Ehd Is Having A Problem

SandiC.

Ok, finally got into all those files that were recovered. Mostly corrupted. Some were salvagable, but so much is missing, I think the most efficient way to get everything back is to redownload. All of my organization is gone. All those files I set up are gone. I've redownloaded all the current purchases that are still active, but I think I've lost about a year's worth of freebies, including all the Christmas things. I'm pretty sure Angie will be able to get me fixed up, but its going to take me forever to get all this reorganized.

Oh, Sandi. So sorry. Luckily we have a great company to work with. I wonder about the freebies though - if there's a way to ever get those back. Seems like there's a grab bag available for purchase with all the freebies...

Hi Sandi,

I'm so sorry you have lost all your stuff. What a pain. I thought I would mention to you that you may want to consider a terastation. I have a 1TB one and this is basically how it works. My brother is an IT guy, so he is the one that recommended this to me. Last year when my computer was completely full, had no more hard drive space, I had to do something and wasn't confident in the everyday EHD. It is like an EHD, but it has 4 separate 250G hard drives that mirror each other. You set up one with your stuff and the others mirror the stuff, that way if one or two of them go bad, you have two backups. He has used these for years in big businesses to back up very important files and docs (this is what he gets paid for), and has only seen one go bad. If the drive goes bad, you just take that one out and replace it and have all your stuff mirrored on the others.

All of my photos (over 20,000) and all my scrap supplies are on it, and it's set up on my network,so I can work from my laptop or my desktop. Another advantage is that recently when we had to replace our desktop, it was really easy b/c all of our important stuff was on the terastation, so I didnt' have to move stuff over from old destop to new desktop. It was already on the terastation, all I had to do was set up the new computer on the network.

I may not have explained this with just the right techie words, but this is the gist of it. I bought mine last February for around $600. I would imagine the prices have come down some. They came down during the period that I was looking until I bought one. Anyway, you might ask your techie guy about it. It's worth considering. Mine has been great so far. No problems, easy to use. I also back up on a small portable ehd (My Passport), and I try to do DVD's. My brother even says that you still need to have 3 backups. Oh, and I do Carbonite also, but Carbonite will not back up the Terastation at this time. They consider it an EHD. HTH!

Elisha, I have a Seagate Go 250GB EHD, and I want to do exactly that - put PSE and my scrap files on it and make it portable. I dont' mind it being slower, but I also want to be able to access my actions and tools that I've bought from SG. How did you set it up to work?

Hmm. It's been a while, and I've since taken PSE off. I'm using it now primarily as a back up/storage.

If I remember right, you have to install the FreeAgent tools to your computer. Then you have to run the Start Creedo exe program, which I think will run a mini OS from the ehd. There are programs to choose from. One of them will install your programs on the ehd, but I think that program is a trial and it will stop working after a while (seems like it cost $30 or so to purchase). It is limited to what programs you can install, but I was able to get PSE4 on it. I don't remember if it pulled it from my desktop or if I had to put in the disk. And as far as styles and actions, I think I had to install them additionally onto the ehd itself.

When I get time, I might run through it again, but I think you can figure it out by exploring the drive and the program that comes pre-installed on it.

Some food for thought on this topic.

You should check with the software manufacturer before you set up your software to run from the EHD. Typically they frown on doing it because you can maybe run the applications on more than one computer (I'm sure you're not planning on doing this but the capability may be there) thus breaking the software licensing agreement.

2nd, if you do do it, be prepared the software may run much slower. This is due to the fact that the computer will have to access it over a USB cable vs. being part of the internal system.

Why do I know this? Because when I bought my first EHD it was one of the things I was considering doing until my techie friend really talked me out of it. His words were ... especially since you're using those bloated Adobe products, it will be very slow....and yes, he uses the same 'bloated adobe products'.

What he advised me to do was to buy a 3.5" internal hard drive and an enclosure for it. Format the drive and use it as an EHD. Reasons were simple ...

1. more bang for the buck ... internal HDs are cheaper than external

2. in many cases the internal HDs have better warrantees.

3. I can use this set up for working not just storage.

I purchased my 1TB internal HD from newegg.com for about $120 and the dual external enclosure for it (already had a 320GB set up that was also running out of space) for about $50. In comparison, when my mother had to do this (she didn't have the luxury of waiting for newegg to ship and needed the drive ASAP), she spent $120 on a 320GB Free Agent Go.

Sandi, hope you get everything back up and running. Sounds like you're in for a painfully long haul in resetting things up at this point.

Denise

Hi Sandi,

I'm so sorry you have lost all your stuff. What a pain. I thought I would mention to you that you may want to consider a terastation. I have a 1TB one and this is basically how it works. My brother is an IT guy, so he is the one that recommended this to me. Last year when my computer was completely full, had no more hard drive space, I had to do something and wasn't confident in the everyday EHD. It is like an EHD, but it has 4 separate 250G hard drives that mirror each other. You set up one with your stuff and the others mirror the stuff, that way if one or two of them go bad, you have two backups. He has used these for years in big businesses to back up very important files and docs (this is what he gets paid for), and has only seen one go bad. If the drive goes bad, you just take that one out and replace it and have all your stuff mirrored on the others.

All of my photos (over 20,000) and all my scrap supplies are on it, and it's set up on my network,so I can work from my laptop or my desktop. Another advantage is that recently when we had to replace our desktop, it was really easy b/c all of our important stuff was on the terastation, so I didnt' have to move stuff over from old destop to new desktop. It was already on the terastation, all I had to do was set up the new computer on the network.

I may not have explained this with just the right techie words, but this is the gist of it. I bought mine last February for around $600. I would imagine the prices have come down some. They came down during the period that I was looking until I bought one. Anyway, you might ask your techie guy about it. It's worth considering. Mine has been great so far. No problems, easy to use. I also back up on a small portable ehd (My Passport), and I try to do DVD's. My brother even says that you still need to have 3 backups. Oh, and I do Carbonite also, but Carbonite will not back up the Terastation at this time. They consider it an EHD. HTH!

I've never heard of a Terastation. How would that work if you don't own a networking? I only own one computer at this time and I do have an EHD. I can see however, I will need to get another one soon...in about a couple to 3 months time.

• 4 weeks later...

Sandi! I just found this thread, and I am so sorry you had all this trouble!! Yuk!!! But luckily Scrap Girls really is the greatest and I'm sure you'll be good to go in no time!

A word of caution: If you are looking at Seagate, make sure it's Vista compatible. I have a Seagate, and although it stores stuff fine, it is not compatible with Vista to run the automatic back ups like it did on the XP. I think I'm going to look into a new one so I can go back to auto updating.

By now you probably have everything back!

Archived