Kindle

Guest zachsmommy

You can't have it on at take off and landing, but you can use it during the rest of the trip. The Whispernet service is something you can turn off and on with a switch. And in fact, you want to keep it turned off most of the time because it uses up the battery power quicker. So you can consider it more like a hand-held game console, that you can use once the plane is up.

It is a perfect way to travel light, Sandi. That's one of the reasons many people take it, because you can take a whole library with you! :D So thrilled you've decided to get this! I promise you, it will change the way you read. :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a kindle but Santa just brought me the Sony ereader for Christmas and I love being able to just buy and download books to read right away. I also like the fact that I don't have to buy more bookshelves for my ever growing collection :).

• 3 months later...

I have owned a Kindle2 since the end of February. I was hooked when the first Kindle was released, but I am hesitant to purchase the first iteration of any technology, so I waited for the improvements. I absolutely love love love my Kindle. I'm a librarian and thus hopelessly addicted to the printed word - for the past 50+ years or so. For anyone who is considering purchase, do buy the Kindle cover - but don't bother with the screen skins. You don't need them.

I find it actually easier to read than a book because it is lighter in weight and just slight pressure of either thumb turns the pages. On vacation last week, I could have a new book to read without moving from my lounge chair. And . . . no one could possibly know what I was reading. For anyone hesitant, check at your local public library to see if there are any to loan and try out. I know there are a few out there.

I agree, I love my kindle 2. I love showing it off to people who have never seen it before. Was just looking through the accessories aisle on Amazon this afternoon and found a purple cover. Gotta get that before the convention so you all can see it. LOL.

i am thinking of getting dh one for a gift...he loves to read and often finishes a book and then has to wait till he has time to go to a store to find a new one... he would love one.... i know they are pricey but my dh is priceless so i am considering it for a special gift...

Kathi, I know exactly how you feel about the feel of a book and the margin notes and all. When I put the cover on the kindle, it feels like a book. I was really surprised, but I love the feel of it. Very nice. And you can highlight and make notes. One of the bad things about Amazon is there is no store to go into to see it and try it, you just have to have faith in what everyone tells you. It was pretty scary for me to put down that kind of $$ not knowing what it was going to be like. Jan reassured me and I read a lot of reviews on the amazon site. And it was all I had hoped for and then some. If you get a chance, try to see someone's. I believe Amazon has a place on the website with a listing a people in your area that have one and would be willing to show you.

Kathi, I know exactly how you feel about the feel of a book and the margin notes and all. When I put the cover on the kindle, it feels like a book. I was really surprised, but I love the feel of it. Very nice. And you can highlight and make notes. One of the bad things about Amazon is there is no store to go into to see it and try it, you just have to have faith in what everyone tells you. It was pretty scary for me to put down that kind of $$ not knowing what it was going to be like. Jan reassured me and I read a lot of reviews on the amazon site. And it was all I had hoped for and then some. If you get a chance, try to see someone's. I believe Amazon has a place on the website with a listing a people in your area that have one and would be willing to show you.

I didn't know you could highlight and make notes!!! How does that feature work? Hm....this might just be the tipping point for me, lol.

Yaaay - more Kindle Konverts! ;)

Cheri, I'm not sure how it works on the K2, but I would think it's the same for the most part. There's a little scroll wheel on the right hand side, that you use to scroll the scroll bar up to the line where you want to make a note. Then you press down on the scroll wheel and get a menu, choose Add Note (it's something like that), and then type away. Very easy to use. But then, everything about the Kindle is easy to use! :D

And yeah, skins aren't necessary, but they sure do make it look purty, especially when you have a skin that coordinates with your cover. :D Accessorizing is important, after all!

I'm afraid there is no replacement for the smell of a good book, but for me, it's about the story. I don't really care how it's packaged.

I wanted to tell you all, though, that I may be reading a DTB soon! ACK! I need to re-read Half Blood Prince before the movie comes out in July, and darn that JK Rowling, she refuses to put the Harry Potter books in eBook version! So yes, sigh....I may have to pick up that thick tome to read it. As much as I want to re-read the story, I am NOT looking forward to reading that monster book. Sooo much easier to read on the Kindle!

Less back strain Jan LOL.

Before my husband ordered my kindle 2 I had requested Wally Lamb's "the hour I first belived" it's a huge book, over 800 pages. I am almost done with it and I am so happy to not have to lug it around anymore.

My husband ordered me an ugly cover for my kindle, it is more expensive then the one I was going to get LOL. I am hoping that when it arrives I will like it better then the photo of it.

I really think I need a cover as I am afraid to break it carry it in my purse.

