42 replies to this topic

#1 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

Ok, Jan has been singing the praises of Kindle and I was convinced I wanted one, so when they announced Kindle 2 yesterday I preordered mine this morning. I'm pretty excited to get it. Next to photography and scrapping, my next favorite pastime is reading. Its not convienient for me to use the library, and I'm tired of buying books, reading them and then getting rid of them. Ususally I pass on my books to friends or family, or sell them on ebay, but still, electronic books have a lot of appeal to me. Since Jan has been so enthusiastic about this device I figured it was time for me to make the change. I love the feel of a book, the cover, the paper, but for just everyday reading, this seems to be ideal. Once I get it, I'll let you know how I like it. I think the purchase price is a little high, but over time, I know the savings will be there. I buy a LOT of books, so this will pay for itself in less than a year. Thanks for a great recommendation Jan.
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 ScrappingForever

ScrappingForever

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

Yaaay Sandi! I totally know you will love it! No doubt at all!

BTW, did you see the thread I posted yesterday in the Real Life section? Lots of people on KindleBoards are selling off their Kindle 1s to get the Kindle 2. If you're interested in getting one at a cheaper price instead, you might want to check that out.

Mike and I won't be upgrading. There just aren't enough new features to convince me that I need it. Of course, the text to voice might be kinda spiffy! The thing could read to me while I'm stitching! :D
Jan

#3 Kricket

Kricket

• Members
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

Sandi,

I was peeking that the website yesterday but the cost
is holding me back. I'll be interested in hearing how you
like it.

I read a lot, and it is hard for me to get to the
library. I know I'd save money in the long run because
I do buy a lot of books.

Hope you get yours soon!
Addicted Scrapper "Do not go where the path may lead, go where there is no path and leave a trail" RW Emerson
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Shelbi

Shelbi

Grumpy Lumpy Scrapping Junkie

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

Yaaay Sandi! I totally know you will love it! No doubt at all!

BTW, did you see the thread I posted yesterday in the Real Life section? Lots of people on KindleBoards are selling off their Kindle 1s to get the Kindle 2. If you're interested in getting one at a cheaper price instead, you might want to check that out.

Mike and I won't be upgrading. There just aren't enough new features to convince me that I need it. Of course, the text to voice might be kinda spiffy! The thing could read to me while I'm stitching! :D

I went on amazon this morning to check it out.
I really really really want one but find I can't afford it right now.
I didn't see your post about people selling their previous one, I might have to check that out too.

#5 Reyn

Reyn

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

I went to check out the used ones and made an offer on one. I am now waiting to hear if I got it or not. Someone else made an offer also so I am now waiting to see which one she chooses.
Posted Image

I scrap with PSE 5 & Vista. Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 goodqueenbee

goodqueenbee

Scrappin' my life...

• Members
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

I will check your Kindle out in OCT.

I was interested that many of my fav authors are not in the list yet. I also noted you can send your own papers by email to read with it... this should be handy for DH to take notes for his messages and not have flying pages like the last time we went to Ellensburg for a meeting, LOL. He might be convinced to KINDLE when I remind him of that event, LOL!

I am wondering if I can send pdf copy chapters to read on there. Should be fun, Sandi! It looks really geeky cool!

Grishom doesn't have any yet and only a few Nicolas Sparks are listed. Oh well...

gallery_8693_2271_6883.jpg

My BLOG My GALLERY I scrap in CC7 on my MACbook, or whatever is available!

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gifButton_Published.png

#7 Reyn

Reyn

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

Boo-hoo! The first person bought the kindle I was looking at. So I guess I will wait a little while longer. I couldn't really afford it right now anyway.
Posted Image

#8 ScrappingForever

ScrappingForever

• Members
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:29 AM

Keep checking out KindleBoards for people to put theirs up for sale. I have a feeling this is going to go on for a while. ;)

Barb, it's hard to say when books get added to the Kindle. I'm kind of surprised the Grishom isn't on there yet, actually, but Clancy just had his books added, and JK Rowling has said that she will never allow the Harry Potter books to be made into eBooks. I totally don't understand that attitude. Most of us who own the DTV of HP would gladly also buy the eBook version to have them on the Kindle. Doesn't she want more sales???

