Price Comparissons For Home Vs. Online Printing?

I think I want to stay with 12 x 12 pages and was wondering if anyone has done a price comparisson on buying a wide format printer and doing it at home vs. having an online company print them for you? I would be doing page by page, not an online photo book.

Well, if you factor in the price of the printer, I think you'll save money having them printed. I print mine at home though. I love the convenience and the quality. I print posters (13x19) for the kids school projects too. They're learning Photoshop at an early age. ;) I have the Epson R1800 BTW.

I've searched the web for that kind of information and haven't found much. I did find one consumer that had posted to some message board that he did a cost comparison with the wide format printer he had and it came out that the home printing was a bit more expensive. But like April said, I really would like the convenience of doing it at home. A wide format printer is something I'm still considering.

I think it is a tad more to print at home, but the convenience for craft projects would be totally worth it. I am waiting till I can get my own.

Guest Happy99

I have heard that unless you do the recycle ink thing, it is more expensive to print at home. Or - you own the Kodak printer - but I do not own a kodak printer so I have no way to say. What I do know is that is cheaper to print at Costco at this time.

I only print my layouts and photos with this printer and use an inexpensive laser printer for my everyday printing-- that saves a lot. I buy my inks with coupons, and from what I've figured, the price is about the same per page, though it does depend on the amount of color and such on your page. When you factor in the price of the printer however, it makes it more expensive. I've had the wide format printer for 31/2 years, so the cost per print has got to be coming down ;).

April, where do you find coupons for Epson inks? We have an older model Epson (1280) and I just love it! The convenience is wonderful. I print layouts at home but photos at the photofinisher unless I need a strange size photo or am in a hurry to finish something. I also print my journaling for paper pages on it since it's semi-archival inks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi: I have a friend who is a professional photo developer (for large companies and high level professional photographers.) I was considering getting a printer, but he said any pics printed at home will eventually fade (even Epson) unless light NEVER gets to them. When you actually have things developed, they don't fade. Like I said he a good friend and certainly doesn't need my business. I have been having him develop my pics for years both film and now digital.

Also, he showed me the difference between digital photos with a 12 megapixel digital camera and a throw away Kodak camera (same picture) and the throw away camera had more depth to it. He said most people can't see the difference. It was actually amazing to see the difference. He said they are getting better and better, but as of now only the real high end cameras take pics the closest to film camera pictures.

Also, have you noticed when you take pictures and have them printed or developoed, you don't get the whole picture? Only full frame cameras give you the whole picture. Try to move back after you composed the picture. You can always crop out what you don't want.

I am just learning digital scrapbooking. Not as easy as it looks.

Dollykatz

Archived