here) that has all the dates:

XP Support Life Cycle Dates

Unfortunately, you would probably have to pay for the downgrade disk and if you're not certain how to go about installing it, you're probably better with the factory installed image of Vista at this point. You COULD try to push them on a discount coupon for the new OS but again, you'd have to either find someone to install it for you or do it yourself IF they were willing to give you that coupon. If the PC dealer isn't willing, you might try calling Microsoft for the same. I have no idea if they'd give it to you but you don't lose anything by calling and expressing concern right?

Good luck with your new machine. Hopefully everything will work just fine!

HTHs

Denise

Oh ... and the sales people would charge more for the 'downgrade' because the machine will ship from the factory pre-installed with Vista. The people at the store would most likely have to do the installation of XP for you (or give you the burned disk of the OS) and that's pretty much what they're charging you for

Oh boy. I'm frustrated. lol

I ordered (paid for) a laptop a week ago. It might come in today at the store.

I had asked them about a new system that's supposed to come out...they waved that off.

Should I just be happy with this Vista that I'll be getting. (I use XP on my PC.) Should I try to talk to them about getting the newer system instead?

Charlene- all three of my computers have Vista-no troubles ever. Have you received your computer?? The girl I work with uninstalled vista and installed xp on her new computer......not sure why, my OLD work computer has xp. I'm always leary of new os when they came out. I had 2000me on a laptop-it was miserable-does anyone remember ME???

I think I was under the impression when I first read this thread this morning that the new system was out NOW in stores. lol I knew one was in the works...for later this year I thought. Anyway....

My DH has asked me almost everyday, is the computer in yet? lol I told him he was more excited than I am. lol

And...it's in!!!

We'll be going tonight to get it.

I'm scared.

I don't know anything about Vista. And they don't come with a nice little book that tells you all you need to know. I'm not even sure right now about getting it set up on the internet. I don't know if the Bellsouth guy set up something in my computer when he came out and plugged in the modem for my desktop. Or what? lol

Guess I'll have a lot to figure out in the next days/weeks!

charlene-you'll pick it up quickly!

My laptop...is sitting in my lap. lol

No battery in it yet. No plug in it yet. I have the "START HERE" tiny pamphlet thing in my hand. lol

Off I go to see how to turn it on.

lol

And I'm just gonna stick with the Vista that's in it.

Wheeeee......

My SIL will not use vista on any of his shop's many computers... he is an I.T. guy and has heard nothing but bad news of Vista. He found that Dell will install business XP on computers for a minor fee and he urges his customers to get that switch to avoid the many challenges of vista.

Well, I got my HP laptop in July with Vista because the XP was ended... I survived but miss the XP greatly. I look forward to the windows 7, but will look into Mac before I buy another computer.

My laptop came with Vista. The XP downgrade would have cost $300. So, I left Vista installed. My only complaint is that is really bogs down my system resources making my shiny, new LT slower than it should be.

There was a post recently giving websites that indicate how to "shut off" some of the hoggy settings. I'll have to go find it.

Char, enjoy your new LT. I bought a lap desk so I can scrap in the car. How decadent is that!!!!

I hate Vista. Every program that I had on my old computer don't work with Vista on my new computer: Kodak Easy Share, Creating Keepsakes Design digital scrapbooking software, PSE5 is even giving me problems, Scrapbook Max!, and a couple of others. As soon as I can get my CD's from storage of my different software programs, I'm going back to XP. That means a lot of work restoring my hard drive, but I think it will be worth it. When you install XP over Vista you have to fomat your hard drive, so everything has to be backed up. Of course since I use Carbonite there won't be any problem restoring my files.

I would not trust any new OS from MS. As from past experience (pre XP days) their new programs always have problems until they can work the bugs out. They are always in such a rush to get the new program out, they don't check everything. XP was great, it wasn't broken so why did they try to fix it?????

In Vista anytime I want to delete a folder/file etc. it takes forever and so many screens come up to ask you if you want to continue. With XP, delete and it was gone. So far the only good thing about Vista is the search Engine. Also,Vista has a limit for file names and I always run into problems when trying to move files that the file path is too long. Then I have to go and locate the file and/or files and remane them. What a pain. Give me good old XP anyday.

My laptop came with Vista. The XP downgrade would have cost $300. So, I left Vista installed. My only complaint is that is really bogs down my system resources making my shiny, new LT slower than it should be.

There was a post recently giving websites that indicate how to "shut off" some of the hoggy settings. I'll have to go find it.

Char, enjoy your new LT. I bought a lap desk so I can scrap in the car. How decadent is that!!!!

When I started having problems before my system crashed, I went to eBay and bought a new copy of XP for $80 and I will use that when I convert back to XP on my new machine. So you don't have to spend $300 to downgrade to XP and don't let any techie tell you that you have to. All you need is a copy of XP and follow these directions (from Vista help): You cannot uninstall Windows Vista, but you can reinstall your previous operating system, which then replaces Windows Vista. To reinstall your old operating system, you must have the original installation disc. Back up your programs and files, insert the installation disc into your computer, and then reinstall the old operating system. To regain the hard disk space used by Windows Vista, reformat the disk during the reinstallation process. After reinstalling your previous operating system, reinstall your programs and files. For information about removing Windows Vista from a multiboot system, see Uninstall Windows Vista on a multiboot system.

Archived