Carbonate Question

OK I have finally stopped procrastinating and have carbonate s-l-o-w-l-y doing my first back up. Guess I have a lot more files than I thought. Anyhow my question is - when I back up using Nortan to my external hard drive it just makes a copy of anything new. So for instance if I move a picture from one file to another it just makes another copy of it and I end up with more than one copy of the picture just in two different places. I end up going in and eliminating it from the drive so as not to take up more space. Does Carbonate adjust to the new file and eliminate the old? So I just moved all my pictures from a file that says SG52 to the picture files for 2009. Will there be a file of them under 2009 pictures and Scrap Girls 52 in the carbonate file or just one place?

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you are moving your stuff to an external hard drive? Carbonite does not yet back up external drives, just internal ones, so if you want your things backed up, you will need to make sure they are on your internal drives.

Well I must have been as clear as mud in asking this question.

- I do realize that Carbonate does not do external hard drives

- before carbonate (and now in addition to) my files are backed up by Norton to an external hard drive. If I move a picture from file A to File B the Norton back up leaves it in both files not erasing it so to speak from file A so I have two copies taking up double the space and I go in manually and removed the one I don't want.

- I'm wondering if Carbonate removes the picture from file A and moves it to File B or if stays in both files.

Any clearer?

In my experience, Carbonite doesn't move anything. It simply makes a copy onto their own server (or whatever it is called...it is backed up on their space). So you have your original only on your hard drive and they have your copy on their network. Does that make sense?

Pat, Carbonite regularly goes in and updates your backup including any changes to file location and such. That being said, I might hold off on moving a bunch of stuff until your initial backup is done. Simply for the sake of speed. Does that help answer your question?

Yes thanks!

Pat, Carbonite regularly goes in and updates your backup including any changes to file location and such. That being said, I might hold off on moving a bunch of stuff until your initial backup is done. Simply for the sake of speed. Does that help answer your question?

Yes thanks!

BTW, Pat - it took 40 days (very biblical - lol) to back up all my stuff....30g. I'm sure you have a ton more, so don't be discouraged by how slow it is. A lot has to do with the UPLOAD speed of your server, too; mine might be slower since I'm out of the country (not sure what that has to do with it, my that's my theory and I'm stickin' to it - lol). Anyway, I definitely feel great knowing it's all backed up!! Carbonite seems to back up the smaller files first; if you want your 'more important' files backed up sooner, there's an option for that. Right click on the file and you should see an option for Carbonite. There should be an option 'back this file up asap'. If it's not there, (I don't see that option for me right now, but then again, all my files are backed up) then go to Computer>Carbonite back up drive and select pending files. Eventually you'll find that option (aren't I SO helpful?) ;)

Oh, yeah, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Archived