Essentials2- Is It Worth It?

mrstucci

Hi- I am a PSE6 user on a Mac. I have looked at this software from onOneSoftware and can't decide if it's worth it or not. The one part that I am particularly interested in is the cutout one. I always have trouble cutting a person, etc. out of a photo!!! I was hoping that this bit of software would make it work like magic! So if anyone has any opinion one way or the other, please share them here with me (and others who are reading this post). Take care everyone! Judy

Hi.

I've seen a couple of posts from people who really want these but haven't heard from anyone who has them. They are quite pricey which is the main reason I haven't gotten them...they look awesome! If you are a NAPP member, I believe there is a discount if you purchase them.

NAPP is National Assoc. of Photoshop Professionals. It's around $100 for a year membership and you get Photoshop User mag for that year, access to their videos on the website at photoshopuser.com and you qualify for alot of discounts with Adobe, OnOne, and lots of others.

Although currently using CS4, I purchased OnOne Essentials for PSE 5 when I was using that. I purchased because of the extracting capability. I never "mastered" it, and never got good results. I find using the Lasso Tool with a Wacom Pen works much better.

I did like the "make it better" portion of he program. It did enhance quite nicely. And the frames were neat to have also. Isn't there a demo of the software to try it out? I know there are trial versions of their sofware for CS, but not sure about PSE.

I looked and didn't see demos for the one I would get. And if the cut it out feature didn't wow you, well, then I doubt it's worth the price. Will have to practice with the lasso tool and maybe I will get a wacom tablet someday! Thanks, Judy

I looked and didn't see demos for the one I would get. And if the cut it out feature didn't wow you, well, then I doubt it's worth the price. Will have to practice with the lasso tool and maybe I will get a wacom tablet someday! Thanks, Judy

The extraction tool works on color - so you have to select all of the colors you want to keep and those that you want to discard. And then it takes quite a while to extract and if you have similar colors (say a blue shirt and a blue sky) it doesn't work well at all...

Least I wasn't able to use it....

These are the kinds of reviews that I wanted so that I didn't spend money on something that didn't really help me in creating my digi layouts. Thanks for the input and I will continue working on mastering the lasso and other tools within PSE6! Judy

Archived