Scanner Suggestion

Just this week I purchased an Epson V500 Photo scanner (based on posts by ScrappinDoc). This scanner is fantastic and does paper, photos, negatives and slides; although I won't be testing the slide part until next week but the photo part is just great.

the V500 does not do the large format. One downside. I am loving mine, but haven't really had as much time to play with it as I'd like yet. I just this week unearthed a box of old negatives I'm dying to get scanned. I haven't done my 35mm slides yet either.

• 2 months later...

Most scanners won't do 12x12 - the bed's just aren't big enough. Epson does make one but it's really huge!

Usually, they come with sample software, my Epson came with ArcSoft's Panorama Maker, which "stitches" together pieces of jpg's to make a full 12x12. I created an album for my uncle from one that was falling apart and wanted the images for myself. Here's a LO I scanned and stitched together back then.

I've since changed over to an HP G4010 (because I get a discount). One thing I haven't tried is...it appears I could place multiple photos on the glass and have it scan them as separate jpg's - which could speed things up - if I'd get scanning again.

BTW, I also scanned all of the images at original size and higher resolutions in case I wanted to enlarge them. So my uncle thought I was being "nice" but I got some great digi heritage photos out of the deal!

The ArcSoft stitching software is really easy to use. I would recommend a legal sized scanner so you can scan a 12" page in two passes (it takes 4 with a standard sized one.) I scanned six really thick albums of my paper layouts a few years ago, and I did them most of them in about 2 days. Of course I didn't do much else. ;)

Most scanners won't do 12x12 - the bed's just aren't big enough. Epson does make one but it's really huge!

Usually, they come with sample software, my Epson came with ArcSoft's Panorama Maker, which "stitches" together pieces of jpg's to make a full 12x12. I created an album for my uncle from one that was falling apart and wanted the images for myself. Here's a LO I scanned and stitched together back then.

I've since changed over to an HP G4010 (because I get a discount). One thing I haven't tried is...it appears I could place multiple photos on the glass and have it scan them as separate jpg's - which could speed things up - if I'd get scanning again.

BTW, I also scanned all of the images at original size and higher resolutions in case I wanted to enlarge them. So my uncle thought I was being "nice" but I got some great digi heritage photos out of the deal!

WOW You can't SEE the STITCHES. . .Oh my word gotta google that software. . .Thanks for the tip. . .

Well I have older Lexmark P4350 all in one (printer/scanner/fax) & LOVE IT. . .BUT the cost of ink (in photo quailty) can be high, so I posted a few days ago to see if anyone has the Kodak ESP 5 as I am thinking of asking for it for my B-day. . .The ink costs are half or less than half of what I spend now. . .But I don't know how the pix look on that model. . .Sooooooo I'm just testing the waters now. . .So perhaps you might think about an all in one if your current equipment isn't too new that is. . .LOL. . .Before I got my lexmark I had a Bear Paw Sanner & it worked great too. . .Good shopp'n to you. . .

What I've found in looking around at scanners on occasion that to get a scanner that can do more than legal paper size you are probably going to pay over $1000. Stitching parts together works pretty well. :)

What I've found in looking around at scanners on occasion that to get a scanner that can do more than legal paper size you are probably going to pay over $1000. Stitching parts together works pretty well. :)

I agree... which is why I was waiting... but seeing the results I think I will get it sooner than later! :)

Archived