Elements Upgrade

podiumchick

I really can't advise you about upgrading to PSE 7, because PSE 7 is the first PSE program I've had and I just can't compare it with the other 2 versions. Just wanted to tell you that it runs perfectly with Vista 64 bit.

And I guess I should add that it's almost always been my software philosophy to go with the latest version. More often than not, I've been happy with that choice. Even it a new program has a bug, there's usually a patch available pretty quickly.

I am a PSE5 user that is using the 30 trial of PSE7. I have been happy with the change and I am sure I have only scratched the surface of what I can do. I was worried about the darker interface, but find it is easier on my eyes. I also run Vista 64bit and have not had any issues. I plan to purchase the upgrade, although I donot have a Costco close nor am I a member to order....but Staples has a sale right now and I have a coupon, so I will be ok.

There are some fun new featues in 7 and with the sale at Costco, it certainly makes upgrading attractive. And like Sue, I've barely scratched the surface in using the new features - and I've been using it since it came out. LOL I upgraded from 5 to 7 and haven't had the urge to go back to 5 at all. I'm keeping it on my computer so I can help answer questions about it here on the message board, but I'm happy with 7. I was very happy with 5 too.

As a side note, unlike version 6, in 7 you can change the dark interface. There is an adjustment slider under Preferences that you can lighten to any amount you want, up to a light gray. I skipped version 6 because I tried the dark interface and didn't like it.

I am a PSE5 user that is using the 30 trial of PSE7. I have been happy with the change and I am sure I have only scratched the surface of what I can do. I was worried about the darker interface, but find it is easier on my eyes. I also run Vista 64bit and have not had any issues. I plan to purchase the upgrade, although I donot have a Costco close nor am I a member to order....but Staples has a sale right now and I have a coupon, so I will be ok.

You can still order from Costco - I think they charge you 2% if you aren't a member.

There are some fun new featues in 7 and with the sale at Costco, it certainly makes upgrading attractive. And like Sue, I've barely scratched the surface in using the new features - and I've been using it since it came out. LOL I upgraded from 5 to 7 and haven't had the urge to go back to 5 at all. I'm keeping it on my computer so I can help answer questions about it here on the message board, but I'm happy with 7. I was very happy with 5 too.

As a side note, unlike version 6, in 7 you can change the dark interface. There is an adjustment slider under Preferences that you can lighten to any amount you want, up to a light gray. I skipped version 6 because I tried the dark interface and didn't like it.

Thanks for that bit of info on PSE7, Pat. That is good to know. That is one reason that I didn't use PSE6 because of the dark interface. I still use PSE5 and I love it. So I will now have, PSE5, PSE6 and PSE7 on my computer. I know that you can only run one at a time. I'm looking forward to the mailman delivering my new PSE7. I couldn't resist that price and since my friend has an Costco account, I bought it. Already have Ro's Secrets to 7 and I think More Secrets. If I don't have More Secrets at the next sale it will definitely go into my shopping cart.

Since you have been using PE7 after coming from PE5, you are probably the best person to ask about the differences between the two programs! I knew about the feature for changing the interface and I also know that to switch to a different document using the Photo Bin you must double-click on a photo rather than just click it once.

I would really like to know about the new actions player. Can you use regular photoshop actions in it or do you still have to get the actions/effects designed for PE?

Are there any other new features or ways in which the program operates differently to PE5, especially with regard to digiscrapping?

Thanks for your input on this!

I upgraded from 5 to 7 too and have been very happy with the change. I have been using 7 since it came out and would certainly do it again.

One thing to note for those thinking of upgrading from 5 is that Adobe has announced that it will no longer offer support for version 5.

I really liked being able to adjust the darkness of the interface - there is a separate preference for the Organizer than the Editor so you can adjust them independently. Also, if you use the Organizer, it functions differently (and much more smoothly) in PSE 7.

I LOVE the Actions player and use it all the time - I have found it easier to use than I did in 5. I have quite a few actions but they are specific to Elements - I think they still have to be because there are still some things that only the full version of Photoshop can do.

One thing I know some people who upgrade from 5 to 7 have expressed concerns about is dragging items into a document. If you have your layout in the Photo Bin, you have to drag the new item DOWN into your layout instead of the other way around. If you do it the other way, it becomes a "smart object" which will not be the right size and will have a box around it. The other way to do it is to have your windows in Cascade mode and drag from one window to another. Just something to keep in mind to avoid future frustrations.

The other thing I like about 7 (it is available in 6 but not 5) is the Smart Brush options (for doing things like enhancing details, whitening teeth and brightening up the sky). Now that I figured out how they work I use them all the time on my photos.

Hope this helps people still deciding!

Will my PSE 5 Organizer tags work in PSE 7??

Kim,

Yes they will work - just don't uninstall 5 until after you install 7. After you install 7 and open the Organizer you can import the 5 catalog for version 7 and the tags will come with it.

Will my PSE 5 Organizer tags work in PSE 7??

Kim,

Yes they will work - just don't uninstall 5 until after you install 7. After you install 7 and open the Organizer you can import the 5 catalog for version 7 and the tags will come with it.

Thanks for the good information!

If you drag items down to place them on your layout, does the image name go with it? What I mean is right now, in PSE 5.0, when I pull something up from the photo bin onto my layer, the layer takes on the name of the product. Does it do that in 7?

If you drag items down to place them on your layout, does the image name go with it? What I mean is right now, in PSE 5.0, when I pull something up from the photo bin onto my layer, the layer takes on the name of the product. Does it do that in 7?

