Organizing With Vista Photo Gallery

DDecker

I like keeping my kits together and never found a way to organize my scrapbooking files that worked for me until I started using Vista Photo Gallery. Here is why I like it:

1. I can choose the folders I want to show in the Gallery and not have EVERY image file on the computer show up when I don’t want them.
  2. I can create my own tags and give each file multiple tags, for example a single paper may have a color tag, theme tag, designer tag etc.
  3. I tag each product/kit as I download and unzip it and add tags more as I use the products.
  4. I can search by file name, designer, or key word. Or I can go to that folder and have everything sorted by tag. I can also go to a tag and see everything with that tag type.
  5. Some images I down load are automatically tagged. Not sure how or why but they do! LOL

But the best thing of all? I can drag directly from the photo gallery to Photoshop or PSP! And it’s fast! I no longer need Adobe Bridge or PSP’s Organizer which required different tags for each program! And slow things down.

Wow Dee! I just might have to look into this. I didn't realize that you could choose the folders you wanted to show in the Gallery! The first time I opened it up (almost 2 years ago!), everything on my entire computer began loading and showing up. Scared me to death!

I'll definitely have another look now.

Thanks for sharing this.

I haven't had my laptop very long. And just got my supplies on it, what...within this past week?

But I have all intention of using the Vista tag system. On the XP desktop, I used the Windows shortcuts. This looks even better!

Just gotta start making those tags. When I open my ScrapGirls folder (with all the folders in it of each collection, etc) it looks a bit overwhelming. But, maybe if I just take one collection a day. Then see if I can make it 2 or 3 a day. It'll all get done sometime.

Temporarily...I LOVE how easy the search feature is. And quick! I can type the word "bird" in there and in seconds, any supply that has "bird" in its name will pop up.

Like this one: EHI_LoveyDovey_Emb2_bird

That is one of the birds in Erica's Lovey Dovey collection.

LOVE Vista! :)

Window's 7 is based on Vista so I expect it to keep the tags. I just learned last week that W7 is focused toward tablet PC or Touch Screen technology. I have actually been looking at tablet PC's so I can be a W7 beta tester. The best thing about the tablet?, the pen is housed in the case so you ALWAYS have your 'wacom" with you! How cool is that?!

I started organizing in Vista Photo Gallery. Naturally, I got some tagged with the incorrect tag. Does anyone know how to change the tag to the correct tag and/or delete the incorrect tag? I couldn't find anything in the help.

Wow, I've just spent the last hour or so in Windows Photo Gallery and all I can say is that I'm impressed! All I have is the Pictures Folder (no scrapbooking materials, yet) and I've been tagging right and left. The search feature is fabulous too! I've tried searches and it's found things that I haven't tagged just because the photo is in a certain named folder! Who knew?

I thought I'd start from now and work backwards. So far, I've got all Jan and Feb done! I thought it might be interesting at some point to see which phtos I'd used in a layout, so I made a "Used in Layout" tag.

Tell us some of your more interesting tags!

Great idea which I will use! Right now I'm organizing my scrapbook supplies. I had them done in ACDSee but I got tired of the program always needing to shut down. So far I like Vista organizing a lot especially now that I know how to delete incorrect tags! lol

A used in layout tag is a great idea! I tag each item with the designers initials. I like that I can ctrl+A to select all and give everything in a download the same tag at once!

Dee, I LOVE YOU!

This past November during the height of the changing of the leaves, my sister and I went up to Bear Mountain to take some pictures of the beautiful trees dressed in their autumn finery. On the way back home, we stopped at a place called Blue Mountain in Peekskill, NY. When we were children our parents used to take us on picnics there along with some of our Aunts, Uncles and cousins. As we got older we still went there and our friends came along with us. It had a fabulous lake that was divided into swimming and fishing areas. Picnic tables and firepits for coking, lots of wooded ares to walk around in. And there was this bridge that crossed over the lake at one point where my cousin John would fish from. We always had to wait on hour after eating, or else you could get cramps and drown in the water (at least that is what our parents told us). After breakfast we would always cross the bridge and head into the woods for a long walk. We had so much fun and there are many memories there.

