Big Job

SandiC.

My supplies have been adding up a lot lately, ever since all the great Christmas stuff came out. I've been getting just about everything I see that I like. Well, that's fine and dandy, but man, have my downloads been a mess. I hadn't even gotten things unzipped for a month. And I had some stuff on my HD and EHD1 (which is now dedicated to photos only) and EHD2. I have finally gotten every single download unzipped. Many have been appropriately put in the right folders in the right files. My HD download folder now has zero SG supplies in it. I am in the process of moving over 9 GB of files form EHD1 to EHD2 for permanent storage. I am also moving photos and tagging them. Many duplicates have been deleted. This is a huge task, but I'm moving along very well with it. Now I need to do the same things with my "real" paper files too. LOL. I think after church, today will be organization central. Long overdue. Any and all words of encouragement will be much appreciated.

It can be so overwhelming if you leave your files for too long and there are so many to clean up! I left mine for a few months last year and with just the club kit and the freebies I had a lot of work to do! If you just sit down and do it, you will be done before you know it. You will feel a lot better about too!

I feel your pain Sandi! We just bought a new computer as well as a new EHD and PSE7, so I am doing the same thing-sorting, tagging and deleting duplicates. It is a big job, but I keep thinking ahead to how much more efficient it will be in the longrun.

Hang in there-we can do it!

I know how time consuming it can be to get everything

organized and tagged. But, while doing it I had a chance

to see everything and managed to find some stuff I had

forgotten I had!

It was like getting new things all over

again and the satisfaction when you finish will make it

worth the time!

Sandi, I so understand. I am working on tagging all my supplies in Picasa so that they are easier to find. It is a big job. Just sitting down and working on it will get it done though.

Gee, Sandi, I'm worn out just reading your post! I recently moved all my scrapping and photos to an EHD from the C drive and discovered (whack on the side of the head) that all my tags in the PSE Organizer don't work anymore. So I just downloaded a trial version of ACDSee and playing with that. If I don't like that, I'll try Picasa. But I'm overwhelmed with the task before me! How did I get so much STUFF???!!!

Wow!

Good for you!

I'm not as caught up as you. :(

Now that I'm using my laptop...I have all of my files in the proper places...but no tags in place yet.

I function well enough just going to the collections and getting what I need...but I need to start tagging.

Sigh.

lol

That's a lot of ScrapGirls items with no tags.

I have cheated a couple of times and typed a word in the search function. It brought up things in a rather useful manner.

But...I still want/need my tags.

Let us know when you are finished.

Make sure you jump up and down with several Yeehaws thrown in. lol Make me jealous so I'll jump on getting mine done soon.

Deal?

:)

Somebody else said it: although organizing and putting away can be tedious, it can also be fun to "discover" the stuff you forgot you had. I know how you feel though; if I let it get too backed up I lose the motivation to even start which creates its own self-perpetuating cycle!

I've worked for another two and 1/2 hours and I'm brain dead. Its long tedious work. You are all right though, I've found stuff I didn't even know I had. Sometimes, I have a hard time figuring out where to put something, it just doesn't seem to fit into one category or another. I've discovered a lot of brushes I've never used so that is a great find. Also some SS stuff like recipes cards. I got those ages ago and have never used them. Ok, quick nap before the chat. See you later.

Guest dawnsmemories

Good for you, I have been slowly working on this... I have worked at least 1 hour a day over the last 4 days and still have a LONG ways to go!

Good luck!

Dawn

You go girl!!! I have been putting this task off for way too long now ! But with the convention coming up, I really need to get my photos and supplies in order! And you gave me a great idea of putting all my photos on a separate EHD!! Time to go shopping for my 2nd EHD

Its amazing how screwed up my files were. I keep finding things. I've found a zip file from one collection in a floder with another. I do have all the folders yet to be put away into one file now. And everything is unzipped. and I've just about got all the Sg stuff out of the folders that have things from other sources. I made great progress, but nowhere near done yet. nd it is a lot like Christmas. I was getting to where I dreaded trying to scrap, because I didn't know where to find what I was looking for. Now I have a better handle on it.

LOL. I have to quit now and go to bed. Work early in the morning. I did get my font folder all cleared out and am doing a pretty good jobe of separating my SG supplies from my non SG supplies. I quit even looking for other supplies quite awhile ago, but do have some things from last year that I really like too. Don't want to just delete them, but I do want to keep them separate. Just in case. Maybe in another year i can hit that delete button.

lol

I have a tiny bit of non SG items from my pre SG days. I deleted a large amount of items though. But, I didn't bring any of those nonSG items to my laptop.

I guess if there was ever some reason to use them, they are on the desktop for me to get to. I almost don't see it happening though.

I'm about to go through my SG folder. I will then scroll through and make sure that every collection folder (and others like brushes, templates etc) has the marketing picture on top (hanging out). Then I will start with the first one and make tags for it. That will be one collection done! lol

Wonder how long it will take me.

I guess I won't worry about that. I just need to start.

Thanks for the motivation.

Don't forget to holler when you finish. ;)

WTG Sandi! That's a big job. I recently reinstalled PSE and Bridge due to frequent crashes. I hate to say "out loud" that it's working better (should crash any minute now, right?). But since having Bridge back, I'm using all sorts of things that I wasn't before -- just because I can see them easily and find them easily. So scrapping is going to be so much more fun when you get this project done. You'll be working with tons of new stuff and tons of old stuff that you can now find! What a gift to yourself (and all of us who get to enjoy your LOs in the Gallery).

Keep up the good work!

Debbie

I can say from personal experience (just finished catching back up on my tagging last night), that it is sooo nice to have it caught up. I was getting so I hesitated to turn on my pse because I just knew it was all there waiting for me!

Have fun rediscovering all your stuff!

Great Job Sandi! Sounds like you got done a lot of work today...nothing like a day off to do more work. But now you will be able to use all the great things you found, just like found money in a coat pocket from last year or an unwrapped present. I had to do the same thing after Michael got me the new laptop, but I am still organizing, but with things in the EHD and with a much larger memory, well it makes it easier and now I try to do unzips and filing every two weeks or so, that way I won't get so backed up and then feel like I have to "work" to have a great time. Glad you made such headway. Have a great day at work tomorrow.

Sandi,

good for you for attacking your problem and for inspiring the rest of it.

I have been dreading working my first EHD. Like you, I need to separate files into 2 EHDs.

I was making good progress on organizing my physical craft things, and then somehow a week went by with no progress.

Oh, well, slow and steady!

Keep us posted on how it is going.

It's a pain to have to go through and organize, but it will be wonderful when you get it all done. Plus, as you're going through it all, it's almost like getting new stuff all over again, which is fun! Now I think I'll go do a little tagging and organizing - you've inspired me to get going on mine.

Archived