If you drag UP from the photo bin, it will take the name with it, but the image will be a smart object until you simplify the layer. If you drag DOWN it will make a new layer but not change the name. Smart objects are like custom shapes - you can resize them up and down without losing image quality. If you don't want the hassle of remembering to simplify the layer, you can just drag the other way and rename. Also, if you use File>Place it will add the name of the file and you don't have to do the simplifying thing (you just need to navigate to the folder where your item is).

Hope that helps (and isn't too confusing)!

I'm resisting upgrading to 7. I have 5, and am really happy with it. I'm not sure I want to deal with reloading all the brushes, styles, actions etc. Reading all this makes me reconsider a little bit, but so far I don't see any reason to change right now. I'll be interested in seeing if there are any more replies.

I went for it. I'm not a costco member so I had to pay a $4 extra charge. Not bad at all. The total came out around $66. I could not get a better deal anywhere else. Now to wait for the mailman to bring it!

Wow, $66!! That is a great deal. It makes me want to consider an upgrade :) My Birthday is tomorrow, and I am very very tempted!!!! :)

I'm resisting upgrading to 7. I have 5, and am really happy with it. I'm not sure I want to deal with reloading all the brushes, styles, actions etc. Reading all this makes me reconsider a little bit, but so far I don't see any reason to change right now. I'll be interested in seeing if there are any more replies.

I was thinking this too, but since I am just getting into styles and brushes and don't have that many, I decided that this was the best way to go. Plus it made for a really nice Happy Birthday to ME present. LOL I sure haven't regretted it one bit, but then I've only used it about 2 weeks.

I went for it. I'm not a costco member so I had to pay a $4 extra charge. Not bad at all. The total came out around $66. I could not get a better deal anywhere else. Now to wait for the mailman to bring it!

This sold me, I ordered too. The best price I could find here was at Staples and it was $99.99 with a $20 rebate. So looks like I saved $13.00 - hmmmm, Boutique money for sure!

What about all the differences in loading styles? It seems like in 7 it is alot more difficult. Is that the case? And what about dragging up or down and names staying or going. Is it a huge inconvenience to get used to the new way in 7?

Wow, $66!! That is a great deal. It makes me want to consider an upgrade :) My Birthday is tomorrow, and I am very very tempted!!!! :)

Happy early Birthday! :birthday: I would be very tempted if it was my bday!!

It's not my bday, and I'm trying to be frugal, so I will be content to watch you shop!

What about all the differences in loading styles? It seems like in 7 it is alot more difficult. Is that the case? And what about dragging up or down and names staying or going. Is it a huge inconvenience to get used to the new way in 7?

To me, it doesn't seem that 7 is more difficult, and it doesn't take long to get used to the difference. Once you learn how to get your styles to show up I don't think it's hard. After you do it a few times I think it goes pretty easy (I've added probably 20+ styles since I got 7). And it's only styles that have the new way of adding them (if you want them to show up in the list) - brushes, shapes, etc. are the same (they go in the Presets folder). I guess the dragging and name thing depends on how invested you are in the name going with it. Since the file names can get kind of long, I almost always changed them anyway.

Just my two cents. Also, I guess I'm happier knowing that I have a version Adobe still supports.

Happy Birthday Kim!

Now that i've read through this thread, I'm really tempted to upgrade but a little scared about it too. So, if I do upgrade, and install PSE 7, does everything I've installed since I've had PSE 5 still work?

Now that i've read through this thread, I'm really tempted to upgrade but a little scared about it too. So, if I do upgrade, and install PSE 7, does everything I've installed since I've had PSE 5 still work?

Sally, this is a good question and one that I had before I got PSE6. I have PSE4 too. You will have two programs on your computer now. What you loaded in PSE5l will still work for 5 (styles, brushes), but if you want those same things in 7 you will have to put them into 7's inventory....Check your install

directions that come with the SG styles and such to see how/ where to load them.

The only thing is you cannot have both programs open at the same time. There are some things I really like 4 for, and some I like in 6, so I have to

close the 4 then opened the 6 to do my adjustments.

I hope I understood your question :D

• 1 month later...

I'm trying the trial version of 7 for the very reason that I cannot see on the very dark interfaces of 6. You mentioned a slider under preferences to adjust the lighting. I can't find it. Can you walk me through it a bit more?

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia

I have all 3 versions on my computer. I love PSE5, PSE6 is okay, and I'm learning PSE7 now. They always change things when they upgrade, if it's not broke don't fix it. But I'm learning to live with the changes. I still use PSE5 when I'm on my desktop. I use PSE6 or 7 when I'm using my laptop, because PSE5 is not installed on it. The two things that I did not like about 6 or 7 was the dark interface and the ability to increase or decrease the size of your layout on screen without having to use the Ctrl + or CTRL-. Fixed both problems, so for right now, I'm happy.

I should pipe in here since I asked the original question. I do NOT regret the upgrade. I love PSE 7. It works so much better with Vista. There were some new things to learn, but not a problem. And since Adobe wasn't supporting PSE 5 anymore, the timing was right. Maybe someday I'll get CS, but for now this is good.

With Adobe not supporting PSE5 is the reason why I purchased the upgrades. Plus the fact that I wasn't able, af first, to load PSE5 on my new computer. For some reason it wasn't working with Vista. But then by some minor miracle, it started to work. I'm not sorry either that I spent the money to upgrade. I don't know if I'll ever go the CS route. PSE is fine with me, besides I understand that CS is more for professionall types.

Archived