Any Gimp Users?

Heather09

I love scrapping with CS3 and use it on my primary PC, but there are times with either my DH or DD are using that PC, which leaves me the backup laptop. My supplies are on an EHD, so I can get to those on either one. The only problem is, I can't use CS3 on the backup because the CD drive isn't working, so I can't install it. I'm wondering if GIMP might be an option for me and I can scrapbook on the backup PC. Anyone a GIMP user? Is it possible to use it and CS3?

Hey Heather! I have GIMP and have played with it a bit. There is actually a version called GIMP Portable that I put on my EHD that I can launch on any Windows PC (I've used it at work!). You can save your layout as a PSD and switch between programs. I think the only problem I had was with my text, it was simplified when I made it in GIMP and opened it in PSE5, but that might have been something I did :)

• 1 year later...

Also, if your DH or DD are not using Photoshop, then your license permits installation on another computer, such as a laptop. The two copies cannot be in use by different people, or at the same time.

Of course, if the laptop is not as powerful, GIMP may be a very good choice. I played with it a bit, and it's quite useful, without spending nearly as much money.

I'm a GIMP fan and have been using it for about 4 years. Gimp is my primary program tho I use it in conjunction with both CS2 and PSP. It is very compatible with both programs. There are a lot of great free sites with how to's for Gimp users. Feel free to pm me with any specific questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Gimp is the software I use. I like it and it seems to do most of what I see describe in the tutorials here. I don't know if you can take your layouts back and forth between programs, although you can export to a jpeg or png format with all the layers, so perhaps it is not too hard.

Hiya! I'm using GIMP over here, and finding it to be a lot like my dear PSP7 (which I have on a thumb drive.... somewhere. Hopefully I'll find it when I move.)

I don't know if I'll keep using it after I find my thumb drive, but it is not hindering my creativity at all currently. I would definitely recommend it.

Archived