Kindle

Guest zachsmommy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my kindle before I had an iPhone and when I got the app for the iPhone I was pleasantly surprised. I use it exactly like you do MJ, while waiting ....very, very handy.

You know what they say Sandi!! Great minds think alike! lol Right now I'm reading : "Summer of the Midnight Sun" by Tracie Peterson. Its okay and I am really enjoying reading with the Kindle. Much more than I thought I would!

I've looked into Barnes & Nobles Nook. It has a couple of advantages over the Kindle (not price unfortunately - lol) the battery is replaceable by the consumer. My understanding with the Kindle and Sony is they have to be replaced by the company and the cost is approx $100? With the Nook, you can add another card for extra book storage. You can lend books to friends. I'm going strictly from memory here. You can load your PDF's to the Nook - don't know if this is true for the Kindle.

The Sony is cheaper than the Kindle but you have to buy books from Sony and I don't think their library is extensive. The Nook is selling for $250 and local help is available. I think I am going with the Nook when I'm ready to buy. The battery issue huge for me.

My son has a Kindle that reads to you. He primarily got this because my grandson is deslexic (or however you spell it) and part of his learning to read is to have someone read the book to him and then he has to read it. Big time saver for the parents! My son takes it with him on his numerous trips to Japan - I believe he reads on the plane - but again I don't know for sure.

I am waiting for either the Nook or the Kindle to have my favorite study bible available and then I can justify buying it!

I've looked at the nook, but it came out after my kindle. One thing is if you go into any B&N store you can read any nook book for free while you're there. Kindle will store something like 150,000 books for you, and its simple to unarchive them, just like a download, less than one minute. I've had my kindle for over a year now and no battery issue, just recharges and holds a charge for weeks if I turn off the wireless. Can use PDFs in kindle, something you have to do to get them, but I've never done it. The reading out loud thing is available on the more recent kindles, but not the first generation. also pays MP3 so I can listen to music while I read. I'm not sure about all the features of the nook, basically, I think they are about equivalent. Maybe, if my kindle dies or gets run over by a bus or something I'll look at the nook before I replace the kindle. Kindle is now international and that is an attractive feature to me, not that I've been out of the country lately, but love to travel. My local B&N doesn't have the nook in the store to look at, just a brochure.

Guest zachsmommy

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it...I definitely read more now than I used to, due to the fact of always having it with me. It's wonderful and I'm extremely pleased with it so far. :)

I've had my Kindle for a couple of months now and I love it too! I find I'm reading more and the weight of the Kindle is easier on my poor arthritic hands and wrists...plus its so darn handy to take on vacation.

• 2 months later...

Di, do you have a Kindle or a Nook? I am just still trying to figure out which one I want - when I win the lottery that is! Really, I have been researching them for awhile now and can't make a decision - guess I really need to "hold" one of them and have a good look before I just order one. Just wondered how you like yours.

Thanks, Laurie - since I need to wait a bit anyway - that is helpful information for me. I did see an ad today in one of the stores for the Nook - can't remember which store but it was like a Best Buy or something - and my Dad has the newspaper right now so will look later. Thanks for the info.

Di, do you have a Kindle or a Nook? I am just still trying to figure out which one I want - when I win the lottery that is! Really, I have been researching them for awhile now and can't make a decision - guess I really need to "hold" one of them and have a good look before I just order one. Just wondered how you like yours.

Sara, I had the Kindle, but it hurt my eyes to use it. I tried changing settings etc, nothing helped. So I returned it. We were in Best Buy today and they were trying to sell my son the Nook. It's pretty cool. The one feature it has is that when you buy a book, for 14 days, you can share it with someone else to read too. Kinda cool I thought.

Well, if it's hard on the eyes I wouldn't like that either, Di - guess I will have to go and have a look at them both - no rush for me - really can't afford it right now but am getting more and more interested - I read a lot - I do like my books - but I know that after awhile even my computer screen starts to bug me so not sure what I want to do. Thanks for the tip though.

Feeling better?

I love my Kindle. I have had no issues with the screen and my eyes. It is not backlit like the computer, so it doesn't wear on my eyes like the computer does after a while. I got mine last fall before Christmas and have read several books. I love the way it feels in my hands and the screen size is comparable to a paperback. Good luck with your decision. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, Di. My only problem is the one-click purchase from Amazon - LOL!

I heard Target is going to sell one of them...I think it was the Kindle. I am a try-before-you-buy kind of gal so I'd love the opportunity to do so:)

I'd LOVE to have it now, as I bought a medical book to study for my recertification boards coming up this summer and the darned thing is HUGE and weighs a ton (I weighed it; really!;)

Cheri, the Kindle is going to be sold at Target! and I know what you mean about those HUGE med books. I'm going to recert next year and am going through Harrison's again. I just love my Kindle and have had not problems with it being hard to read, actually less eyestrain than regular books. One purchase with absolutely no buyers' remorse.

Me too, Gayle - I love the feel of a book in my hands - but am seriously, seriously thinking more and more about this as I read all of the positive comments here. They are just expensive and it may be one of those things I have to rob my "quarters bank" for - but I think I at least want to buy one and try it out. But I also need a new lens for my camera so am going to have to make some choices here - two things I do a lot of - read, read, read and shoot, shoot, shoot!

while intially it may seem that they are expensive, you can get LOTS and LOTS of books for free from the kindle store.

Also books are often cheaper. The most I have paid for a kindle book is 11.99.

JMHO

Archived