Anyway, I took a lot of photos that day and when I came home I downloaded them to my computer. That was when I was having problems with my pc and finally it crashed and along with it went my photos. I had them backed up, at least I thought that I did, on Carbonite. But they weren't there. I was heartbroken that I could not find them. And of course they had been deleted from my camera.

So the other day I'm on the MB and find your thread on Organizing with Vista Photo Gallery. Wow, didn't know about that. So I go to take a look and there I found photos that I didn't know were there. And, SURPRISE, there were my pictures of Blue Mountain that I thought I had lost. You can't imagine the thrill of finding them there. I thought that they were gone for good and that I would have to go back next Autumn and take more photos. But to me, that just wouldn't be the same as doing it the first time.

I can't wait to see what other photos are there in the photo gallery that I thought were lost. Thank you so much for pointing this out, as I never would have found it on my own. I've been hating Vista so much, that the only thing I liked about it was the search engine. Now, I'm liking it a lot more.

Just wanted you and everyone else to know that there are hidden delights even in the strangest of places.

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered this thread, and have got to say that I discovered the Vista Windows photo gallery and all the tags the other day, and am using it for photos. ACDSee and photos seems to not like my new vista machine, although all the scrap girls stuff seems to work fine. And I discovered that many of my PSE4 tags followed with them, like was mentioned above. I'm going to see how this goes for photos, and who knows, maybe I'l switch over the scrap stuff too! All 100 GB of it!! LOL!

Thank you Dee! I have been hopelessly (emphasis on hopeless) trying to organize with Adobe and this is much easier! I didn't even know that I had this capability already in my computer! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! (I also like to keep my kits together! This is great!!)

OK, I think I may have duplicated a ton of photos between my Picture folder and my Windows Vista Gallery. How can I tell if the photos are there twice? I have enough photos on my computer - I sure don't need to have them on there two times. :(

If I haven't said it before -- I LOVE this site and everyone on it!

A few days ago, I read about Windows Photo Gallery in another MB thread -- never even knew it existed! I was wishing there would be more information about it, because I'd like to use it to organize my scrap supplies...and lo and behold -- this thread popped up today!

You Gals ROCK!

I was thinking that I was carefully saving all my supplies to my EHD (and I am), but in the process of tagging photos in the Windows Gallery in Vista, I also discovered that all my supplies are there, but they are under the date they were created by the designer. I am not sure how this happens, but my tech support guy says it just does and I suppose I could delete them, but why not take advantage of what appeared as if by magic. I don't have to have my EHD or a thumb drive with me when I am away from home. So I am doing some quick basic tags of designer names and collections, then I will retag all of those at a later date. For those of you who thought your supplies were only on your EHD, check some of the dates especially from before you got your computer. You could be as surprised as me.

• 1 month later...

Duh, I had NO idea there was a photo gallery that came with Vista. But how do you access it? Where is it on my computer? I'd love to play around with it. BTW, there is a "Vista Photo Gallery" I found on the net.....for $25, but I don't think this is what ya'll are talking about. Thanks so much for your help.

For those who may not have found the Photo Gallery or other Vista features in their Programs menu, try taking advantage of the "Instant Search Box" on the Start Menu.

Click the Vista Start symbol, and just start typing into the Instant Search Box. Vista finds all the matches, usually with just a couple of letters. I almost never search/scroll through the Programs menu list anymore... I can start Excel by just typing Exc and hitting return, instead of Start, Programs, scroll to Microsoft Office and click, scroll to Excel and click.

I've searched for a Windows PowerToy to see if there's one to add the same capability to my XP machine; no luck so far.

You got me on the bandwagon, and it's awsome!!!! Thanks for the suggestion. Now....need to tag everything. EEEK

Thanks Dee for the information......This Windows Photo Gallery is awesome! I like this program because it lets YOU decide which folders to place in your gallery.....this is the quickest, easiest, and safest way to my photos which now reside on a dedicated 500 G external hard drive. One click and I have all the pictures at my fingertip!

AND....(drum roll)....all you have to do is drag a photo into PS or PSE to open it! How easy is that?

Love this message board!

Archived