Anyway, the world of eBooks will continue to grow and grow, so don't worry. Oh, and yes, you can send PDFs to the Kindle. :)
Jan

#9 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

It came and I absolutely love it! It is so easy to use and the downloads are so fast!!!!! just seconds. The only hard part was the instructions for registering were a little hidden, but once I got that its just about the coolest thing ever. I have one book that has different size print on each page, with a lot of pictures and so I'm having to change the font size every page, but other than that little hassle, just the reading is wonderful. its a great size, just a little larger than a paperback, but thinner and lighter. It charged very fast and i think the battery time is super. I got a nice leather cover for it so it really still has that feel of opening a book. I got 4 books for about $30. That's beans compared to what I usually spend at the bookstore. This will pay for itself in just a very few months. Now my big dilema.....read or scrap.
Posted Image

#10 JenW

JenW

Just call me Scrapalicious!

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Personal Statement:"Blessed are the children of scrapbookers, for they shall inherit the scrapbooks."

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

I haven't heard of Kindle yet. I think I might have to go check it out. Where is the link to your previous threads on the subject?

#11 Shelbi

Shelbi

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:28 AM

Glad to hear you like it Sandi.
It is defiantly on my wish list.

#12 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:15 AM

Jen, go to Amazon. You can't miss it. Or ask Jan, she'll tell you. Not sure where the previous thread was, maybe in the same forum. It a great e-reader.
Posted Image

#13 Kricket

Kricket

• Members
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

Sandi,

Thanks for letting us know about the Kindle.
I have put a few bids in on e bay but not been able
to win yet.

I have been putting $ away for an ipod touch and
now can't decide which I want the most!

Have fun reading!
Addicted Scrapper "Do not go where the path may lead, go where there is no path and leave a trail" RW Emerson
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 ScrappingForever

ScrappingForever

• Members
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

Yaaay Sandi! Shall I say "I told you so!" now? LOL

Kricket - I highly recommend that you check out Kindleboards.com. There is a category on the board that's called something like Bartering and Trading - people who are buying the Kindle 2 are selling their Kindle 1, so you can find some deals on there without having to go through the hassle of bidding on eBay.

Okay, who else can I convert? ;) Jen? If you're a huge reader, you need to have a Kindle. ;)
Jan

#15 sarabethp

sarabethp

Where's my Super Suit?

• Members
  • 5,062 posts
  • Personal Statement:Waiting on God's timing. For he has glorious things planned for me. Jeremiah 29:11

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

Yaaay Sandi! Shall I say "I told you so!" now? LOL

Kricket - I highly recommend that you check out Kindleboards.com. There is a category on the board that's called something like Bartering and Trading - people who are buying the Kindle 2 are selling their Kindle 1, so you can find some deals on there without having to go through the hassle of bidding on eBay.

Okay, who else can I convert? ;) Jen? If you're a huge reader, you need to have a Kindle. ;)

You've already converted me :D I just need to get me a used one to start with. I will be haunting the kindleboards for a little bit here.
Posted Image

#16 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

Eden, oh, Eden. where are you Sweetie? I know you're interested. I'll pm you and let you know I'm giving this two thumbs up. I just love it!!!!! Last night I read one book for about 30 minutes, then with the push of a button, read something else for awhile. Just amazing. I really like the look of the screen and the print. It is actually easier and clearer than print, especially paperbacks. Its very confortable to hold and light. Its easy to negotiate, has a built in dictionary too. Now I know why Jan is trying to convince us. Move over Jan, I'm on the Kindle bandwagon with you.
Posted Image

#17 A-dab-adu

A-dab-adu

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Eden, oh, Eden. where are you Sweetie? I know you're interested. I'll pm you and let you know I'm giving this two thumbs up. I just love it!!!!! Last night I read one book for about 30 minutes, then with the push of a button, read something else for awhile. Just amazing. I really like the look of the screen and the print. It is actually easier and clearer than print, especially paperbacks. Its very confortable to hold and light. Its easy to negotiate, has a built in dictionary too. Now I know why Jan is trying to convince us. Move over Jan, I'm on the Kindle bandwagon with you.

Hi Sandi, First time checking the "new messages" since this morning! Wow! So, you really like this thing? Let me ask you.....Can you adjust the light level,
meaning if you're reading it outside can you boost it? Is there any glare?
Posted Image

**MST PaintStrip Embells ** STI Watercolors CollMini (paintbrush)**

My Limited Gallery
Blog- This Looks like fun

as of 9/11/08: 127 layouts done

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 Reyn

Reyn

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:56 PM

It's official. I am now a proud owner of the Kindle 1! Now just waiting for it to get here.
Posted Image

#19 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

Eden, with this particular technology, you don't need to adjust light outdoors. its actually better than paper as far as reading in bright light. the background is a dull grayish color, but is very easy on the eyes to read, like I said, better than paper.
Posted Image

