New Hard Drive Worth It?

Calling Computer Fixer Upper people! We got (free!) a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop from my uncle a while back. Sadly, it didn't last terribly long before I got the icky blue screen. Actually 2 screens. The first says basically Back up your stuff now, hard drive failure is imminent. (Now that is encouraging :-)

If I hit F1 as instructed I get the following:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" etc etc

So a couple questions - #1 this pretty much started after I added some RAM to the computer. I am pretty sure I did it right but maybe not? Might this be the problem? #2 From the searching I did online it appears this model of computer has had some major issues with hard drives. Does anyone have any experience with them that could indicate if it is worth trying a new hard drive? I am willing to sink a LITTLE money into it since we got it free, mainly for Alex to use for internet and school work.

So I know we are not a Computer Fix Shop, but thought I would float those questions before I take it to a shop. Background info and all :-) Thanks!!

how much do you value what is on the laptop and is it all backed up?

Me personally I would cut my losses. I am not an expert but we have twice now put money into trying to fix/improve a laptop and both times it has been just throwing the money away.

Sorry, this may not be what you want to hear.

I don't know much about computers, either, but if you have everything backed up, I'd invest money in a new machine. If you need data off that drive, you're going to experience some sticker shock when you take it in to recover it, but it is possible to recover data from a defunct hard drive.

Good luck!

I looked up the Compaq Presario 2100 on HP's website for the specs. It was released in 1997 as an entry-level laptop. Based on that information alone, I'd be reluctant to put a lot of money into trying to upgrade it.

The spec's say maximum RAM is 128MB. Since RAM chips are pretty standard, just because you can ADD a 1GB chip, doesn't mean that the computer can use/recognize it. If you want to further dialog on this PC, let me know, but if the specs I'm looking at are what you have, it's probably worth saving your $$ for a current laptop that will get you so much further with a lot less frustration.

Incompatible Ram and or bad Ram can cause this. Try taking out what you added and see if it helps. I had this happen on a Dell laptop and it turned out to be a bad Ram stick.

Archived