Recommended Point & Shoot Cameras?

Guest zachsmommy

Guest zachsmommy

Seems silly, as I already have two cameras, but they are both too bulky to have with me all the time in my purse, so I'm looking for an inexpensive (less than $150) point and shoot camera for catching random shots...you know, scenery stuff, silly things I see, etc.

What do you use? Do you love it? Why?

I really want a camera that is responsive (I HATE pushing the shutter button and having to wait 2 seconds before the shot actually takes) and has pretty good battery life. Of course, good pictures go without saying.

Thanks for your input!

:thanks:

I love my Canon PowerShot SD870IS. It is the fastest P&S I have found and I did GOBS of research before my purchase (shutter-release speeds of about .4 seconds vs. .8+seconds of most other models), however it's a little more than the price range you're looking at -- about $225. BUT, Circuit City is liquidating its assets, so you may be able to pick one up for less than that.

Here are the threads where I posted my camera quest, in case you want more info, recommendations, etc.

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...c=34140&hl=

Happy Hunting!

I have a Casio Elixim 8.1. I got it at Costco about a year ago and i think it was right around $150, maybe $169. I absolutely love it for having it in my pocket or purse at all times. Its a little bitty thing, about the size of a business card case. I've had some very nice photos, its easy to use, not too slow (I'm used to a DSLR), and mine is a pretty light blue. And I literally have it in my pocket at all times. I recommend it.

I just got a Samsung s860 for Christmas. I love the size it's very small and fits in my purse. The price is great too (under $100) and it has great features like digital image stabilization. I got this camera in addition to my Canon Rebel XTI and I'm used to the quick reaction time with my DSLR so there is a bit of lag time between pressing the button and the photo taking. Anyway, hope to help!

I'm sold on Canon. Three of my kids have Canon P&S. One has very good features (aperture and shutter priority) but the other two just have program mode (which is still some good control over photos) and several automatic settings.

My purse camera is a Sony that my DH got for his 25 year anniversary at work (yeah, big gift, huh? They cost $99 new at Wallyworld!) Not my first choice, but it was free.

Guest zachsmommy
I love my Canon PowerShot SD870IS. It is the fastest P&S I have found and I did GOBS of research before my purchase (shutter-release speeds of about .4 seconds vs. .8+seconds of most other models), however it's a little more than the price range you're looking at -- about $225. BUT, Circuit City is liquidating its assets, so you may be able to pick one up for less than that.

Here are the threads where I posted my camera quest, in case you want more info, recommendations, etc.

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...c=34140&hl=

Happy Hunting!

Thanks Jennifer for the link to your thread...that was very helpful! I may just up my price some and check out the SD870 IS.....

I have the Canon Powershot A470. It has the photo stabilization and I'm loving learning the different modes with it. Just heard that the Canon Powershot A480 is even better and I got mine for 130 dollars last October.

If you have it on automatic mode yeah you will have the press halfway, then press fully to take the best picture. However if you have it on any of the other modes like SCN you need to press almost immediately to get the best shot. Sometimes it does make some nice blurry scenes (LOL) but the more you practice, the better you get at it.

I have the Canon Power Shot 990.. It was $349.00 at costco. I know that is more than your budget, but I thought I would give another vote on the Canon's. I still have a ton of things to learn about it. I also have a DSLR...

Archived