Selective Coloring

pharmgurl

Hey everyone:

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times -- however I couldn't find an old message posting addressing my question.

I want to make an entire pic black --but keep the eyes (or an object) colored -- and sometimes i would even like to brighten/enhance the color of that signal object.

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance,

Carie (pharmgurl)

PSE 6. Mac book,

Hey, Carie!

You need to use your magic wand to select just the eyes (or whatever object you want to keep colored). Then duplicate that selection by putting it on a new layer. On a PC this is Ctrl+J, but I'm not sure how that would translate to a Mac. Once you get the object duplicated onto a new layer, you can change your photo to black and white. Then, with the other layer highlighted, you can play with the hue/saturation sliders to change/highlight the color the way you want it.

Hope that helps!

You could also accomplish it with a layer mask.

duplicate the photo

make the bottom photo black and white

on the top photo adjust the colors so the object is the color you want (paying no attention to the rest of the photo)

add layer mask and fill mask with black

use a soft edged brush and change the foreground color to white and paint over the eyes or other object to reveal the colored object.

HTHs

Denise

Or you can use the Polygonal Lasso Tool to select the area you want to remain coloured.Don't forget to duplicate your image(just in case of problems) and make sure the Add To Selections option is ticked if you want to addd more than one area.

Once you have your selection use SELECT>INVERSE to select the rest of the picture and then IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS>DESATURATE.

Then click SELECT>INVERSE to reselect your coloured selection then SELECT>MODIFY>FEATHER to smooth out the hard edges. And you are done.

Some software has the option ADJUSTMENTS>BLACK and White which can give you different tones of black and white.

I think the tutorial for this is in the university.Don't you just love how many ways you can approach the same problem but get the same results.HTH

For a Mac, everytime you see "Ctrl" just replace with "Cmd' (a.k.a. Apple key). Are you wanting a B&W photo or completely black layer with just the eyes showing? To do the second, just "Copy via Layer" (that's Cmd+J -- I think of it as "Jumping" the selected part to it's own layer) the eyes as Cynthia mentioned. Create a new layer below the new eyes-only layer. Use the bucket to dump black...TA DA. Then you can play with the eye color as you wish.

HTH...if not...forget you ever read it ;)....or ask for clarification!

Debbie

Archived