So far I am loving it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I've had a Kindle 2 since Feb. I ordered it immediately. I had wanted one since they came out, but thought Kindle 1 was unattractive. I really love my Kindle. I had been reading ebooks on my Palm for a long time, but those ebooks are as expensive as the hardcovers and because the Palm is backlit, you can't read outdoors with it. The Kindle has solved both of those problems. While most books are $9.99 which a lot of times is significantly less than the hardcover without having to wait for the paperback, there are some real bargains, too. I've gotten the complete works of Shakespeare for $3.50 and similar prices on other classics. They give books away sometimes, too, although I've discovered you have to pay close attention to them. Some of them are just synopsis and intended to get you to buy the full version. Others are the first book in a series which I don't mind if I was thinking about reading that anyway and are a painless way to check out a new author. On the Amazon Kindle site there is a pretty active messageboard with an extensive FAQ which answers just about any question you might have. If not, there are plenty of people who are happy to help.

I don't know why J.K. Rowling makes such a big deal about not allowing HP on ebooks. I appreciate the feel of paper and all that, but she doesn't have any problem with audiobooks. If it gets you to read, does it really matter what format it's in.

I was at the airport in Paris week before last waiting for my flight, reading my Kindle, and in the seat directly across from me there was a woman reading a Kindle. We just smiled at each other. <g>

I love it. It's just great...

Laylajean

• 8 months later...

I seen Jan's Kindle at our Harrisburg get-together in August 2009 and fell in love with it.

So I ordered a book or two and I was able to have them on my IPhone and my laptop. But with the phone, the words are too small, it hurts my eyes and with the laptop, it's just not mobile enough. I can't curl up with a good book in bed, when it's on my laptop. So I was very disappointed.

So My son just got me one from Amazon (an early Mother's Day present) , it's one of the newer ones. It's a 6 inch screen. I was worried that would be too small and I measured some of the books I read and they are around 5 inches...so I am safe!

And I love it!! It's really kool! You have completely converted me Jan!!

Thank you!!

Di, on both the iPhone and in the kindle itself, you can adjust the size of the print to make it easier to read. I've found with mine that some books in the kindle format have smaller print than others andso I do have to adjust depending on the book. also, sometimes at night with the fatigue of the day set in, I need to enlarge the print to make it a little less strain. When the print gets too big, I'm turning the page faster, but its still pretty comfortable. Congratulations on your kindle, so glad you've got such a thoughtful son.

Just wondering if anyone has bought or looked at the IPAD that has just come out? I read all the time and have thought about it, but think I might wait until the next version comes out and they work all the bugs out - they do all have bugs the first try, right? A Mac user, I know nothing about Kindle.

Yeah Di, what a lovely son you have. i love my kindle too even with the restrictions here in Australia. The ipad, while capable of reading e-books is still a back lit LCD screen so it wont be easy on the eyes (Kindles use e-ink which looks like writing on paper, its not backlit so you can read in the sunshine). They will have to work that one out to convert alot of Kindle users. Plus you will have to pay extra for wireless...think itouch/iphone only bigger...flashy but not a good e-reader (yet anyway)...then there is the bullying going on by apple and the big 6 publishers - but I wont get started on that.

Enjoy your Kindle Di

Sara, the mac version of kindle will be coming out soon. I'm really looking forward to that.

I didn't know that - thanks, Sandi! I will watch and wait and put a few more quarters in my "I Want It Jar"

I am not much of a book reader. But, I love instructional books but I downloaded Kindle to my iphone and got some free books and I love reading them while I'm waiting in the Drs. office or anywhere where I have to wait... Its probably not the same as the real one, but it works just fine for me!

I've been looking at the new "Nook" from Barnes and Noble. If I were to buy an ebook, that is the one that I would buy. I like the looks of it and the feel of it. I've seen the Sony ebook and would not buy that. Don't like the looks or the feel of it. I've not seen the 'Kindle', and I don't know anyone who has one. I would like to see and hold it before I made my final pick. So for now, I'm thinking of buying 'The Nook'. I like the idea of not having to make room on my shelves for any more books and most of important, that trees will not be killed.

I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to see Jan's ebook at the Harrisburg get together last year.

I wish that there was a kindle app for my phone (palm pre) for when I waiting around at the Dr. office. There are plenty of ereader apps for my phone but I don't want to be buying books from two places.

Now there is a kindle app for the PC and since my phone runs a WebOS you'd think there would be a way to get it on my phone....

I have been trying to get one of my boys to download it to their ipods so I could use that LOL. So far no takers.

I love my Kindle. I saw Jan's at Harrisburg & put it on my Christmas list then.

I am reading Jan's husband's Mike's book on it.

What is Mike's book called Laurie? I heard it being mentioned at the get-together but didn't hear it's title. Or where to get it. Thank you

Archived