#20 ScrappingForever

ScrappingForever

• Members
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:04 AM

Yes, this isn't backlit like a computer screen. There no inside lighting on it at all. The technology that's used is called e-Ink, and it's meant to mimic the look of print as much as possible. So this means that you don't need to worry about a glare when you're outside, or it being too bright. The only thing you can't do is read in the dark. ;)
Jan

#21 dukebballfan

dukebballfan

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

Grats ladies on your Kindles! I would love to have one but am having a really hard time justifying it to my husband. He knows that I love to have my books piled around me where I can see them and really love the feel of a book in my hands, but the portability and practicality of the Kindle is too hard for me to pass up. I have been getting all of my books from the library lately, so buying the books would be another expense I don't need, but I did remind my husband of my increasing allergies to older books (must be that musty smell). Maybe one day! ScrapGirls is already causing me to forget the limit on my budget. ^_^
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

Mala, you are going to love your Kindle. Jan, thank you for getting us all hooked. With the cover on it, it does feel like a book, so I think its just about perfect.
Posted Image

#23 Reyn

Reyn

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

I have already ordered a skin and a cover. I think I am addicted and haven't even received it yet! I have been on the kindle boards reading everything I can get my hands on. I am so excited. My DH tried to talk me into getting the K2 but I just couldn't let go of that much $ because I knew I would want a skin and case and books and... So I decided to get one off ebay. I was a little scared to buy one from the kindle boards just because the seller of the one I wanted only had 2 posts and had just registered with the site. DH felt more comfortable buying from ebay. But, I just can't wait to get it. I think I should get it by Friday. I will let you know how I like it.

Jan, thanks for bringing this up. I have always been a reader but the library wasn't a good option because I forget to take them back. I just stuck to Books a Million but now I have books running out of my ears.
Posted Image

#24 Shelbi

Shelbi

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

It's official. I am now a proud owner of the Kindle 1! Now just waiting for it to get here.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really enjoy hearing how much you ladies are enjoying it, makes me want one even more.

#25 Reyn

Reyn

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

I got my Kindle 1 on Thurs afternoon. Let me say I can't put this thing down. I absolutely love it. Baseball started this week so i have taken it to the ballfield twice. I am getting alot of questions about it. i have only had 2 people that even knew what it was. But now there are several that want one.

Thanks Jan for introducing this to me. I absolutely LOVE it. I got the Olga skin (it is so beautiful) and have a M-edge cover coming. I can't wait to get it. Now I need a Borsa Bella Bag and I will be set.

Did I say I love this?!! :wub:
Posted Image

#26 Shelbi

Shelbi

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

LOL!!!

#27 ScrappingForever

ScrappingForever

• Members
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

Oh Mala! You made me LOL! I am so proud to have been an enabler and introduce you to the wonderful Kindle! Believe me, you will truly get to the point where you won't leave home without it, if you're not there already! ;)

Isn't it fun to introduce others to the Kindle! That happens every place we go! People see it and are intrigued and just can't help but stop and ask about it. Now, if only we got a commission! :D

Are you going to join in on any of the Book Klubs on the Kindle Boards? I'm doing 2 right now, or trying to. One for my DH's book, In Her Name and the one for the second book in the Outlander series. Of course, I haven't even had time to visit the Kindle Boards in the past couple of days, so gotta get caught up! What's your username over there, btw?
Jan

#28 Shelbi

Shelbi

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

Jan I forgot, did you say you could get books from the library?
can you explain how that works again?
thanks

#29 Reyn

Reyn

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

I am already taking it everywhere. I read in Chili's yesterday while Mom went to the restroom. I am finding that I read every spare min. I have.

I have been lurking over there. I haven't introduced myself yet. My user name is Reyn. I am going to purchase the 1st outlander book today so I am hoping I can catch up so I can participate in the book klubs.

My DH thinks I have gone crazy! But I think he is starting to get curious about it too. He asked today if there were any books he might like. I told him very quickly that if he wanted to read he had to order his own! LOL!
Posted Image

#30 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Mala, I'm so glad you got your Kindle, don't you just love it? I love mine, carry it everywhere. I love that I turn it off and then when I'm ready to pick it up again its on the same page, right where I left off. And the instant shopping for new books is amazing. I was out shopping today, saw two books I'd like, and now I just go and buy it, download it FAST, and am reading. I'm uploading some music today to have music to read by. Wow! Its just an amazing toy.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users